Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Omnius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2012
I agree. The Mac Mini and iMac will get a bump to Haswell in Q3 or Q4.

The notebooks will be in the limelight for now.

Hopefully the Mac Pro falls into place between now and end of 2013.

It's almost unreasonable to say anytime before Q4. January of 2014 is inline with mac mini release times.

The current mini is quite nice, if you need a new computer, it's not unreasonable to upgrade now.

uniq

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2013
It's almost unreasonable to say anytime before Q4. January of 2014 is inline with mac mini release times.

January? Previous release dates:

??? 2013
Oct 2012
Jul 2011
Jun 2010
Oct 2009
Mar 2009

Raima

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2010
I'm in the same boat, and looking at purchasing a Mac Mini.

Like many have said, if you need it now, buy it, but if you need reasons, these may help you to hold out.

I'm holding out for the following reasons:

Haswell Chipset
Intel HD 4600
OS X 10.9
Wifi AC (possibly)

Omnius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2012
January? Previous release dates:

Oct 2012
Jul 2011
Jun 2010
Oct 2009
Mar 2009

Thats not a terribly accurate way to view how releases are done. Look at the lapse of time between releases, a far more representative means of measurement than randomly looking at the months. The last 2 releases have been 400+ days. So looking at your depiction, the most accurate way of looking at the leases is that there hasn't been a release shorter than 400 days since 2010. In addition, apple doesnt release intel's chipsets early.

Apple won't release until after haswell mobile and after they have the whole package designed for the new wireless. In other words, don't even bother speculating about the mini until has well mobile is out. Then it will be possible to speculate. As an additional note, it's likely apple may revamp the appearance or make substantial changes to the internals of the next mini.

uniq

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2013
Thats not a terribly accurate way to view how releases are done.

I agree. However it was posted as a question to where January came from.

Look at the lapse of time between releases, a far more representative means of measurement than randomly looking at the months. The last 2 releases have been 400+ days. So looking at your depiction, the most accurate way of looking at the leases is that there hasn't been a release shorter than 400 days since 2010. In addition, apple doesnt release intel's chipsets early.

This isn't particularly accurate either and there's lot's of metrics involved. Based on past releases only it could be anywhere between Q2-Q4 with Q3/Q4 looking mostly likely depending on release of the chipsets used.

Apple won't release until after haswell mobile and after they have the whole package designed for the new wireless. In other words, don't even bother speculating about the mini until has well mobile is out. Then it will be possible to speculate. As an additional note, it's likely apple may revamp the appearance or make substantial changes to the internals of the next mini.

I would be surprised if the appearance was 'revamped' significantly tbh. i7 Mobiles are ready just i3/i5 expected for Q3 afaik? Depending on what's announced at WWDC for Mac Books could give an indication of the processors that will be in the mini's.

Omnius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2012
I agree. However it was posted as a question to where January came from.
January is based on an approximate day count in line with the most recent day counts for this style of mini.

This isn't particularly accurate either and there's lot's of metrics involved. Based on past releases only it could be anywhere between Q2-Q4 with Q3/Q4 looking mostly likely depending on release of the chipsets used.
You generally look to the most recent releases. There is not the slightest chance of a Q2 mini. That's just not happening. The last 2 releases have been 400+ days.

The next major factor is iMac info. The imac and mac mini updates have been released together lately. The imac only recently began shipping BTO right away. That means apple had/has sufficient demand on this model to be backed up until recently. It's likely that they still have strong sales of the iMac (assuming the sales didn't just magically drop off a cliff). Apple has established by business practice a routine that they will not announce/release the new model desktop until demand on the existing model begins to taper off. They do so because to announce or release a newer model earlier would risk cannibalizing the sales of the existing model (after all, few people would buy a machine today if they knew a better one was coming out in the next 30-60 days).

I would be surprised if the appearance was 'revamped' significantly tbh. i7 Mobiles are ready just i3/i5 expected for Q3 afaik? Depending on what's announced at WWDC for Mac Books could give an indication of the processors that will be in the mini's.
I believe you're looking at mini release dates with the following perspective. The chipset is released by intel, and apple necessarily releases the next generation ASAP. This doesn't take into account Apple's most recent business practices and the relevant indicators that people that watch the Apple desktop market closely have identified as relevant.

To go as soon as Q3, Apple would have to make a massive shift in the way they're updating their desktop platforms. Q4 is early but still arguably in line with existing estimates. January is more in line with past releases by Apple.

uniq

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2013
I believe you're looking at mini release dates with the following perspective. The chipset is released by intel, and apple necessarily releases the next generation ASAP.

Not quite. Partly hedging it on being a tock that it will be more of a priority not to skip or delay too long. And also somewhat but less so on the Mini US rumour. Just because the past 2 releases have been 4xx days isn't an indication of future releases.

We can speculate until 'the cows come home'. I'm certainly in the sooner rather than later camp though :)

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
Not quite. Partly hedging it on being a tock that it will be more of a priority not to skip or delay too long. And also somewhat but less so on the Mini US rumour. Just because the past 2 releases have been 4xx days isn't an indication of future releases.

We can speculate until 'the cows come home'. I'm certainly in the sooner rather than later camp though :)

That would actually seem to be the most logical indication we have to base future releases on :)

Dentifrice

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2008
Now that mac pro and macbook air have PCIe SSD, do you think this could be the standard of future macs ?

If so, I suppose there are big chances that the design (at least, internal design) will change in the next mac mini.

I worried that it will probably be less customizable (like adding a second hard drive).

I'm thinking of upgrading my mac mini to the lastest 2012 now. Apple seems to think that external storage/devices is the future if we look at the new mac pro.

Superman07

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Could somebody address Intel pipeline and possible next Mini revisions? The new Air seems to have improved Intel graphics, but I can see those Haswell chops being used. There is now performance v battery life trade off in a Mini. Would a small spec bump from current Mac Book Pro make sense?

riverpoet

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2008
MBA update is pretty cool.

Now gimme a Mac mini with decent mobile Haswell Core i7 (Geekbench 10000+), HD5000 graphics, PCIe 256GB SSD!!!

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
Now that mac pro and macbook air have PCIe SSD, do you think this could be the standard of future macs ?

If so, I suppose there are big chances that the design (at least, internal design) will change in the next mac mini.

I worried that it will probably be less customizable (like adding a second hard drive).

I'm thinking of upgrading my mac mini to the lastest 2012 now. Apple seems to think that external storage/devices is the future if we look at the new mac pro.

Apple has already been moving toward that form factor (small daughtercard SSD's), even with SATA. Right now the Mini and the MBP Classic are the only systems left that still use regular SATA drives (whether magnetic or SSD).

The next Mini will most likely use a PCIe drive just like the new Airs. Waaaaay faster than SATA-3, and no real aftermarket alternatives until OWC catches up.

So basically there's an incentive to get the Apple-provided SSD in the Haswell mac mini vs. putting in a standard one, if you want the ultimate speed possible.

hleewell

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
Apple has already been moving toward that form factor (small daughtercard SSD's), even with SATA. Right now the Mini and the MBP Classic are the only systems left that still use regular SATA drives (whether magnetic or SSD).

The next Mini will most likely use a PCIe drive just like the new Airs. Waaaaay faster than SATA-3, and no real aftermarket alternatives until OWC catches up.

So basically there's an incentive to get the Apple-provided SSD in the Haswell mac mini vs. putting in a standard one, if you want the ultimate speed possible.

I will be all over the new Mac Mini if Apple includes that new PCIe drive.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
I will be all over the new Mac Mini if Apple includes that new PCIe drive.

If they go all-flash with the next revision, and use the PCIe daughtercards, it would free up some volume inside the case. So, considering that the Mini has been the same for the past 3 revisions, I wonder if it's going to use a new design for Haswell? Without mechanical hard drives it could be... thinner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.