Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
California
Ok so I know this really doesn't have to do with the mac pro so much, but I knew that if anyone would know it would be the pro users. I have tons of raw footage I just transferred onto my harddrive for editing in videopad. Now the issue is that I can play the footage in vlc (i'm on a windows workstation) but when I put it into videopad it says its converting it and then it doesn't work. So I downloaded handbrake and the .dv filetype would not translate to .avi and it refused to convert it or even recognize the raw footage

help me please,

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
...I have tons of raw footage I just transferred onto my harddrive for editing in videopad. Now the issue is that I can play the footage in vlc (i'm on a windows workstation) but when I put it into videopad it says its converting it and then it doesn't work. So I downloaded handbrake and the .dv filetype would not translate to .avi and it refused to convert it or even recognize the raw footage
HandBrake has nearly zero options for the import of raw video/MPEG-2/AND_SO_ON. You should use AviSynth (scripts) under Windows. AviSynth supports high quality import, denoise and deinterlace plugins. And .dv files can contain different data:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DV#Variants

Btw, if you are on a Windows workstation, you can use the lossless HuffYUV compressor. This reduces the file size to ≈ 50 percent and allows lossless editing.

elvisizer

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2003
San Jose
what was the material recorded on?
If they're just plain DV files, imovie should import them- have you tried that instead of videopad?

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
California
windows machine man, not imovie

problem solved, I called up videopad asked for a refund they said yes. downloaded jashaka which is basicly the opensorce do it all premiere style editor. and it takes raw footage straight up and edits them like a champ. only issue is that it takes up all 16 gigs of ram I have and 100% of my processor and if I am doing 1080p it seems to take up all the gt 640 can offer as well.

so at the end of the day I got a great video editor for free,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.