Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last week, Apple released iOS 7 Beta 1 for iPhone to developers. At the same time, it released a new beta for the Apple TV as well.

Users of the Apple TV beta have discovered at least two new features inside. AppleInsider notes that Apple built an iTunes Radio client for the Apple TV -- something that Eddy Cue mentioned during the WWDC Keynote and that Apple has promoted to potential iTunes Radio advertisers -- with in-line video advertisements.

Apple has also added a 'Conference Room Mode' for use in business and academic settings that displays simple instructions for connecting to a Wi-Fi network and sending data from both a Mac or iOS device.

conferenceroommode.jpg
The final version of the Apple TV Beta software should be released alongside iOS 7 in the fall.

Article Link: Apple TV iOS 7 Beta Adds iTunes Radio and Conference Room Display Mode

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
'Conference Room Mode' to me wouldn't imply file sharing but rather video conferencing (like Skype for Xbox with Kinect camera). Not saying it doesn't have merit, but given the title and what we think it does in its current iteration, this doesn't seem like the right title.

santydolby

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2011
Apple TV AirPlay working over enterprise WiFi would and should kick the rear of all those truck-heavy projectors with their clumsy settings, sorry resolutions, and infinite cords. High time!

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
I thought we might have seen new Apple TV hardware at WWDC but that will probably have to wait for the same time the new iPads are released.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
One of the conference rooms here has an Apple TV... I'm not sure which one, it always shows up on my Airplay list. Ooooo trust me it has been very tempting to screw with...

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
If Apple is trying to extend the AppleTV beyond the living room, I hope they will include a basic browser just to handle the web based login found on many networks.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Apple TV for presentations would make life so much simpler and cheaper in enterprise.

We use them in our enterprise to display facts about our company to clients who tour our facility.

zed

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2002
Atlanta, GA
iTunes Extras

Any word on iTunes Extras support for the Apple TV? This is one instance where the word "finally" would actually be appropriate.

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
Is there any significance to the fact they say "computer" and not "Mac"?

Is there any supported way of using Airplay on Windows currently?

Because it is talking about accessing your songs/movies/tvshows in iTunes. If you open iTunes on a windows computer it does allow you to airplay your content to the Apple TV. The icon is not for Airplay mirroring that is Mac and iOS device only.

----------

He said in the video that now you can access your songs in the cloud and not just from iTunes match, you could always do that! I am not subscribed to iTunes match and I can access all my songs in the cloud.

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
I liked hearing that Home Sharing is more reliable. Getting sick of rebooting my AppleTV every time I use it to see my Home Sharing from my server. Hopefully this will finally fix that!

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
'Conference Room Mode'? :faceplam:

How about AirPlay Direct?!?!?!?!

No network needed!
Would instantly buy 65-75 Apple TVs if they had the mythical Airplay Direct feature.

jfx94

macrumors regular
May 22, 2013
where ever I am at.
I can not wait for the day when I can walk into class and give a presentation without having to plug my computer up to a projector or mess with lots of settings. This will be most welcome.

On a side note, lots of educational institutions have very complex wireless networks, sometimes with proxies and firewalls that might limit this from working easily. I wonder how apple will address this.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
I really think the stand alone AppleTV could really be Apple's next big thing if they would open it up and create an AppStore for it. Not only would be be nice to have other 3rd party video streaming apps (HBO Go, Amazon) but I could see a big market for games - especially simple family type games where other iOS devices or BT devices could be the controllers. I'm thinking trivia type games, family feud, dictionary etc. I could also see market for video conferencing/viewing (like how apple does their WWDC stream other companies/events could have their own app and stream).

The biggest obstacle with the current release is storage. I believe it only has 8gb which is primarily used for buffering. To allow apps it would take away from that. What I'd like to see is more of a cloud management system were apps could be stored in the cloud but load into memory instead of taking permeant storage space.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
I really think the stand alone AppleTV could really be Apple's next big thing if they would open it up and create an AppStore for it. Not only would be be nice to have other 3rd party video streaming apps (HBO Go, Amazon) but I could see a big market for games - especially simple family type games where other iOS devices or BT devices could be the controllers. I'm thinking trivia type games, family feud, dictionary etc. I could also see market for video conferencing/viewing (like how apple does their WWDC stream other companies/events could have their own app and stream).

The biggest obstacle with the current release is storage. I believe it only has 8gb which is primarily used for buffering. To allow apps it would take away from that. What I'd like to see is more of a cloud management system were apps could be stored in the cloud but load into memory instead of taking permeant storage space.

Roku already did that, they have had a 'channel store' since forever, and two years ago added the game store. The remote doubles as bluetooth game control (think Wii).

jeffzoom91

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2005
Florida
This is a place I could see them flexing their WiFi-Direct muscles. I know where I work, getting the AppleTV on the WiFi network is nearly impossible because the last time I checked it didn't support 802.1X certificate based authentication. I had heard that you could pull this off with a provisioning profile now, but I haven't checked.

The main problem is, even if you can get it on the network, Bonjour as a protocol can't jump subnets. Where I work they use subnets like a 5 year old eats tic-tacs. Joining the WiFi could result in you being put in any random subnet in a large set of subnets in the same domain. So even on the same network they two devices can't "see" each other because the bonjour service doesn't scan outside of the host's subnet. WiFi Direct would solve that. It would also solve the problem of getting an iPad on the corporate network, something we're technically not allowed to do anyways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.