Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While Apple offered a sneak peek at its dramatically redesigned Mac Pro at its Worldwide Developers Conference, the new machine is not scheduled to launch until "later this year" and the company has yet to reveal detailed specs and pricing information.

But if a new Geekbench result is authentic, it appears that the new machine is already starting to show up in public benchmarking databases. Rather than showing up as a "MacPro6,1" as would be expected for Apple's next-generation Mac Pro, the new machine is dubbed "AAPLJ90,1", perhaps a reference to a J90 code name following Apple's usual format.

mac_pro_2013_geekbench.jpg
Also supporting the authenticity of the entry is the listing of a custom build of OS X Mavericks, 13A2054, running on the machine. The listed motherboard ID is also one which was discovered in OS X Mavericks as corresponding to the new Mac Pro.

The machine in question is running a single 12-core processor from the upcoming Ivy Bridge-E family, specifically the Xeon E5-2697 v2 running at 2.7 GHz. It is also equipped with 64 GB of RAM.

A comparison of this new Mac Pro entry with Apple's current high-end 12-core Mac Pro running a pair of 3.06 GHz Westmere processors reveals improved performance on Geekbench benchmarks by most measures, ranging from slight improvements for certain tasks to substantial improvements for others.

mac_pro_2013_geekbench_comparison.jpg
We chatted with John Poole of Primate Labs, who highlighted the substantial improvements in many single-core measures and in memory performance, suggesting that lower multi-core scores later in the Integer Performance testing run could be indicative of thermal issues.

Poole notes that with a public launch of the new Mac Pro likely still many months away, it is entirely possible that Apple is still ironing out both software and hardware issues on the new Mac Pro and that the company's work could lead to even more substantial performance gains once those issues are addressed.

Update: Poole has now shared some of his thoughts on the Mac Pro result in a blog post.
...Apple's claim of "up to 2x faster" floating point performance may be optimistic. The new "Ivy Bridge" Xeon processor in the new Mac Pro has instructions that can process twice the amount of data as the "Westmere" Xeon processors in the current Mac Pro. The problem is that only certain kinds of software can take advantage of these instructions.

Article Link: Apple's New Mac Pro Begins Showing Up in Benchmarks

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
This will be a beast.

Judging by that score I don't think so. I also don't think this was a 64bit version. I was expecting it to push past 35K. Had they done updated hardware in the current case that would be the case.... We will only know when people get their hands on one.

BoxBrownie

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2013
I would love to get my hands on one of these but like every Pro it will most likely be way out of my price range. Nice product though.

cburton

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
I was expecting overall geekbench scores to be much higher...

Pretty underwhelming. I would like to think the final version of the system and software will perform much better. If not it'll be a refurb 5,1 for me.

sir1963nz

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2012
i'm still not happy about only 1 processor though. hopefully since they are going with one processor that the price won't be outrageous

Thats What I am wishing too.... but this is Apple.
One wonders though if a Dual processor 24 core beast is in development :D

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
Save a world of problems now, Apple, and add one inch diameter.

"Naaaah. We want it thin!"

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Since the performance is only incrementally more and the size is substantially less and it is a single chip machine, I suspect this will be under $2k price point. A Mac-Mini x2 of sorts.

The question becomes, what about dual chip versions?

You do remember they sell 1xCPU Mac Pro for at least 2500$, right?

It's not going to be under $2K at all. You're talking about dual 2xGPUs, 1Gbps+ PCIe SSD, 64GB of RAM, 6x TB ports and etc.

I'd be absolutely stunned if they get it under $2K. That'd actually sell a lot considering rMBPs and iMacs are just as expensive.

This is at least $2.5K with the least RAM and SSD assuming they'd do multiple SKUs. I'd suspect it'll be $5k for the standard SKU and max'ed out $10K SKU.

There won't be any dual CPUs SKU because of the chipset and CPUs they're using, it is only designed for one CPU socket.

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
Wonder what speed the CPU will go up to? I also think as they have opted to use one CPU the cost of the machine will be lower than expected. Will be interested to see the configurations they offer for this machine.

Based on he leaked intel part numbers/specs, the 2.7ghz chip shown in those benchmarks will be the highest clock rate (for a 12 core).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.