Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Mac Otakara points to a blog post [Google translation] from case design firm MGM showing off a new case intended to fit Apple's rumored lower-cost iPhone. The photos reveal a case that is largely identical to iPhone 5 cases, with the exception of being approximately 2 mm thicker.

iphone_5_low_cost_case_1.jpg
iphone_5_low_cost_case_2.jpg
iPhone 5 case (left) vs. lower-cost iPhone case (right)
Mac Otakara has also posted a hands-on video of the case. In the video, an iPhone 5 is placed into the case and appears to fit fairly well. It is clear, however, that the case is intended for a device with rounded edges rather than the squared edges of the iPhone 5.

Descriptions of the lower-cost iPhone having curved rear edges date back to a January report from iLounge that suggested the device would adopt curvature similar to the iPod classic, while appearing as a cross between the iPhone 5 and fifth-generation iPod touch in other respects.

Apple's lower-cost iPhone is expected to be introduced in the September timeframe and has been rumored to be including a number of color options in order to help differentiate the device from Apple's main iPhone line.

Case designs have accurately hinted at Apple's design plans a number of times in the past, although case makers have on occasion been fooled as was seen in 2011.

Article Link: Case for Lower-Cost iPhone with Thicker Profile and Curved Edges Surfaces

nunomoreira10

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2013
that case looks great!

with this, how can we now if the reveled internals are for the 5s or for the low cost one?

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I assume a cheaper iPhone would use the previous generation internals for cost reasons. But where would this leave the iPod Touch, which seems quite overpriced at the moment?

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
I thought they somewhat addressed this with the iPhone Trade-in program they announced.

However this is interesting.

Laco

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2008
If it is around $300 without a contract I will buy one. I actually prefer the smooth edges look. I used to use a white macbook which I loved the look of.

ghostlines

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2010
Amsterdam
I don't believe a low cost iphone is going to be launched, isn't that what the old iPhone models are for? And I assume iOS will keep demanding better specs so why bring out a lower cost iPhone? What would differentiate and still allow it to run the latest iOS version smoothly?

Abobrek

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2012
So, because a company decides to make a case for something, it will fit the actual product?

Start your 3-D printers folks, let's make some cases for iPhone form factors we would like to see.

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
Ugh. I guess it's back to the 3GS level of uglyness for iPhone.

But the 3GS is considerably more durable. Most AT&T stores I go to hated the all glass iPhone 4 because damages were so high.

My opinion is that they are getting up to drop all Samsung processors, so all the iPhone 4 lineup will drop this fall. You'll have the 5S same as current 5, and a new 5-lite with a few downgraded parts, plastic rear cover, TSMC-made processor, etc to knock $100 off the price. Apple has gone out of their way to knock off all the other not-tall retina display devices.

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
Front page news right here! I mean, how much lower cost can they possibly be?

Seeing as how an 8gb iPhone 4 is $450, and an iPad Mini is $329... I'd say at least $120 cheaper. They probably would love to hit the $249 price point without contract, but even a $299 iPhone without contract would sell like crazy.

The US is not the only place where people buy iPhones.

SSDGUY

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2009
Rounded Wins

I just got a 4S a while back and though it's obviously a fair bit thinner than my old 3GS, I prefer rounded edges. Slides into pockets easier and doesn't create a sharp defined profile in jeans fabric. Easier/more comfortable grip too, IMO. I like the look of the sharper clean edge, but I'd love to a see a 5s with eased edges. I doubt it though, since ergonomics are something Apple seems to despise more and more (ie. magic mouse … totally unusable for me.)

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
I'm all for it. I don't care if it's a lower-cost iPhone or the new iPhone, I just want one with softened edges. The 3G may have been thick but it was a comfortable device. The hard-edged shape that started with the iPhone 4 was never comfortable to hold and it's part of the reason I've held off on getting a 5 - I hoped that maybe something would convince Apple to redesign rather than continue the same design again for the 5S. I'd even welcome them adding some thickness to bring in this new design. I don't need the world's thinnest phone. I just need it to be comfortable to hold.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Not sure what to think of the case... however I'd vote the Video music as one of the most annoying... X-Files like. :p

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
I don't believe a low cost iphone is going to be launched, isn't that what the old iPhone models are for?

Maybe do away with them. Perhaps when the 5S launches in the fall, the 5 as is won't be sold anymore, but instead, be sold as the low-cost model. Similar internals and a new exterior.

Or maybe the low-cost model will be limited only to developing nations, where the current iPhone offerings, even the cheap 4 models, are still too expensive.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Seeing as how an 8gb iPhone 4 is $450, and an iPad Mini is $329... I'd say at least $120 cheaper. They probably would love to hit the $249 price point without contract, but even a $299 iPhone without contract would sell like crazy.

The US is not the only place where people buy iPhones.

Why would it be cheaper than iPad mini wifi? iPhone 5 16 GB is much more expensive than iPad 4 16GB wifi

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK
I'm guessing well see a slightly thicker version of the iPod touch design for this phone.

macse30

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2009
I don't know what's worse, the jerky hand movements or the music. It's like bad iPron video.

Lefteous

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2007
"Something that fits beautifully in the palm of your hands". That was true for iPhone1+iPhone3GS but not for the current bricks.

Why not make an iPhone that is beautiful and feels great even without an ugly bumper.

djakemc

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
I don't believe a low cost iphone is going to be launched, isn't that what the old iPhone models are for?

This is aimed more towards the countries that have to pay full price for the phone instead of it being a part of the contract. From a business standpoint, it makes perfect sense. You make it low enough where you're still making a profit, but the more phones in the market, the higher revenue from apps, iAds, et cetera. I think they'll make a low cost iPhone, it makes sense.

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
Why would it be cheaper than iPad mini wifi? iPhone 5 16 GB is much more expensive than iPad 4 16GB wifi

That's exactly the point lol. They need to come out with a cheaper iPhone so that people who don't "enjoy" the US subsidies (protip: we don't really enjoy this system) can afford to buy an iPhone.

I suspect that the low-cost iPod Touch is kind of a test run. If they can put out something like that, but a little thicker to accommodate the cellular radios and a little bit bigger battery and sell it at $299 or even $349, it would sell a lot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.