Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

awesomest47

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2012
Developers will make apps for the App Store with secret tethering features and then are quickly deleted by Apple. Something tells me Apple won't really check these forums, so if anyone knows any apps that do enable tethering from the App Store (without requiring a jailbreak!) share them here :) idk any.. still looking :(

Last edited by a moderator:

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
So basically, you want everyone to compile a list for you? Google does that for you....besides, usually when these apps leak, MR posts it.:D

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Usually when an app has hidden tethering features its removed from the appstore within hours.
So far there isn't anything out there and when it is you gotta be lucky and very fast to download it before its gone.

awesomest47

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2012
I found something!!!

Thank's for everyone's input. However, I have found a tethering solution!! No app OR jailbreak required. Just pop a foreign SIM card into your unlocked sprint/verizon iPhone, the phone will activate the GSM radio, thus enabling the tethering app. Your iPhone will start roaming onto T-mobile or AT&T of course this would incur huge roaming charges. Pop out the sim, your phone will go back on Sprint but STAY ON PERSONAL HOTSPOT! bam!! Free personal hotspot!! I just saw this in a video though. Any confirmation?? This could be a big deal!!!

Jades

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2012
Thank's for everyone's input. However, I have found a tethering solution!! No app OR jailbreak required. Just pop a foreign SIM card into your unlocked sprint/verizon iPhone, the phone will activate the GSM radio, thus enabling the tethering app. Your iPhone will start roaming onto T-mobile or AT&T of course this would incur huge roaming charges. Pop out the sim, your phone will go back on Sprint but STAY ON PERSONAL HOTSPOT! bam!! Free personal hotspot!! I just saw this in a video though. Any confirmation?? This could be a big deal!!!

Tried this already. Personal hotspot will disappear and turn itself off. Don't waste your time

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010

Doesn't work. Hotspot will disappear once you go back to native carriers SIM.

But with included hotspot on a shared data plan, tethering is old tech now.

awesomest47

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2012
Man... So going to buy a tethering app!! The hard thing will be finding one :( will find out! What if there was some way to share an app like this over iOS devices? This thread will help when one does come out!

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Man... So going to buy a tethering app!! The hard thing will be finding one :( will find out! What if there was some way to share an app like this over iOS devices? This thread will help when one does come out!

You seem like a bit of a spaz. Jailbreak your phone and download miwi, done and not with all the drama you seem to have.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008

Hey you saw that on a youtube video?
Then its gotta be for real.
NOT:D

awesomest47

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2012
I heard that jailbreaking your iPhone opens up a world of viruses. Heck, my iPad already has some unknown virus and it's not jailbroken. Plus, I would miss of Apple's updates if I had jb.

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
I heard that jailbreaking your iPhone opens up a world of viruses. Heck, my iPad already has some unknown virus and it's not jailbroken. Plus, I would miss of Apple's updates if I had jb.

AFAIK, there is no iOS viruses out there on the web. Especially if your iPad isn't jailbroken.

awesomest47

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2012
Ok... Well this thread is completely useless now.. How does anyone know when these apps come out anyways? I heard it was an annual thing on Memorial Day every year. Did any of you ever download BSOD Reaction Time? By the way I am not a SPAZ!! I just don't want to risk jailbreaking- I bricked my 3GS and rendered an iPod Touch useless. Lesson learned. Plus, doesn't Mywi cost $20?

zencowboy

macrumors member
May 5, 2010
Colorado
AT&T just sent me the Infamous "Did you know Tethering requires a shared plan?"

I was using pdanet (which I liked) for 2 months and only used little over 2GB this month when I got the notice. I moved to the countryside and have not option for wifi out here.

I soooooooooooooo believe we should be able to use our data we payed for to tether and not be charged to use same data a different way. We Americans pay the most for our cell service than any other 3rd world country.

We need to wake up and stop taking it in the @ss by them!

At&t calls it an Upgrade which is so BS!
On Unlimited Plan (which is an oxymoron) we get 5GB per month and no throttling Until we pass the 5GB.

Well, on At&t so-called upgrade, you get 4GB a month for around $25 more to pay per month and they say they will throttle you after using half of it (2GB) down to Edge speed. That is an upgrade???

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Ok... Well this thread is completely useless now.. How does anyone know when these apps come out anyways? I heard it was an annual thing on Memorial Day every year.

Nobody knows if or when they come out. There is no annual thing or set dates.
Whenever some brave developer decides to slip one by Apple and get their account banned by Apple

JoshGlzBrk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2009
I just switched from at&t with an unlimited plan to verizon with an unlimited plan with the option of adding on unlimited lte tethering. :D

(It isn't cheap)

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
http://tether.com/
It works similar to the sneaky apps, such that you have to keep safari open I'm order for tethering to work. It's not a hotspot, you will have to configure it for your laptop. It's pretty easy. You can't enable hotspot tethering without a jailbreak because if I am not mistaken, Apple does not give developers access to it,

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009

How??? If this was a problem it would be big news. I smell BS.

chuffman15

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2011
Martinsburg, WV
Tether

this isnt really a secret. but theres a website/app that will let you tether your iphones cellular signal to your laptops through wifi. it costs like 30-40$ a year. it uses your iphones data. i have unlimited sprint, i use 10gb a month and they havent said anything to me. i work security at night and abuse the internet through the tether app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.