Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
I have a car with a CD player and a FM/AM radio in it. I want a cheap way to listen to my iPhone 5s through the car stereo while I'm waiting for the right deck to come out. Does anybody know of a FM transmitter that works with the iPhone 5s or a FM modulator? If so could you please post the link? Thanks

Last edited:

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Is cheap all that matters? There are plenty of FM modulators out there to choose from. Any with a 3.5mm plug will work with the 5. However, sound quality isn't typically their strong point.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?index=0&sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=111034131670

I just picked this up off of EBay. If it is what it says (fingers crossed), then it's a high quality fm transmitter for a really good deal.

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
Is cheap all that matters? There are plenty of FM modulators out there to choose from. Any with a 3.5mm plug will work with the 5. However, sound quality isn't typically their strong point.

If you read my post you might notice I said cheap because I don't want to spend a lot of money on something I won't use in a little while when I get a new deck installed. Also I am in Canada and I have been searching for an FM modulator for a long time and just can't seem to find one that doesn't already come installed (I want to install it myself)

----------

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?index=0&sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=111034131670

I just picked this up off of EBay. If it is what it says (fingers crossed), then it's a high quality fm transmitter for a really good deal.

This is perfect, thanks!

----------

Or this one;
Kinivo BTC450 Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit for Cars with Aux Input Jack (3.5 mm) - supports aptX
http://amzn.com/B009NLTW60

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

That's cool however if my car had a 3.5mm jack I wouldn't have made this thread.

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Follow the instructions here and you'll get this... :cool:

51a9804974c5b664e50012a1._s.fit_w.540_.jpg

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Canada

malochico1

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2012
I ordered one of these today, I can post a review when I get it.

Hello, please post a review when you get this. I also have a 2007 Lexus GS350 and that stupid thing didnt even come with aux port and bluetooth is only good for talking.

def interested in this if i can use my iphone 5 to play songs or pandora.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Hello, please post a review when you get this. I also have a 2007 Lexus GS350 and that stupid thing didnt even come with aux port and bluetooth is only good for talking.

def interested in this if i can use my iphone 5 to play songs or pandora.

Been using it almost a month now with my iPhone 5, great piece of hardware. I was surprised how good the FM transmitter worked, wasn't perfect, like with an AUX input, but better than other FM transmitters I used in the past.

When I use it for hands free calling, the person on the other end can hear me okay, but they say I sound distant, so I just have to talk a little louder than normal. Might be due to the location of the mics (I drive a smart car and the 12V port is kind of low and hidden) but not much I can do there.

I highly recommend it if someone needs a BT solution for their car that doesn't have it.

malochico1

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2012
Been using it almost a month now with my iPhone 5, great piece of hardware. I was surprised how good the FM transmitter worked, wasn't perfect, like with an AUX input, but better than other FM transmitters I used in the past.

When I use it for hands free calling, the person on the other end can hear me okay, but they say I sound distant, so I just have to talk a little louder than normal. Might be due to the location of the mics (I drive a smart car and the 12V port is kind of low and hidden) but not much I can do there.

I highly recommend it if someone needs a BT solution for their car that doesn't have it.

thanks for the input, i only need it to stream music since i already have bluetooth in my car. just ordered one .

Illuminated

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2008
Denver
I can attest that the Flexsmart is really great. I use it every single time I drive. While my iPhone is charging, there is a slight buzz/hum whenever I accelerate, but not a huge deal. I got used to it.

I love it!

Kisey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010

How did it work out for you? Can you switch the transmitter to international mode and select 87.9?

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
Update: I found one in a dollar store, and with a combination of an old 30 pin dock, some wires and adaptors I was able to build one for under $20 :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.