Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google Reader is set to shut down on July 1, and while several companies have stepped in to fill the void, Feedly has been one of the most successful replacements with more than 12 million users, up from four million before Google announced the end of Google Reader.
googlereaderretirement-800x500.png
Feedly has transitioned from a simple RSS application to an RSS platform with the launch of a new web interface and a cloud platform that supports multiple third-party applications. Feedly Cloud supports one-click migration from Google Reader, which should make it easy for users to switch over without a hassle, and Feedly also provides a standalone web version that can be accessed from any browser.
As of today, feedly cloud is now live, providing a fast and scalable infrastructure that serves as the backbone to feedly, as well as a number of connected applications. Feedly cloud is open today to all users visiting http://feedly.com, providing a simple oneclick migration path from Google Reader.

Feedly cloud also powers a brand new, standalone Web version of feedly (no plugins or extensions needed), making feedly available from any browser, including Opera and Internet Explorer. This was one of the most requested features, and we are thrilled to deliver on this today.
To begin using Feedly, users can visit the website and migrate their Google Reader feeds to Feedly in just a few seconds. Feedly also has a universal app available in the App Store, which can be downloaded for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Feedly Launches New Cloud Platform to Replace Google Reader Ahead of July Shutdown

Thataboy

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2004
New York, NY
Doesn't appear to work on IE 8. Nor does Newsblur. I hope something comes along that does! I don't really blame these sites for not supporting this ancient browser -- but it's what we have at work, so...

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
I know they've promised a paid tier later this year, but moving from one free service to the next isn't appealing.

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
Loving Feedly! Switching from Google Reader to Feedly has actually renewed my interest in the RSS feeds I'm subscribed to.

Across platforms the Feedly layout is simply beautiful — and man, was the migration process easy (almost to the point, that I'm still wondering if I have really migrated).

(No, I don't work at or is in any way connected to Feedly).

switcher3365

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2008
I can handle Feedly in the browser, but I use FeeddlerRSS on my iPhone and iPad, and I love Feeddler's simple design better than Feedly's apps. I hope that Feeddler will be able to use this "cloud" service or that they will come up with their own syncing solution.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Doesn't appear to work on IE 8. Nor does Newsblur. I hope something comes along that does! I don't really blame these sites for not supporting this ancient browser -- but it's what we have at work, so...

This is the only way to make companies start upgrading. I can't tell you how many hours I lose a month trying make stuff work in old IE browsers....

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
Loving Feedly! Switching from Google Reader to Feedly has actually renewed my interest in the RSS feeds I'm subscribed to.

Across platforms the Feedly layout is simply beautiful — and man, was the migration process easy (almost to the point, that I'm still wondering if I have really migrated).

(No, I don't work at or is in any way connected to Feedly).
I too question whether I've migrated to Feedly or if it's still just pulling from Google Reader. I assume they do now have all my feeds set up or synching into the system, but it'd be nice to visually confirm that this is true... like let me disconnect my Google Reader account and continue using Feedly without those credentials.

superfula

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2002
I too question whether I've migrated to Feedly or if it's still just pulling from Google Reader. I assume they do now have all my feeds set up or synching into the system, but it'd be nice to visually confirm that this is true... like let me disconnect my Google Reader account and continue using Feedly without those credentials.

There's a good write-up or two on their blog about the switch-over, including how to know if you've been moved.

http://blog.feedly.com/

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
Haven't heard anything from reeder which is a worry...
I have a feeling the new iPad & Mac versions of Reeder will be released with Feedly support, like Instacast's Mac and iOS app using their cloud sync. It's the only way I can see the developer making money on it.

I like the appearance of Feedly: the navigation, the integration. What I don't like is that I have to use an extension to run it. Not a fan of extensions. Especially since it bypasses Google's 2-step verification on my work computer.

Meandmunch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Love the illustration!

So cheery, thanks Google for handing us the keys to the car. We promise to take good care of it!

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
They're also shutting down Google checkout and related services for physical products.

No. They moved merchants to Google Wallet a long time ago. The killing off of Google checkout affected hardly any merchants since most had already moved.

----------

People were so mad at Google killing of Google Reader. But in their cruel ways, Google actually helped companies like Feedly push RSS readers even further. Feedly was good before the Google announcement but I don't think they would of spent as much development effort had it not been killed off. In the end, the users won.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
No. They moved merchants to Google Wallet a long time ago. The killing off of Google checkout affected hardly any merchants since most had already moved.
Nope.
Google Checkout website said:
ATTENTION: On November 20, 2013, Google Checkout will no longer be supported. Sellers of digital goods on Google (Google Play, Chrome Web Store, Offers Marketplace and Google Wallet for digital goods) will automatically transition to Google Wallet and will not be impacted.

And in the next link:

Retiring Google Checkout Announcement

On November 20th, 2013, Google will shut down its Checkout product. Here’s how this may affect you:

* Merchants selling digital goods may transition to Google Wallet for digital goods
* Merchants selling through Google-hosted marketplaces (e.g. Google Play) will be unaffected
* Merchants selling physical goods will need to switch to third-party alternatives (see below)

This decision was not made lightly—ultimately, we decided our focus is best concentrated on other areas of the payments space. As we begin to sunset this product, you can expect to see a number of changes through 2013

StevenB14

macrumors regular
May 23, 2012
Scotland
I can handle Feedly in the browser, but I use FeeddlerRSS on my iPhone and iPad, and I love Feeddler's simple design better than Feedly's apps. I hope that Feeddler will be able to use this "cloud" service or that they will come up with their own syncing solution.

There is an update on the below blog from the Feeddler developer. Doesn't sound great though.

I like and use Feeddler but looks like it's going to be the Feedly app for me. Will keep an eye on what happens with Feeddler and hopefully go back to it one day if they get it working with the Feedly cloud.

http://blog.chebinliu.com/

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY

Yeah, same issue here - works on my Mac and personal PC laptop in Safari/Chrome/Firefox, but not on my work PC with IE8.

gmar002

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2013
Noowit

Hi guys,
Have you checked out http://www.noowit.com? A new HTML5 web app still in private beta and about to launch to the general public on July 1st (for obvious reasons). iOS app also to be released soon…Noowit is both a content discovery and a curation/distribution platform (the first of its kind reader/writer in a sense as soon users will also be able to author content right on the spot) Just days ago it released a Goggle Reader integration feature allowing users to effortlessly migrate and transform their feeds literally in one click into beautiful personalized mags, that are filtered by their interests. I’d be happy to get you an invite for immediate access if you’d like to review it. Trust me if you try it firsthand it will blow you away…Just let me know where I should email it.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
cloud.feedly works for me--the unread count was lost (just once) in the transition from Reader, exactly as Feedly warned, and then after that has kept track of my reads/unreads accurately. Great!

However, on my iPad and iPhone, unread counts don't synch. They too got everything changed to unread, indicating that they did switch to Feedly Cloud--but they don't seem to receive any synching from that point on.

Growing pains, I'm sure.

I notice the Safari extension works, but is slower than the new URL. However, what I really want is a Safari extension with an unread count. (And same in the iOS apps.)

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
I haven't read through all the posts but have you seen any sync issues?

I'll read a few articles on my phone and they will still be marked as unread on my computer later.

StevenB14

macrumors regular
May 23, 2012
Scotland
I haven't read through all the posts but have you seen any sync issues?

I'll read a few articles on my phone and they will still be marked as unread on my computer later.

I've not noticed any syncing issues between computer, iPad and phone. Will keep an eye on it. If you are experiencing sync issues I would imagine it would be a bug that would be fixed as soon as possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.