Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PikamoSenior

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2013
long ago, I've jail-broken my 4th g iPod.
it never got recognized by a computer.. i never thought i'd have to sync it or whatever. i updated it to iOS 6.1 and since then, it has the "connect to iTunes" thing whenever i try to turn it on.
i tried connecting it to a PC and it isn't recognized, once i connect the USB a bubble comes up " one of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and windows does not recognize it. for assistance in solving this problem, click this message" and the "connect to iTunes" is on my iPod screen.
i click that message it shows me the my iPod is an "unknown device"

is there any way i can fix this? i don't mind getting formatted. i just want it to work! help!

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Chech the actual connection, where the 30 pins are and make sure their are no metal pieces out of place. I was getting the same thing with an iPad. I noticed a pin was bent out of place. Going to get a replacement after i transfer the photos.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Have you tried recovery?

1) Turn your iPod off.
2) Start iTunes
3) Plug USB cable from iPod into computer while holding down the home button
4) Wait patiently, iTunes will pop up a message, "iTunes has detected an iPod in recovery mode. You must restore this iPod before it can be used with iTunes.
5) Good luck.

PikamoSenior

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2013
I have to ask, why?! Why!?

Take it to the Apple Store and have them set it up properly and never do this again. The sooner the better as it seems they'll be dropping support for the fourth generation soon.

Its jailbroken, they wont fix it for me

----------

Chech the actual connection, where the 30 pins are and make sure their are no metal pieces out of place. I was getting the same thing with an iPad. I noticed a pin was bent out of place. Going to get a replacement after i transfer the photos.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

But it connects to the computer, the connect to itunes screen comes up

----------

Have you tried recovery?

1) Turn your iPod off.
2) Start iTunes
3) Plug USB cable from iPod into computer while holding down the home button
4) Wait patiently, iTunes will pop up a message, "iTunes has detected an iPod in recovery mode. You must restore this iPod before it can be used with iTunes.
5) Good luck.

The ipod doesnt even switch on... Itunes cant detect it cause the computer doesnt. Its already om recovery mode, it doesnt go on..

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2012
long ago, I've jail-broken my 4th g iPod.
it never got recognized by a computer.. i never thought i'd have to sync it or whatever. i updated it to iOS 6.1 and since then, it has the "connect to iTunes" thing whenever i try to turn it on.

So, you tried to update a jailbroken iPod? Oh boy.

1. For any jailbreak-related questions, ask in the Jailbreak section under iOS rather than here. They will know a lot more then the people here.
2. I don't know what it's called, but apparently there is a Mac/Windows program that can restore the iPod without using iTunes. Again, better off asking in the Jailbreak section rather than here. If that doesn't work (and seeing as you've already tried Recovery/DFU mode) I'm not sure what you can do.
3. Once (or if ever) it is fixed, don't EVER jailbreak again. If you are trying to update a jailbroken iPod then you don't know enough about jailbreaking to do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.