Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eiprol

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
Spain
Is Airdrop supposed to work only between iDevices? Make sense to be able to transfer pictures between a mac and an iOS7 device.. However, It's not working for me. Maybe, it has been talked before over here, but I've not found anything related; just Airdrop between two iDevices.

It doesn't work because it's just an early beta, or because it wont work ever? Any information about this?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Is Airdrop supposed to work only between iDevices? Make sense to be able to transfer pictures between a mac and an iOS7 device.. However, It's not working for me. Maybe, it has been talked before over here, but I've not found anything related; just Airdrop between two iDevices.

It doesn't work because it's just an early beta, or because it wont work ever? Any information about this?

I wonder if it is a feature that will work with maverick only.

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
Has anyone had any luck with this? Or any new information?

I assumed when the airdrop feature was announced they meant that users could also transfer files between Mac and iPhone. :mad:

Northernist

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2013
Currently it's only between iOS devices but who knows, it could be added before Mavericks and iOS 7 go public.

lancastor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
AirDrop in iOS is for iOS devices only. You cannot send or receive files from a desktop OS X.

xcodeaddict

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
AirDrop in iOS is for iOS devices only. You cannot send or receive files from a desktop OS X.

I find that notion hard to swallow; I doubt Apple are so short-sighted as to miss such an incredible selling point - it goes completely against the nature of Apple.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Maybe iOS 7 will finally bring a Finder app with it which will make AirDrop between iOS and Mac even more intriguing.

I think this is definitely a little too optimistic, but the UI changes in regards to sharing have been so drastic, I guess anything is possible?

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I think this is definitely a little too optimistic, but the UI changes in regards to sharing have been so drastic, I guess anything is possible?
Hey, we can hope :)

I did notice that in an iMessage conversation where pictures or videos have been sent, there is a new List View that shows all the files that have been send back and forth. It has limited functionality right now, but might prove to be something bigger come Fall.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011

Interestingly, there's AirDrop in my ML's Finder:

airdroponml.jpg

I've tried transferring pics from my iPhone 5 to my Mac but nothing happened.

Zaid

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2003
London
I find that notion hard to swallow; I doubt Apple are so short-sighted as to miss such an incredible selling point - it goes completely against the nature of Apple.

Not sure about that. I love all my Apple gear, but in my experience, this sounds almost exactly like something they would do. Start small and limited and then expand.

Also, I think they want to push iCloud as the way to transfer things between OSx and iOS

Quercus Alba

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2013
Apple seems strangely obsessed with not improving file management and transfer on iOS. :(

How to fix iOS:

1) Give us a Finder.app on iOS
2) Give Finder.app an iCloud dropbox folder on OS X and iOS
3) Un-cripple AirDrop to allow its use between OS X and iOS

How not to fix iOS:

1) Change how the stock icons look and introduce animated wallpapers.

Boom done.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Interestingly, there's AirDrop in my ML's Finder:

I've tried transferring pics from my iPhone 5 to my Mac but nothing happened.

uhm welcome to 2009 :p

it does work between macs but not between mac and idevices which is a bit annoying especially if you simply want to share an image from your iphone to the mac

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Apple seems strangely obsessed with not improving file management and transfer on iOS. :(

Yup. At least a central repo of shared files would be great. Then, teh same (even multi-Gigabyte) files could easily be shared between apps of different capabilities. (This is a VERY acute problem with video players.) Currently, all one can do is symlinking - of course, on a JB'n device only.

Apple's own inter-app file transfer support is pathetic - it physically copies the file and has a cap of 200 MBytes. Definitely useless for quickly transfer a large video file from Player1 to Player2 when the need arises.

----------

uhm welcome to 2009 :p

it does work between macs but not between mac and idevices which is a bit annoying especially if you simply want to share an image from your iphone to the mac

Lolz... pretty pathetic... So much for "innovation"...

fl0manel

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2013
FREE Alternative for AirDrop between Mac and iOS

Hello, I also had a problem with AirDrop between my MacBook Air (running Mac OS X Mavericks) and my iPhone 5 (running iOS 7.0.2). I also understand that AirDrop for iOS isn't available on the iPhone 4s, iPhone 4, iPad 3, and iPad 2. In a search to find a great alternative, I did end up finding an app called DeskConnect, which is FREE and runs great on Mac and iDevices (and not just iOS 7 or Mac OS X Mavericks).

DeskConnect (links below) allows users to transfer Photos, Documents, Websites, and even Clipboards between any Mac or iDevice. And even better, they don't have to be within range of each other, like what AirDrop requires. You can be in California on vacation and taking pictures, and as long as you are logged into DeskConnect on your destination device, you're set! You can send files between multiple devices at the same time as well. Though not all AirDrop features are available with DeskConnect, DeskConnect still comes packed with features that aren't available with AirDrop.

Here is the Mac App Store link:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/deskconnect/id642220194?mt=12

Here is the link to the app on the iTunes Store (for iPod, iPhone, & iPad):
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/deskconnect/id642218244?mt=8

Hope you guys found this a little bit helpful. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.