Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
I'm at my "five device limit" in iTunes, and I'm getting a new Macbook Air. I sold one of my previously authorized devices, so I want to remove it from the list in iTunes, but I see the only choice I seem to have in iTunes app store is to deauthorize all my devices.

Surely, after all these years, the geniuses at Apple have changed this in iTunes/App Store management to something more convenient, right? Right?

So, where and what is the more convenient way to address this issue in iTunes/App store management? :confused:

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
It's still the same. For the obvious reason that the five computer limit would be meaningless if you could routinely deauthorize computers remotely at will.

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
either you choose deauthorize this computer or you go into your account in the itunes store. Somewhere in there you will find what devices are authorized and you can deauthorize as you wish

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
either you choose deauthorize this computer or you go into your account in the itunes store. Somewhere in there you will find what devices are authorized and you can deauthorize as you wish
In the iTunes store, you can only deauthorize all computers and that's limited how often you can do that. iOS devices may be able to be deauthorized individually.

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
In the iTunes store, you can only deauthorize all computers and that's limited how often you can do that. iOS devices may be able to be deauthorized individually.

Ahh its the ios devices you can choose there. Ok nevermind then. Thought I saw being able to deauthorize computers too. Must of been wrong

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

You can deauthorize each individual computer. But only if you have iTunes running on it. Works fine if you sell your computer, or give it away. It's only when you forget before selling it, or if it breaks down beyond repair.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR

I believe that you can de-authorize individual computers... but you must be logged into the computer that you want to de-authorize.

The issue arrises if you wipe/sell a computer without de-authorizing it first. In that case, only the "de-authorize all" seems to work to free up that computer's authorization.

/Jim

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
You can deauthorize each individual computer. But only if you have iTunes running on it. Works fine if you sell your computer, or give it away. It's only when you forget before selling it, or if it breaks down beyond repair.
See below.

I believe that you can de-authorize individual computers... but you must be logged into the computer that you want to de-authorize.

The issue arrises if you wipe/sell a computer without de-authorizing it first. In that case, only the "de-authorize all" seems to work to free up that computer's authorization.

/Jim
I said in the iTunes store... which is different from just within iTunes. Earlier in this thread I had pointed out how to deauthorize an individual computer from iTunes.

Thinkman12345

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2013
See below.

I said in the iTunes store... which is different from just within iTunes. Earlier in this thread I had pointed out how to deauthorize an individual computer from iTunes.

The Bear got it right! That's exactly what Apple will tell you if you contact them. Kudos, Bear!

EricaV

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2008
These ideas are helpful but I still need more help. I can see how to de-authorize a computer that I am logged into through Itunes. But I have a feeling that my 5 limit is due to some PCs that I no longer own or use. I don't see instructions here about how to de-authorize these without being logged in. I see some talk about having to de-authorize all of the computers. That would be fine if I can simply re-authorize the ones I use without creating problems or changing itunes on these machines.

Can you please say more about

1. If you want to de-authorize a computer remotely do you have to de-authorize them all ?
2. How do you de-authorize a computer remotely.

BTW- Apple is not counting other devices in the 5 are they ? (i.e. ipad, iphone etc.)

Thanks !!

EricaV

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2008
For once I answered my own question. I just de-authorized all 5 computers from the Account page in Itunes. Then re-authorized the two I still use.

This link was helpful from another thread: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204385
[doublepost=1470506743][/doublepost]
What about logging into https://appleid.apple.com and remove the devices in question?
Thanks ! I tried this out of curiosity but it only seems useful for logging out of the devices that you have signed into for icloud- or seeing what you are logged into.

I posted the other solution I found above. It was easy to do and de-authorizing then reauthorizing Itunes on the macs I still use did not seem to log me out of the cloud on those computers either.

Thanks again !
e

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.