Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

james1758

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2013
UK
Well, I've had iPhones since iPhone2 but switched up to a BlackBerry Bold instead of getting a 4S (I have gone back to the iPhone5 within the past 6months though:p).

The thing (and probably only thing) I miss from the BB was the presence of physical keyboard, I find it so much more easy to use and im not saying touch keyboards aren't bad, just physical keyboards are better.

Do you guys reckon there will be a physical keyboard iPhone in the near future, or would you say that apple will stick completely with full touch screen?

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Most people disagree with you. I find the physical keyboard difficult to use, takes up too much real estate and is way too limiting. It's gone the way of the dodo bird.... and it's a good thing. :cool:

wgnoyes

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
Go back and listen to the 2007 Macworld Keynote address where Steve Jobs introduced the iPhone and he'll explain why Apple doesn't like physical keyboards in a handheld device.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I doubt you will ever see a physical keyboard on an iPhone. I hear BB is still making phones if you want one though.

james1758

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2013
UK
Most people disagree with you. I find the physical keyboard difficult to use, takes up too much real estate and is way too limiting. It's gone the way of the dodo bird.... and it's a good thing. :cool:

Yeah i guessed a few people would disagree with me :p but hey I'm more than happy with a touch screen keyboard, just I have wide thumbs so a protruding key is easier for me:D

----------

I doubt you will ever see a physical keyboard on an iPhone. I hear BB is still making phones if you want one though.

I regretted the BB purchase so much i cancelled 6months into an 18month contract :p apart from the keyboard i hated it!

james1758

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2013
UK

james1758

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2013
UK
:D how did you find the s4?

Not that bad, I just think after being with apple for so long I'm finding it hard to switch. Not because of the 'apple' brand, but because of their OS :)

----------

Same situation with my macs, I'd switch over to another manufacturer if their OS wasn't vastly inferior to apples.

jer04

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2012
Townsville, Australia
Not that bad, I just think after being with apple for so long I'm finding it hard to switch. Not because of the 'apple' brand, but because of their OS :)

----------

Same situation with my macs, I'd switch over to another manufacturer if their OS wasn't vastly inferior to apples.

:p I was going to say there were some android phones with physical keyboards.

Same here, I stick with iphone and mac just for the OS. I tried to switch to android and windows phone a couple of times. Personally, I didn't like them. Plus, some of my textbooks are on inkling, which is exclusively available on ios. this is making the switch even harder.

james1758

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2013
UK
:p I was going to say there were some android phones with physical keyboards.

Same here, I stick with iphone and mac just for the OS. I tried to switch to android and windows phone a couple of times. Personally, I didn't like them. Plus, some of my textbooks are on inkling, which is exclusively available on ios. this is making the switch even harder.

I think we are both stuck with apple for the near future:rolleyes:

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
If apple ever release an iPhone with a physical keyboard I will go and buy a hat and then eat it.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
I still miss the 2 letter key, virtual keyboard that BB had on the Storm series. It was awesome.

Ugh!!! I had a storm2 until it died in January and I got the iPhone 5. The giant button screen was awful! Also I'm pretty sure the two letter keys started on the pearl.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
I personally prefer landscape slider keyboard phones. If Apple had one 3 years ago when I was looking for a smartphone, I'd most likely be an iPhone user now. Instead, I got a Nokia phone at the time and later switched to an Android phone with a keyboard. I currently have the SGS3 which does not have a keyboard. It took me about 6 months to discover SwiftKey and be finally comfortable with touch screen keyboards. I'm currently using SwiftKey (for landscape) and the Google (for portrait) keyboards.

I never really liked the BlackBerry keyboard. I find the keys are too small and too close together. It also takes up space which reduces the size of the screen.

I doubt that Apple will make a phone with a physical keyboard. Even other manufacturers are moving to phones that just use the screen keyboard now. I was unable to find one that was current when I was looking for a phone last year.

I think keyboards on phones will be obsolete in the future. Only BlackBerry is making an effort to make decent phones with keyboards. All of the other manufacturers that make keyboard phones make them as an afterthought. They are always lower end models.

HCO

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
Memphis,Tenneessee
love my touch screen keyboard. i would leave apple it they made a physical keyboard i would rather have a flip phone if i was wanting a physical keyboard.

mlmwalt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2010
Philadelphia, Pa, USA
Ugh!!! I had a storm2 until it died in January and I got the iPhone 5. The giant button screen was awful! Also I'm pretty sure the two letter keys started on the pearl.

The 2 letter keys did start on the Pearl. I actually had one of those for a couple of weeks before getting my Storm 2. I still miss that keyboard and the BB programmable dictionary. The two of them together made typing so fast once you were used to the keyboard, and had the dictionary populated with your words.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Physical keyboards are dead. Get over it. Quit hanging on. They won't come back. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.