Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage5.png
Last year, roughly a month before Apple released OS X Mountain Lion, it extended its beta program to certain Apple Retail Store staff members. This year, the company appears to be doing something similar.

9to5Mac reports that retail store staff are again being invited to try the beta of OS X Mavericks.
You are invited to participate in the pre-release OS X Mavericks seed program. Participation, including submitting feedback, is completely voluntary and not an expectation of your job. If you accept, we will provide you with a pre-release version of OS X Mavericks to install and use. You will get to preview all of the exciting new features like iBooks, Maps, Calendar, Safari, iCloud Keychain, Multiple Displays, Notifications, Finder Tabs, Tags, and much more! You should use OS X Mavericks only your personal computer and on your personal time. Apple will provide you with ways to submit feedback on your experiences with OS X Mavericks, should you choose to do so. Apple also asks that you use future builds of OS X Mavericks as they are made available. The responses from prior seed programs have been overwhelmingly positive. Thank you to everyone who participated!
The site also notes that Apple has provided prerelease versions of Mavericks to its AppleSeed beta testing group.

Before WWDC, a leak suggested that Apple was well into the development of OS X 10.9, with a build number of 13A451 appearing on a recent internal release. One possible implication of the high build number was that Apple was closer to a public release of Mavericks after its unveiling than with previous OS X beta releases.

Article Link: Apple Giving Retail Employees Beta Access to OS X Mavericks

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
So 10.9 will be released next month? Ok, it won't, but nice to see progress after all the delay rumors...

leon44

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
In the face of all the developers who whine about how people shouldn't be allowed access to betas. Beta testing needs real world users, if Apple wanted to crack down on non-devs getting hold of betas they would, but it's actually an advantage to have more testers.

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
How close are we to a newer version of beta? I've noted a few glitches, minor stuff really, primarily with third party applications

Mavericks is very smooth for an initial beta.

harrisondavies

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
In the face of all the developers who whine about how people shouldn't be allowed access to betas. Beta testing needs real world users, if Apple wanted to crack down on non-devs getting hold of betas they would, but it's actually an advantage to have more testers.

Well said, and since they expire, where's the harm?

sziehr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
I know we call this a beta but think about what they have and have not changed. This is 10.8 code base with some new tweaks here and there. I would expect it to be smooth. This is not IOS 7 which has a whole host of features. The battery saving stuff is the only new under the hood tech in this build. The remainder are clip ons like maps or minor re-works of code multimonitor support. I would expect this release to come out far sooner than latter. IOS 7 i expect to be a very very long slog through beta hell and even into early GM releases to much code base change and to many new features that are core to the OS.

flash84x

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2011
:rolleyes: I wish they would give it to WWDC Attendees, I had access to it up until yesterday.

Registered (paid) iOS developer but cannot work with some new Xcode features that require 10.9 and 10.9 Server :mad:

djra8

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2013
Worst os name ever.... I am disappointed OSX Sea lion never made it to the shelves :)

sziehr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
:rolleyes: I wish they would give it to WWDC Attendees, I had access to it up until yesterday.

Registered (paid) iOS developer but cannot work with some new Xcode features that require 10.9 and 10.9 Server :mad:

I wish they would just unify the damn dev system. If i write OSX i might want to write IOS ETC why pay twice it makes no sense.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
Glad to know more people are able to test out Mavericks. I hope they have as little bugs as possible in the final release.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
"You should use OS X Mavericks only your personal computer and on your personal time."

Aw man, I was hoping someone would install it on a random Mac in the Apple Store :D

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
So 10.9 will be released next month? Ok, it won't, but nice to see progress after all the delay rumors...

No, Apple consistently said Fall several times for both 10.9 and iOS 7. Don't expect anything until late Sept.

Badly worded invite. Are we sure that's real?

They did this last year as well, so it's not likely to be fake.

I wish they would just unify the damn dev system. If i write OSX i might want to write IOS ETC why pay twice it makes no sense.

You guys should really send in your thoughts and feedback to Apple's feedback system as well as the bug reporter. They should definitely unify it.

jameslmoser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I know we call this a beta but think about what they have and have not changed. This is 10.8 code base with some new tweaks here and there. I would expect it to be smooth. This is not IOS 7 which has a whole host of features. The battery saving stuff is the only new under the hood tech in this build. The remainder are clip ons like maps or minor re-works of code multimonitor support. I would expect this release to come out far sooner than latter. IOS 7 i expect to be a very very long slog through beta hell and even into early GM releases to much code base change and to many new features that are core to the OS.

You are joking right? With all the compressed memory and cpu timer coalesing changes there was a lot of actual OS changes. Unlike Mountain Lion that was just a bunch of added on apps, this is an actual OS update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.