Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 1, 2013
When you select a star rating on a thread, it doesn't let you change it, it says

"According to our records you have already voted on this thread. Changing votes is not allowed."

I think vote changing should be enabled, the quality of a thread can change throughout discussion. And a thread that seemed bad at first can turn out to be really intriguing.

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
I agree. Also, the "thumb rules" have gotten too strict.... can't change your vote, can't thumbs down, etc.,.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I can change my vote.

I voted this thread a 5 star, but it didn't change the original 3 star rating. Not sure how many votes have done, but the average didn't change.

This is about the star ratings of a thread as a whole.

You didn't get the window that says you can't change your vote?

I think he was thinking about the up vote which can be changed.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
I voted this thread a 5 star, but it didn't change the original 3 star rating. Not sure how many votes have done, but the average didn't change.

You didn't get the window that says you can't change your vote?

This is about the star ratings of a thread as a whole.

I think he was thinking about the up vote which can be changed.

I meant the up vote thing. Someone said they couldn't change that.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
You can review Arn's comments on this and also take note that discussion on the topic is closed.

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/15232734/

I don't want to get banned for creating a new thread about this, but has anyone come to you or any other MOD about not being able to upvote? Every time I upvote a post, I come back and the number no longer reflects it.

Even if I just refresh the page or leave the page and navigate back to it (not using the back button) the vote doesn't stick.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I don't want to get banned for creating a new thread about this, but has anyone come to you or any other MOD about not being able to upvote? Every time I upvote a post, I come back and the number no longer reflects it.

Even if I just refresh the page or leave the page and navigate back to it (not using the back button) the vote doesn't stick.

I just gave you an 'upvote'. Does it appear for you?

Edit* I also just closed my browser and came back to this thread and it still appears to be there.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I just gave you an 'upvote'. Does it appear for you?

Edit* I also just closed my browser and came back to this thread and it still appears to be there.

It does, let me upvote you, write this post, post it, then see what happens.

Okay, maybe I was a bit hasty. it seems it sticks but it doesn't change the highlight like it used to. I can upvote you again and get the different highlight and the number changes to +2, but of course goes away when I refresh.

Maybe it's a Chrome thing.

No, no one has that I'm aware of. I think this is an issue for Arn to look at. We'll let him know for you.

Thanks, I also submitted to the 'Contact Us.'

EDIT: May only be a browser issue.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
No, that was me. But I still don't get the highlight in Safari or Chrome.

That's not too much of an issue though, just thought that it was.

The highlight was very useful in seeing what I voted on though.

You've submitted a Contact Us, so hopefully the powers at be will look at this and try to fix the 'highlight' issue :)

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
That up vote shows me. Maybe it is a browser thing, I dunno.

Screen%20Shot%202013-07-08%20at%204.31.31%20PM.png

Googlerola

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2013
It does, let me upvote you, write this post, post it, then see what happens.

Okay, maybe I was a bit hasty. it seems it sticks but it doesn't change the highlight like it used to. I can upvote you again and get the different highlight and the number changes to +2, but of course goes away when I refresh.

Maybe it's a Chrome thing.

Thanks, I also submitted to the 'Contact Us.'

EDIT: May only be a browser issue.
That bug is also happening in Safari.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.