Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Roku already did that, they have had a 'channel store' since forever, and two years ago added the game store. The remote doubles as bluetooth game control (think Wii).

Sorta, but Roku doesn't have the current iOS echo system to leverage.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Because it is talking about accessing your songs/movies/tvshows in iTunes. If you open iTunes on a windows computer it does allow you to airplay your content to the Apple TV. The icon is not for Airplay mirroring that is Mac and iOS device only.

Thanks - I didn't know iTunes on Windows supported Airplay.

izyreal

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
USA
Why no app store for the Apple TV???? It's SO obvious and would be very easy to implement! :(:(:(

wjlafrance

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2009
Madison, WI
Why no app store for the Apple TV???? It's SO obvious and would be very easy to implement! :(:(:(

Very easy? You must be a software developer working inside Apple. You probably shouldn't be posting on MacRumors!

Just kidding. I know you're not a developer at Apple, because they would never call it "easy". Obvious, yes, but not easy. Fixing iMessage isn't even easy. (I've actually had an Apple employee explain the underlying iMessage issue to me in confidence. It's truly not easy to fix.)

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
'Conference Room Mode'? :faceplam:

How about AirPlay Direct?!?!?!?!

No network needed!
Would instantly buy 65-75 Apple TVs if they had the mythical Airplay Direct feature.

Since iOS 7 features Airdrop (and one of the abilities is to share directly between devices), I bet we will see "Airplay Direct" in the near future.

nazaar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
com'on Apple... Visualizer for Apple TV for iTunes!!

Seriously why is this that hard!

Butler Trumpet

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2004
Dekalb IL
This is a place I could see them flexing their WiFi-Direct muscles. I know where I work, getting the AppleTV on the WiFi network is nearly impossible because the last time I checked it didn't support 802.1X certificate based authentication. I had heard that you could pull this off with a provisioning profile now, but I haven't checked.

The main problem is, even if you can get it on the network, Bonjour as a protocol can't jump subnets. Where I work they use subnets like a 5 year old eats tic-tacs. Joining the WiFi could result in you being put in any random subnet in a large set of subnets in the same domain. So even on the same network they two devices can't "see" each other because the bonjour service doesn't scan outside of the host's subnet. WiFi Direct would solve that. It would also solve the problem of getting an iPad on the corporate network, something we're technically not allowed to do anyways.

You can load an 802.1x certificate through Apple Configurator https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/apple-configurator/id434433123?mt=12

But, you are correct about the subnets.... I work IT in education and it just isn't possible right now with these massive networks. We have close to 2000 access points, all using the same SSID, and even with static IP's that are 1 digit away we can't get Bonjour to work.

I would LOVE to see WiFi Direct for AirPlay... or maybe just bluetooth even.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
Give me also Amazon Prime and Airport Extreme AC wireless card and I will sure buy Apple TV tomorrow and also get music for $25 year.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Sorta, but Roku doesn't have the current iOS echo system to leverage.

But has almost every other econsystem on the planet. Amazon cloud streams to Roku, Pandora, NetFlix, Hulu, Amazon video. There is even a channel (Apex) that allows you to stream content from your PC (think airplay).

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Since iOS 7 features Airdrop (and one of the abilities is to share directly between devices), I bet we will see "Airplay Direct" in the near future.

Perhaps. But probably not on the current AppleTV. Apple emphasized that the direct connectivity would only work on devices with the latest wireless hardware.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Then you wouldn't be forced to pay $15 PPV for movies already on Netflix!!!

Exactly. Many hotels physically lock down the AV inputs on their TVs so you can't connect your own ipad, DVD player, etc, and you're forced to use their PPV options. Big profit center for them.

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
'Conference Room Mode'? :faceplam:

How about AirPlay Direct?!?!?!?!

No network needed!
Would instantly buy 65-75 Apple TVs if they had the mythical Airplay Direct feature.
I think that AirDrop is a strong hint that AirPlay "Direct" is not far behind.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
I thought we might have seen new Apple TV hardware at WWDC but that will probably have to wait for the same time the new iPads are released.

I just visualized the intro as the same with the iPad Mini: iPad against black background, it rotates, unexpectedly revealing ... the black background is the iTV, with a momentary glimpse of how crazy thin it is before going on to revealing its full size.

Dez!

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2013
Airplay Direct, Apps and miss a bit of buffer space. That's me getting another apple tv, because it's that experience that I want.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Any word on iTunes Extras support for the Apple TV? This is one instance where the word "finally" would actually be appropriate.

One of the reasons I started buying iTunes movies in the first place. Can't believe they forewent the Extras on redesign of Apple TV. My Guess is it has something to do with Home Sharing spec they created/are using.

I'm sure they can figure it out, but probably have it low on the list.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
But has almost every other econsystem on the planet. Amazon cloud streams to Roku, Pandora, NetFlix, Hulu, Amazon video. There is even a channel (Apex) that allows you to stream content from your PC (think airplay).

I have a Roku. By ecosystem I mean the hundreds of millions of iOS devices that are already out there and the developers that already develop for them.

BTGeekboy

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
There's a lot of people here who haven't heard of the current AppleTV feature to require a 4 digit PIN displayed on the screen to be typed into the computer before activation. Turn that on, and people won't be able to take over your screen unless they can see it.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
I really think the stand alone AppleTV could really be Apple's next big thing if they would open it up and create an AppStore for it. Not only would be be nice to have other 3rd party video streaming apps (HBO Go, Amazon) but I could see a big market for games - especially simple family type games where other iOS devices or BT devices could be the controllers. I'm thinking trivia type games, family feud, dictionary etc. I could also see market for video conferencing/viewing (like how apple does their WWDC stream other companies/events could have their own app and stream).

The biggest obstacle with the current release is storage. I believe it only has 8gb which is primarily used for buffering. To allow apps it would take away from that. What I'd like to see is more of a cloud management system were apps could be stored in the cloud but load into memory instead of taking permeant storage space.

From your lips...

Yes, an app store for the ATV, PLEASE!!! I've been a very happy ATV user since gen 1 (which was pre-announced and I had to wait months for it to arrive!). I'm with you, lots of interesting apps would come our way, plus, and this is a big one, despite my having and loving my PS3, games!

Did you see they announced 3rd party games controller support for iOS devices last week? They start arriving in the autumn (when iOS is released) and the games supporting them will follow. The first step is that the controllers will be connected to your iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone, and there is the AirPlay Mirroring option to get it to your ATV, but they also just recently opened BT support on the ATV (as you know) so it's not a long way to connect these controllers directly to the ATV. As for storage requirements, the thing I was thinking is that although it'd be nice to get an ATV with more storage onboard, it's really not needed. Since these devices are almost exclusively stationary home based devices connected to your home network, you'll probably have a computer in the home or on the network the ATV connects to, which could be the central storage repository for any apps that didn't reside permanently on the ATV. Streaming an app to the ATV wouldn't be that big a deal, so it could mean all these existing ATVs in our hands now would be able to live in a world where the ATV suddenly got an app store.

ATV app store!

Apex2206

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2013
vizualizer

Really hope the itunes visualiser for music!!!
the photo thing is kind of crappy when you have a dinner party

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
The big picture is that Apple is going to tie your living room, home office, mobile device, your automobile ect together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.