Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Firaxis Games' XCOM: Enemy Unknown will hit the App Store on Thursday, June 20. The title, which was released for the Mac in April, is a re-imagined version of the classic 1994 game X-Com: UFO Defense.

xcom.jpg
In the game, players will command XCOM soldiers in turn-based battles, build up an elite squad with unique skills and abilities, and manage base resources.
XCOM: Enemy Unknown for iOS takes the complete XCOM experience of the console and PC version of the game and optimizes it for the touch interface of iOS devices.
XCOM: Enemy Unknown will run on the iPad 2 and up, the iPad mini, the fifth generation iPod touch, and the iPhone 4S and up. The app is universal and will feature Game Center and iCloud support, with multiplayer gameplay coming later. It will be available on Thursday, June 20 for $19.99.

Article Link: 'XCOM: Enemy Unknown' Coming to iOS This Thursday

Gabik123

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2009
While I paid for this game at release on my PC/Mac and have beaten it at least twice, I will be buying it again and playing it all over again on my ipad. An absolutely fantastic game well worth $20. Hopefully the interface/movement/combat controls don't make me second-guess that decision!

This + KOTOR are making my ipad my go-to gaming device of late...

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
For those that have played it on a console or PC, can you comment on how well you think the controls will adapt?
Obviously they could do it terribly or wonderfully, I'm just wondering if you think the controls will be inherently bad unless something new and inventive is brought to the table to make it work.

Thanks!

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
OMG

$20!?

IT SHOULD BE FREE

THEY'D MAKE SO MUCH MORE MONEY IF IT WAS FREE

DUMMY DEVELOPER

... I wanted to say that's the kinds of reviews this would get on the app store, but thinking about it, at $20, they've probably priced themselves out of devaluing reviews like that. That's why I never drop below $2 - it ensures I never have to deal with the whiners from free and $1 apps.

Renzatic

Suspended
For those that have played it on a console or PC, can you comment on how well you think the controls will adapt?
Obviously they could do it terribly or wonderfully, I'm just wondering if you think the controls will be inherently bad unless something new and inventive is brought to the table to make it work.

Thanks!

It's practically built for touch controls. The only bad thing I can imagine coming up from the port would be the inclusion of a few more onscreen buttons, which could obscure some of the onscreen action. But this is just me thinking of potential problems, and isn't based off anything I've seen from the screenshots or videos.

Just found this...

It's taken a good hit to graphics quality, but it looks and plays just like the PC/Mac and console versions. Hell, I'll buy it. :D

Last edited:

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Pfft. If it isn't free (requiring hundreds of dollars in in-app purchases to play the game) I want nothing to do with it.

Well, that, or it would have to involve a tiny tower or some pissed off birds...

Pass

MacGuffin

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2006
Playing this now as a rental for the 360. It is mildly interesting, if a bit lifeless. The encounters become routine, with the upgrade paths providing most of the connect-the-dots flavor.

IOS bugginess/crashing/unreliability should add some unexpectedly amusing wrinkles. I imagine the griping on the app store will have more gusto than the game. ;-)

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
I'm also playing this through on 360 at the moment, and love it, perhaps I’m not very good at it, but I’m enjoying the tactical challenge, although there is some instances where inexplicably all the enemies on the level suddenly just pile in on me, and wipe out half my crew, forcing a frustrated restart (yes cheat!)

To be honest, if I didn't already have this on 360, I'd get it for iPad simply to do my part to encourage developers to produce iOS ports and content.

It also handily demonstrates that dependent on input methods, console content can definitely port near enough wholesale to mobile devices.

While some may balk at the comparative price of these (and for instance squenix games) It certainly bridges the gap between $50 console titles and $1 iOS ones.

Raima

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2010
I'm going to have to give this game a miss for $20.

Might add it to the app shopper list and reconsider it when there's a price drop.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Bought it for the PC, Got it free as my PSN+ game this month, now will be buying it again for the iPhone/iPad

Nice to see iPHONE support as well as pad, i was disappointed that Kotor was iPad only.

Guess this will see me through whilst i wait for the SpaceHulk vapourware

FoxHoundADAM

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
Oklahoma
I don't know how people can complain about the price. This is the same game that retails for $40 on PC/360/PS3 right now ($50 for Mac). Heck you're getting it 50% off.

Plonked

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2013
It says it supports iCloud. Does that mean I can carry on my saves from my mac version of the game?

otismotive77

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2013
the UI and graphics look awesome, showing each and every detail in an interactive way. can't wait! good going apple!

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012

Thanks!

I play it on my Surface RT all the time and the controls work very well with just touch.

blitzer09x87

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2013
wow, that seems amazing. i hope the new controllers coming for the iphone are compatible with this game.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.