Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Facebook has updated its iOS app to version 6.2, adding mobile support for status update icons. The icons, which were originally introduced to the desktop edition of Facebook in April, allow users to add details about their actions to status updates. The icons link to relevant Facebook pages and give details on what a user is feeling, watching, reading, listening to, drinking, eating, or playing.

facebookstatusicons.jpg
Icons join other recently introduced Facebook features including Chat Heads and Stickers, which are emoji-style images that can be sent to friends.

Facebook's newest update also includes quick access to share settings and the ability to start conversations from photos received in messages.
What's new

- Add icons to status updates to show what you're feeling, reading, watching and more (English only)
- Easily change who can see something you've shared
- Start a new conversation with photos you receive in messages
- Bug fixes
Facebook is a universal app that can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Facebook for iOS Adds Status Update Icons, New Sharing Controls

Vol7ron

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2009
Derry, NH
Apparently it works on iOS 7...I dont really see the benefits of adding pics onto a status update, but then again, I dont use FB as most people do...

LixLev

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
Let's hope it fixes the battery issue when still in the multitasking dock!

TommyA6

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2013
Still no "recent post by others"...
It went away in the 6.0 update and has been gone ever since. A useful thing. Without it, using the app is lacking in comparison to the desktop version.

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
Wake me when they make the annoying chat-heads optional. Dang things take up valuable screen estate.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
well that didn't change back the way contacts sync with the contacts app. The recent change sucks
What's the recent change exactly?

----------

It went away in the 6.0 update and has been gone ever since. A useful thing. Without it, using the app is lacking in comparison to the desktop version.
Is this in reference to various filtering/sorting of the newsfeed?

kendo88

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
Coventry
What's the recent change exactly?

----------

Previously it would sync all of your facebook friends to the contacts app, which meant all birthdays would appear in my calendar.

But now, it only syncs certain contacts, only 43 of mine (apparently the facebook friend has to have certain information visible on their profile for them to sync to the contacts app), so I no longer get all the birthdays in my calendar.

Annoying

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I suppose these things are fun or cute to some people, but polluting other people's feed with these sort of nonsense only alienates certain people from checking Facebook more often.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
These "action updates" are just a better way for Facebook to categorize and profile everything you do. No thanks.

AndoAU

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2010

Did you mean the bit where you change "Top Stories" to "Most Recent"? That's still there right up the top. You might have to scroll up at the top of the news feed.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
So more social sites are being integrated in iOS 7? What is next? Myspace? Too many social sites but are this many really needed?

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Wake me when they make the annoying chat-heads optional. Dang things take up valuable screen estate.

Or at least disable if you respond to chats using the separate Messenger app.

It drives me crazy that the apps don't talk to each other, and the chat heads don't know about the Messenger app and they also don't know about the sidebar chat panels in the iOS app (when in Landscape mode).

So when I finish chatting with someone, I have to clean up the chat heads that appeared anyway even though I did all my chatting in the Messenger app, then close the side panels on my iPad..... then go over to my iPhone and clean those up too since the notifications were going there too!

Aaargh, it's a mess.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
And yet they keep updating the app. And cannot solve the simple problem of getting the notification tone back when you get a reply for your comment. App is useless if you can't get notified audibly when someone sends you a reply.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Since installing the update I have noticed my Home button on my iPad is no longer "broken". Before, I thought the button was flaking out -- I had to press it multiple times before the iPad would respond.

Now it works perfectly.

And now I have even less respect for Facebook's iOS app developers. Really? Your previous version was so bad it actually started to mess with the rest of the system operation?

otismotive77

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2013
let's hope they bring out something great on the 20th june, these small updates are just a waste of time, the sad news is after having a great high-end smartphone i prefer using my laptop for facebook

blitzer09x87

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2013
it's a good thing that facebook knows that their mobile app is crap and they try to improve it every once a while. but the truth is they need to work from the ground up, a totally new UI, new features, changing the way how things work, only that's the way they can make the facebook mobile app a success.

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
Most recent vs.
News Feed

Absolutely worthless options. For me. And switching between the two loads different contents while refreshing, then loads the SAME content when the refresh completes.

HATE it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Since installing the update I have noticed my Home button on my iPad is no longer "broken". Before, I thought the button was flaking out -- I had to press it multiple times before the iPad would respond.

Now it works perfectly.

And now I have even less respect for Facebook's iOS app developers. Really? Your previous version was so bad it actually started to mess with the rest of the system operation?
Facebook doesn't do anything related to hardware on your device. You might have experienced a coincidence at best but certainly nothing more.

----------

Most recent vs.
News Feed

Absolutely worthless options. For me. And switching between the two loads different contents while refreshing, then loads the SAME content when the refresh completes.

HATE it.
Seems to work fine for a lot of people. Might be something with your particular install.

----------

Still an evil battery drain. If anything; worse than ever.

:mad::mad::mad:
How exactly does Facebook drain more battery than other similar applications?

----------

Or at least disable if you respond to chats using the separate Messenger app.

It drives me crazy that the apps don't talk to each other, and the chat heads don't know about the Messenger app and they also don't know about the sidebar chat panels in the iOS app (when in Landscape mode).

So when I finish chatting with someone, I have to clean up the chat heads that appeared anyway even though I did all my chatting in the Messenger app, then close the side panels on my iPad..... then go over to my iPhone and clean those up too since the notifications were going there too!

Aaargh, it's a mess.
Chatheads never appear for me in the Facebook app when I'm chatting using the Messenger app. Do you have both open at the same time on different devices perhaps?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.