Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nikaru

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2009
If it has the 4S specification with 4inch display and the design of the iPod touch, ill buy it asap.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Ugh. I guess it's back to the 3GS level of uglyness for iPhone.

1) this is a rumor. 2) the 3GS was actually a gorgeous phone. while i like the new designs, it the rounded designs were much more comfortable to hold.

nikaru

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2009
The iPod touch is 299. If there is a cheaper iPhone it will be 449 which is far less than 649 for a iPhone 5 without contract. But then again, what will happen with iPhone 5 when iPhone 5S comes out? It should be 549.

So cheaper iPhone 449, iPhone 5 - 549, iPhone 5S - 649.

At the moment we know only the iPhone 5 specs, so what will make the cheaper iPhone costs less and the 5S costs more? That is the question.

My guess - the cheaper iPhone will have the 4S spec with the new conector and 4 inch display and the iPhone 5S will have some major improvement over the iPhone 5 to stay competitive.

OR

Just discontinue iPhone 4 and 4S and offer the iPhone 5 for a 449 without contract and the iPhone 5S - 549 without contract which will mean reduce margin but mantain Apple quality.

CONCLUSION

Apple cant offer cheaper iPhone (below 399) because it will kill the iPod touch line and wont leave a space for the iPhone 5 when the new generation comes out at 549. So, I dont see it.

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
I really hope these rumours come true. My iPhone 4 is becoming too slow now (especially once iOS 7 comes out) and I've held off on upgrading to the iPhone 5 due to the higher price (it went from 600 to 680 euro) and lesser durability due to the aluminium bending and chipping. I've already seen this several times with some of my friends.

Cheaper and plastic would be the ideal solution for me, probably a lot more durable (and at least cheaper to replace the housing), and better signal traversal because it would insulate the antennas from my fingers. Plus the price would (hopefully) be much more comfortable. I think 680 euro is just way too much for a phone, So far I've always bought second hand because of this.

In terms of the design, I had an iPhone 1 for 4 years and loved the feel of it, much more so than the iPhone 4 (which was better in every other way). These mockups look very similar to that, except the back is all plastic, not part metal.

samac92

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
I don't expect this iPhone to be anywhere near as cheap as people think. I'm expecting it to take the place of the iPhone 4 in the lineup.

2bikes

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
However many times analysts predict it, a new model, low-cost iPhone isn't going to happen, not ever. Apple will continue to charge a premium for the newer, higher spec, models, they will continue to sell the older, ever-cheaper-to-manufacture models at a lower cost reflecting that cost of manufacture. Anything which costs less than that isn't in the ecosystem.

Look how fast support on iOS is dropped for older models, full priced older models. iOS7 is going to support iPhone 4 and above, with some of the bells and whistles turned off. Apple aren't going to release a phone which can't run their latest OS, if the 4 can barely do it, that's the minimum spec and thus minimum price for a phone they will sell. Since the R&D cost on an iPhone 4 is sunk already, the production line is built and running and the components are getting cheaper, the iPhone 4 represents the cheapest way Apply can pump out a phone with the power of .. the iPhone 4, any new design to the same power would cost more to make as it's a new production line, and wouldn't be able to run iOS8 when that comes out. What would the point of that be?

Show me all the case photos you want, as many articles from analysts you care to quote, the 'low cost' iPhone as a separate product isn't going to happen, ever. Apple aren't going to fragment iOS, their older phones are about as cheap as they can be to have a given amount of performance and they know how to make them. End of story.

Your posts reminded me of `Verizon iPhone is not going to happen` days. Made me laugh.

And you said `Apple aren`t going to fragment iOS`. So keeping 4/4S is not fragmenting?

With a low cost iPhone, Apple can make the lightning a standard. 4 inch screen a standard. And by giving something `new` (new look, old internals), they will get people`s attention.

But you can believe what you want. I`m willing to bet it is coming.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
However many times analysts predict it, a new model, low-cost iPhone isn't going to happen, not ever. Apple will continue to charge a premium for the newer, higher spec, models, they will continue to sell the older, ever-cheaper-to-manufacture models at a lower cost reflecting that cost of manufacture. Anything which costs less than that isn't in the ecosystem.

Look how fast support on iOS is dropped for older models, full priced older models. iOS7 is going to support iPhone 4 and above, with some of the bells and whistles turned off. Apple aren't going to release a phone which can't run their latest OS, if the 4 can barely do it, that's the minimum spec and thus minimum price for a phone they will sell. Since the R&D cost on an iPhone 4 is sunk already, the production line is built and running and the components are getting cheaper, the iPhone 4 represents the cheapest way Apply can pump out a phone with the power of .. the iPhone 4, any new design to the same power would cost more to make as it's a new production line, and wouldn't be able to run iOS8 when that comes out. What would the point of that be?

Show me all the case photos you want, as many articles from analysts you care to quote, the 'low cost' iPhone as a separate product isn't going to happen, ever. Apple aren't going to fragment iOS, their older phones are about as cheap as they can be to have a given amount of performance and they know how to make them. End of story.

Cant wait to quote you when it happens.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
What's with the spooky music. Makes me think the NSA is watching me while I look at the video lol.

----------

I`m willing to bet it is coming.

Makes sense to introduce it this year so they can alternate new designs & upgrades with the main iPhone. New cheaper iPhone this year, new design iPhone 6 next year, new design cheaper iPhone the following year, and so on. Keeps the buzz going.

henrystar

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2009
I don't believe a low cost iphone is going to be launched, isn't that what the old iPhone models are for? And I assume iOS will keep demanding better specs so why bring out a lower cost iPhone? What would differentiate and still allow it to run the latest iOS version smoothly?
And would they call it iCheapo?

beaniemyman

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2013
i don't like the idea of a low-cost iphone, iphone has a class, it's just one phone against every other smartphone, the low-cost iphone will only damage the company's standards.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Love my 3Gs, still going strong but I just hope it holds out until the 5s is released.

Same here, have seen nothing that made me want to upgrade from my 3GS but now with IOS7, its time to retire it.

I like the 3GS form factor, its comfortable to hold and its just the right weight for me. Ive held the 5 and it feels very light and flimsy, so my first call will be to put the 5S it into a heavier case to give it some girth :)

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
i don't like the idea of a low-cost iphone, iphone has a class, it's just one phone against every other smartphone, the low-cost iphone will only damage the company's standards.

Not necessarily. We have a low cost iPod, in the form of the shuffle, and that product is of the same quality as all other Apple products. I think many people use the word "cheap", when they should be saying "less expensive". Even "low cost iPhone" can make the thing sound cheap. What is low cost anyway? I would call it "lower cost iPhone". Not the er emphasis.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Same here, have seen nothing that made me want to upgrade from my 3GS but now with IOS7, its time to retire it.

I like the 3GS form factor, its comfortable to hold and its just the right weight for me. Ive held the 5 and it feels very light and flimsy, so my first call will be to put the 5S it into a heavier case to give it some girth :)

LOL love how Apple spends millions on the design and the first thing most people do is put their new iPhone into a cheap plastic case.

Could be the reason for the 'cheap' iPhone, cut out the middle man. :rolleyes:

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
My guess it will have a 3G kind of look? I wonder what the iPod Touch price will become if this soon is a reality, if it even changes at all.

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
So answer this:

The iOS will be the same, as taking things from that doesn't make it cheaper. So what hardware spec would a cheaper iphone have? Im guessing it'll still have a rear camera as any phone has that, so will it not have a front camera, so no facetime? The back would be a bit cheaper to make being plastic, but i can't see what else they would miss to make it signifcantly cheaper.

Also, i would say when you have an Apple way of keeping at least the last 3 iphones available to purchase, and say that the last one (eg the 8GB iphone 4 at the moment) has paid for is manufacturing tool up, the parts are older, so probably cheaper, then don't we already have a cheaper iphone? The only thing i can think is any new cheap iphone is going to be the internals of the old 4 with a bigger screen?

HKZ/MST3K

macrumors regular
May 6, 2011
It's like you guys keep throwing the same crap at the wall and hope it sticks. Weird that there's no mention of the Apple HDTV in this post. Ridiculous.:rolleyes:

Albright

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2011
So, because a company decides to make a case for something, it will fit the actual product?

Start your 3-D printers folks, let's make some cases for iPhone form factors we would like to see.

This. How often have the speculative case designs that keep popping up on MacRumors been correct? Fewer times than incorrect, I'm betting. As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, remember how absolutely certain case manufacturers were about the teardrop iPhone 5?

At least to me, I don't think these stories are worth the electricity it takes to write the text and photos to disk on MacRumors' servers.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
LOL love how Apple spends millions on the design and the first thing most people do is put their new iPhone into a cheap plastic case.

Could be the reason for the 'cheap' iPhone, cut out the middle man. :rolleyes:

For most people it's just a phone. A tool to be used. It's also an expensive investment and wont get replaced for a few years so best to protect it.

Others put it on a plinth.

To each, their own.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
That's exactly the point lol. They need to come out with a cheaper iPhone so that people who don't "enjoy" the US subsidies (protip: we don't really enjoy this system) can afford to buy an iPhone.

I suspect that the low-cost iPod Touch is kind of a test run. If they can put out something like that, but a little thicker to accommodate the cellular radios and a little bit bigger battery and sell it at $299 or even $349, it would sell a lot.

I agree 100%. If Apple made a outright cost $300 iPhone, I'd buy one tomorrow. If the build quality was up to scratch. I hate the plastic. I use an iPhone 1 and I like that better in terms of build quality then the 3G/3GS

vmistery

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
I hope they make this new phone harder to scratch away the coating on the edges of the phone. Makes my iPhone 5 look really worn when the rest of its in excellent condition and well kept,. I would like a more rounded design for holding comfort as well but in reality I suspect if the internals are only as good as the 5 or worse I wouldn't move too it and wait for the 6 instead.

My Favourite design was still the original iPhone, just a shame I only got to play with one briefly as I avoided it because of the lack of 3G!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.