Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
It was $299 but I guess no longer at Walmart.

If one needs to buy on credit and get a no interest payment plan, Best Buy accommodates that.

Target about 2 weeks ago had them for $300 so I went into BB and got a price match. I just wish I would have bought two of them cause the one I bought was for the girlfriend.

The day after, I went back and got the iPad 4. The Retina is beautiful but there's nothing sweeter than the mini's portability. It has me thinking about returning the 4 and settling with the mini.:confused::eek:

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
Wait for Retina

I finally bought one deciding the display was OK. I am back using my iPod Touch for the Retina display. If you must have one Apple refurbs are $279.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
I like William's response...it's exactly the way I feel. There's always something 'newer and better' on the horizon...however, spending time waiting for a piece of gear you'd enjoy in the interim (if the money is available) is a sad, lonely existence:) Buy it, enjoy it....and drop it when the new model hits the shelves. With year old Apple/iOS gear, you're going to loose 20-30%, maybe. Especially the low end model...so if it's 4 months between now and release...that means 5 or 6 before you'll actually get a unit (shipping date/demand, et al), you'll be paying 10---maybe 20 bucks a month for 'ownership'...you'll easily be able to turn the 16GB WiFi model for 200 bucks when the new one drops, and if you can pick it up refurb or on C/L for $250-270, you're going to be looking good!

Wait. Retina + more ram = much better experience.

I own a Mini and, surprisingly, its the lack of ram that really bites.

I, too, own a Mini and an iPad 4 as well as an iPhone 5. The retina difference is noticeable but not at all a deterrent for usability in my world. More RAM? Other than repopulating more than two or three tabs, I haven't noticed any memory crashes....or apps unusable because of the lack of RAM. Keep in mind, there are more iOS devices on the market with 512mb (iPad 2 & Mini/iPhone 4/4s) then any other 'configuration'....there are benefits to the extra RAM in my iPhone 5 and iPad 4, but other than population of 'loose' tabs (not currently in use tabs in any browser)....I've seen absolutely no difference. Is there a chance the GPU is utilizing some of the physical memory for the retina display devices?

I think way too much is made debating the A5/512mb of RAM. The iPad original with 256/3gs DID absolutely suffer from lack of memory...since the iPad 2 though, everything seems significantly better 'fluidity' wise.

Obviously, faster proc, more RAM...and the elusive retina/high resolution display will someday make it's debut....why spend that time without the unit? To me, having the iPad mini, regardless of it's shortcomings...is much better than 'not' having it. As always, YMMV

i'd say buy it couple months ago, but now, you should wait, it might be fast enough, but it's still not fast enough, and especially the screen. wait at least until the next gen.

I don't get it?

It is a great a piece of kit, but the refreshing that bugs be is beyond just tabs. I typically use Safari, Alien Blue, Downcast and Mail interchangeably. If I switch between more than two or three, the initial app is forcibly refreshed. I'm kind of spoilt by my iPhone 5, and even my iPad 3, which does none of these things unless you've dipped into lots more apps.

Like above poster's have said, a few months ago I'd say buy buy buy, but its really not long now to a likely refresh and, maaaan, a Mini with retina & more ram will be utterly brilliant.

Perhaps those are RAM hungry apps? Again...it IS tough to recommend buying now. Though there are plenty of open box deals and refurbs, discounts at big retailers, as well as second hand items available through sites like Craigslist. This will save some duckets and allow for decent resale and the ability to recuperate some of that lost cash IF Apple indeed does release a high rez version this year...which I'm not convinced of, yet. The re-sale of iOS devices remains very strong...and hence the 'argument' of buying when you need. Typically...when it's time to upgrade, unlike so many other pieces of technology...you can easily re-sell your Apple Gear. I saw a 32GB iPad original sell the other day on Craigslist for $220. To me, that is amazing. I actually tried to pick it up because it's the only model that fits 'snug' into our Alesis control package for sound production....and it works just fine doing what we need to do with it. The guy listed for $250...said he had a half dozen emails/calls within a couple hours. Dropped it for $225. That's a loss of 60% over 3 years...try that with any other OEM's laptop, tablet...or even smart phone.

given iOS7 i think the A5 and 512 megs of ram will be pushed to its limits therefore WAIT.

but that's if you accept a decline in battery life which may or may not happen mind due, or even an increase in weight and size...

Apple has been 'smart' about what they do and don't include in the OS updates to older devices. Again...considering the 'populations' of A5/512 devices on the market, Apple won't abandon them. They may lack a couple of 'features', but they'll still be viable devices for at least another two years.

J

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
If you can finance it (especially with Best Buy; they offer 8 months of no interest) buy it and just sell it when the new iPad mini is released. You can use the money you made from selling to pay the account and purchase the new one w the same account.

And the positive side to doing this is, you can play with the mini until the new one is announced/released AND you can continue to build credit if you do finance.

Just my two cents.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
Grow a spine, Grow up, Take responsibility for your own actions, Think for yourself.

Regardless of which reason you choose from the above options.. If you need a tablet, buy one now. If you don't; then wait.

I don't understand all this need for a bunch of cheerleaders before one can make an educated decision for themselves.

DJJAZZYJET

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
Its a very good iPad, but you might as well just wait until the next gen. The iPad mini is approaching its end of cycle.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Grow a spine, Grow up, Take responsibility for your own actions, Think for yourself.

Regardless of which reason you choose from the above options.. If you need a tablet, buy one now. If you don't; then wait.

I don't understand all this need for a bunch of cheerleaders before one can make an educated decision for themselves.

If you got such a problem with it, just go to the next thread. No need to waste your time here; trashing someone's thread isn't the "grown up" thing to do, it's actually spineless.

cheers.

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007

Is this the internet version of "Get off my lawn" :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.