Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

DisplaySearch analyst Richard Shim is going back on statements he made back in May, when he said the next model of the iPad mini -- expected this fall -- would come equipped with a Retina display and an updated processor. In an added twist, before he made that statement, Shim said the Retina iPad mini would not ship before 2014.

ipad_mini_white_side-800x109.jpg
Now, Shim writes that Apple will refresh its iPad mini line later this year, but the Retina display will not make an appearance before 2014.
Apple is expected to refresh its iPad mini in the second half of the year. The new iPad mini will continue to use a 7.9-inch display with a 1024×768 resolution, but it will use the iOS 7 operating system and an A6 processor, in a slimmer design than the current generation. Another iPad mini is also planned for production but not until early 2014. That device is expected to feature a QXGA (2048×1536) resolution display and the iOS 7 operating system.
It's unclear which DisplaySearch report is correct, though it's widely expected that Apple will ship a Retina-display equipped iPad mini at some point.

More notably, Shim does expect the iPad mini update this fall to bring a thinner case, regardless of whether it has a Retina display or not. Apple CEO Tim Cook did warn analysts and other Apple watchers to take rumors from the Apple supply chain with a grain of salt.

Apple is expected to introduce new versions of the iPhone, iPad mini and iPad this fall.

Article Link: Analyst Flip-Flops Again: Thinner iPad Mini in Late 2013, Retina Display in Early 2014

imgonephishin

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
DisplaySearch analyst Richard Shim is going back on statements he made back in May

I am shocked—SHOCKED—to hear that an analyst is backtracking on a completely unbsubstantiated, traffic-baiting, buzzword-heavy report.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I'm frankly not sure how I feel about that. I find the mini already mighty thin. To the point I am considering adding a case to fatten it up.

I wouldn't mind a full size iPad with the mini's thickness.

B

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Based on everything I've witnessed Apple do in the last 5 years, I'd still put my money on a retina iPad Mini in the same chassis with improved internals for the same price arriving this fall with iOS 7.

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005
I would buy a thinner iPad mini in a heartbeat. the current iPad mini already makes my nexus seem like a fatty by comparison.

gooberwilson

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2012
Canada
I don't really see the iPad Mini getting any thinner in the next generation. It's already so thin! Why would they make it thinner and then make it thicker by adding the retina display? Unless they make two different models??? :confused:

Noctilux.95

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2010
LA
Thickness was never an issue with the Mini. Lower resolution display than a 3+ year iPhone 4, is.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
if they not go for retina this year..they will have problems with selling...everyone now who is waiting for next ipad mini is waiting for that retina..

Andy-V

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
I don't see how a retina iPad mini could be thinner than a current-gen mini. So what would be the point in making it slimmer this year and then making it bigger again next year?

I don't think it'll be redesigned until it gets a retina screen.

britboyj

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2009
What do I have to do to be an Apple Analyst? Get nothing right, flip flop and still get paid? Best gig ever.

jfx94

macrumors regular
May 22, 2013
where ever I am at.
Based on everything I've witnessed Apple do in the last 5 years, I'd still put my money on a retina iPad Mini in the same chassis with improved internals for the same price arriving this fall with iOS 7.

I agree. It's funny to see analysts changing positions so often. They really don't have a clue.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Analysts just have a dartboard with phrases and words pinned to it, and a sheet with a sentence on it that says

"Apple will release a _____ with _____ and a _______ with _______ on the _____th of ______ 20__"

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
iPhone 5S, Apple TV 4 with App Store, MacBook Pro with Haswell, iWatch, iPad 5, iPad Mini 2 with retina.

There, can I be an analyst too?

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
You lost me at the word "analyst"...

There. I got that cliche out of the way early in this thread, so nobody else needs to say it. I can't think of anything to add. Maybe I'll say something controversial, such as, "I don't believe the iPad mini will ever get a Retina display, because it's technically impossible." But I'd better add a smiley face, or else some people will take me seriously. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.