Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imacken

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
Might take a week to download and stop anyone else in the house from using the internet connection during that time!
Better be worth it!

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Might take a week to download and stop anyone else in the house from using the internet connection during that time!
Better be worth it!

I should note that the Mac App Store does not allow for language specific data packs meaning if you want to support 5 languages then you have to include all the language data inside the main game. That can be 2 or 3 GB per language in some cases.

That could be the reason for some of the huge size.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Better be worth it!

That's why I would suggest getting the game on Steam instead, as the downloads tend to be faster and more reliable than the MAS.

I should note that the Mac App Store does not allow for language specific data packs meaning if you want to support 5 languages then you have to include all the language data inside the main game. That can be 2 or 3 GB per language in some cases.

That could be the reason for some of the huge size.

The Windows version is about the same size, so that's likely not a cause.

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
I think 32GB is about the same size as the PC version, which surprisingly has 35GB under the system requirements.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
I hate downloading anything greater than about 100MB on the app store, tried Quake 4, got an error at 4GB out of about 7GB, had to start from scratch, another at 6.96GB or so... and so on. And the app store is SO SLOW. Flakes out all the time, even on a brand new iPhone 5 when it's sitting literally on top of the wireless router. But I digress a little..

jvpython

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2011
New Zealand
Downloading Max Payne 3 right now. My App Store downloads go really fast here in Wellington, NZ. Up to 11Mb/s down. The download is nearly over after only 2 hours.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
I hate downloading anything greater than about 100MB on the app store, tried Quake 4, got an error at 4GB out of about 7GB, had to start from scratch, another at 6.96GB or so... and so on. And the app store is SO SLOW. Flakes out all the time, even on a brand new iPhone 5 when it's sitting literally on top of the wireless router. But I digress a little..

Apple services are pretty bad. iCloud, Mail, and their app stores. Eddy needs to be hung upside down on a inversion that will bring the sense back into him. Maybe a bit of humility ingrained too. He sure was smug at the keynote.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
You know there is this awesome new technology where you don't need to wait hours or sometimes even days for a software installation. I believe it's called something like "dvd" or "bluray". ;)

I hear BluRay disks work amazingly in all Mac models they really save you time installing. DVDs I hear are also sometimes used especially with the newer iMac and MacBookPro models...

Oh wait ... you say Apple never supported Bluray...

and no longer include DVD drives with most Macs?...

No way...

Edwin

(Yes I know sarcasm is the lowest form of wit but you work with what you got.) :)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It was massive on Steam for PC when I downloaded it last too, sadly I certainly don't think it 32gb worth of quality. In fact I thought whilst the game was a good looking, it was ultimately a very shallow and hollow experience with about as much depth as a paddling pool. Vastly over rated and totally unmemorable.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Just a heads up, it's on Steam now as well. You get the PC version too, which might be handy if the cider port sucks. Also, the steam sale is starting in a few weeks and it'll likely be 75% off.

monokitty

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2011
I'd be interested to see how it plays on a Mac mini (AMD 6630M) or on the new MacBook Air with HD5000 integrated graphics.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Just a heads up, it's on Steam now as well. You get the PC version too, which might be handy if the cider port sucks. Also, the steam sale is starting in a few weeks and it'll likely be 75% off.

The Mac version is a cider port ?

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012

Cider port??? NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Oh, man. I bet this is gonna work just wicked good. Speaking of which, any feedback from somebody who's gotten beyond downloading, etc. and actually played this yet? That's what I'd really like to hear about now.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
I'm surprised people are saying the App Store is bad. I've never had any problem at all buying most of Feral's and Aspyr's games there, some of which were pretty big. I never had a problem downloading but I do agree the downloads are too slow and that should be improved.

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
Cider port??? NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Oh, man. I bet this is gonna work just wicked good. Speaking of which, any feedback from somebody who's gotten beyond downloading, etc. and actually played this yet? That's what I'd really like to hear about now.

My experience with the game under OS X are not good.

In terms of framerate, in bootcamp I get steady 35+ on high-highest settings, while the Mac version suffers greatly. It seems to get better with time, but I am still getting maybe half of fps than in Windows. The single player is playable, but I cannot imagine multiplayer being fun under these conditions.

Another thing is, Max Payne 3 loads up resources behind the scene, during cutscenes. Portions of those that are "in-game" are just skipped completely as the OS X struggles to do load files and render visuals simultaneously.

Also, when I tried to change Shadows from Medium (very ugly blocky dark layers) to High, I got an error message telling me that my files are corrupted and I need to reinstall the game.

Then I got another error message when trying to change Shader quality.:D

I think I just let it sit on my hard-drive for a while and continue with the addiction to the Windows version, until maybe an update comes along.

See ya in game!:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.