Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Yes, but somehow they have ignored the simple fact that game-changing products don't always come every 2-3 years. How did they not notice it?

Given the way Apple stock has performed lately, I'd say it's a fair comment. It wasn't even a bad call, I would say redoing iOS7 the way they did is as close to a game changer as you can get with software updates.

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
Given the way Apple stock has performed lately, I'd say it's a fair comment. It wasn't even a bad call, I would say redoing iOS7 the way they did is as close to a game changer as you can get with software updates.

The stock market has their own opinions, but what were these guys even smoking?

----------

If Apple stops tooting their horn loudly and often they'll get a pass.

But have these guys utterly failed at common sense?

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
The stock market has their own opinions, but what were these guys even smoking?

----------

But have these guys utterly failed at common sense?

In your opinion..

In my opinion the iPad wasn't a game changer it introduced nothing new it's a big less functional iPhone but it is a commercial success. So by my counting we have 2006 to 2013 that'd be 7 years.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
And why is Tim Cook to blame? They should blame Steve Jobs.

The entire management structure is to blame. Why is it the presidents fault when things don’t happen? The answer is because he’s in charge.

I don’t dislike Mr. Cook I feel Apple is not going in a positive direction, I think many people feel that right now. IMHO the game changer is an excuse for because we can’t put our finger on whats wrong. I could sit here all day long and spell out problems I perceive to be wrong with Apple right now but they can be all argued back.

I think Apple right now s trying to shed it’s traditional customers in favor of what they see as the future. The problem is their traditional customers are the ones in charge of sites like The Verge they’re no longer interns and go-for’s.

It’s going to be an interesting transition time people like myself will eventually be squeezed out and that isn’t inherently bad but people are going to complain loudly and a great length.

danahn17

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
I understood their highly critical articles. But they recently wrote that Apple need to make a game changer, and it's been too long since there was a previous one.

This takes the cake. That was complete unprofessionalism. Either the Verge reporters had completely lost their minds, or had a bias, or were maybe even paid to write such articles.

That is unprofessional? They're not the first publication or person to claim that Apple needs to make a game changer. Why else would Apple say "Can't innovate my ass?"

Using racial slurs in your publication is unprofessional. Saying Apple needs a game changer is not. :rolleyes:

They also wrote an article on a small grammar error. Yeah, if Apple makes a grammar error, it's front page worthy. But if Google did it, nobody bats an eyelid. That also made me think about it.

This spelling mistake made it to the front page of Yahoo (which probably has a higher reading rate than the Verge).

Like someone mentioned above, a lot of internet sites have provocative headlines and stances just for the click throughs.

Bottom line: if you don't like what The Verge writes, don't read it and don't go there. Nobody is forcing you to read it. And nobody there is forcing you to buy a non-Apple product. No need to make mountains out of anthills.

I think Apple right now s trying to shed it’s traditional customers in favor of what they see as the future. The problem is their traditional customers are the ones in charge of sites like The Verge they’re no longer interns and go-for’s.

I think Tim Cook is doing a good job :eek: I think anybody following Steve Jobs' footsteps is going to have a difficult time and he's been doing alright.

If you think about it though, couldn't you make the argument that Apple was shedding its traditional computer customers with the iPhone or iPod?

Last edited:

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
That is unprofessional? They're not the first publication or person to claim that Apple needs to make a game changer. Why else would Apple say "Can't innovate my ass?"

Using racial slurs in your publication is unprofessional. Saying Apple needs a game changer is not. :rolleyes:

This spelling mistake made it to the front page of Yahoo (which probably has a higher reading rate than the Verge).

Like someone mentioned above, a lot of internet sites have provocative headlines and stances just for the click throughs.

Bottom line: if you don't like what The Verge writes, don't read it and don't go there. Nobody is forcing you to read it. And nobody there is forcing you to buy a non-Apple product. No need to make mountains out of anthills.

I think Tim Cook is doing a good job :eek: I think anybody following Steve Jobs' footsteps is going to have a difficult time and he's been doing alright.

If you think about it though, couldn't you make the argument that Apple was shedding its traditional computer customers with the iPhone or iPod?

No, initially they only worked with Mac’s..

Like I said it’s more of a feeling than anything else

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
A week is more than enough time for a first opinion. It wasn't their final review and they will update as the betas roll out and improve.

Also, how are they sucking Googles tit when Apple stuff is rated higher? Maybe Google is just more cooperative and willing to give them content?

He didn't write his piece based on a weeks review. As far as I know his piece came out the same day as WWDC, not long after the keynote. I don't get the sense a lot of thought was put into the piece. The point of it was clicks - and it worked as there were. 1,500+ comments on the article.

As far as ratings....how many Google products do they review? As far as I know they don't review mobile operating systems on their own. The one Google product they did review - the chrome book pixel was knocked because it got a higher score than the Surface Pro, even though its basically a really expensive web browser.

----------

I've not been reading the Verge for long, maybe a couple of months at most. Still they seem reasonable. They call out Apple when necessary but give praise where it's due.

They practically rave about this years MacBook Air:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/17/4436332/macbook-air-review-13-inch-2013

Again, no one is questioning that they rate apple products very high. It's all their other reporting lately that's questionable. I mean putting up an article calling Apple out for using "no's" instead of "noes"? I'm sorry but that's not worthy of any space on their site.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Am I understanding that any site that is not OMG worship apple (or like someone else) is anti apple bias?

I find that kind of sad and fanboyish honestly and then using what is clearly an Apple fan site as an argument does not help the case.

No. A site that consistently puts up a negative spin on anything Apple does has an anti-Apple bias. So you are putting up a strawman (you claim there are people complaining that Verge isn't "worshipping Apple"), then complain about people making that fake complaint (and these people don't actually exist, because your fake complaint doesn't exist).

----------

I don’t dislike Mr. Cook I feel Apple is not going in a positive direction, I think many people feel that right now.

Wow. Just wow.

After WWDC, I have actually very rarely had a better feeling about Apple than this year. Maybe it has to do with age. All these people screaming for a new and exciting operating system - I don't want the OS to be exciting, I want it to be invisible. Right now, Apple developers are not working on gimmicks, they are working on continuous improvement. And that's what creates good products, continuous improvement. To me, Apple is going in absolutely the right direction.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
No. A site that consistently puts up a negative spin on anything Apple does has an anti-Apple bias. So you are putting up a strawman (you claim there are people complaining that Verge isn't "worshipping Apple"), then complain about people making that fake complaint (and these people don't actually exist, because your fake complaint doesn't exist).

----------

Wow. Just wow.

After WWDC, I have actually very rarely had a better feeling about Apple than this year. Maybe it has to do with age. All these people screaming for a new and exciting operating system - I don't want the OS to be exciting, I want it to be invisible. Right now, Apple developers are not working on gimmicks, they are working on continuous improvement. And that's what creates good products, continuous improvement. To me, Apple is going in absolutely the right direction.

I don't know who was screaming for a new operating system but OK..

I've witnessed nothing but the de-evolution of Apple products over the last couple years.

As long as you're happy do am I.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
He didn't write his piece based on a weeks review. As far as I know his piece came out the same day as WWDC, not long after the keynote. I don't get the sense a lot of thought was put into the piece. The point of it was clicks - and it worked as there were. 1,500+ comments on the article.

As far as ratings....how many Google products do they review? As far as I know they don't review mobile operating systems on their own. The one Google product they did review - the chrome book pixel was knocked because it got a higher score than the Surface Pro, even though its basically a really expensive web browser.

OK, so you didn't like the piece. Fair enough. Don't read it. They can publish anything they want, its their site. They're still going to do a proper iOS 7 review when it drops anyway so why does it matter?

I don't know he many Google products they review. With Android being what it is they review a fair few, as well as running tons of Google stories. Honestly though, your post comes of as "they didn't give something the score I wanted it to get, so I'm going to whine". If you dont like their content, vote with your web hits and leave. Otherwise they'll just keep making money off you and doing what you hate.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Yet you complaining on a completely unrelated message board is.

So I guess then you could say that about anybody's comments here.

----------

OK, so you didn't like the piece. Fair enough. Don't read it. They can publish anything they want, its their site. They're still going to do a proper iOS 7 review when it drops anyway so why does it matter?

I don't know he many Google products they review. With Android being what it is they review a fair few, as well as running tons of Google stories. Honestly though, your post comes of as "they didn't give something the score I wanted it to get, so I'm going to whine". If you dont like their content, vote with your web hits and leave. Otherwise they'll just keep making money off you and doing what you hate.

OK I'll say it again, it's nothing to do with whether Josh liked iOS 7 or not, its that he hastily put up a piece without spending much time (if any at all) with it. That's my problem. It didn't come across as a thoughtful piece but as something to generate clicks. If that's how they want to run their site now then good for them. I just won't be visiting it. Haven't been there in over a week and am not missing it.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
OK I'll say it again, it's nothing to do with whether Josh liked iOS 7 or not, its that he hastily put up a piece without spending much time (if any at all) with it. That's my problem. It didn't come across as a thoughtful piece but as something to generate clicks. If that's how they want to run their site now then good for them. I just won't be visiting it. Haven't been there in over a week and am not missing it.

Fair enough. As tech journalists, they try to always break the story first and develop it later. I agree that they do post some thoughtless stories, but again, they can do what they like. I feel that as a reader I know when something hasn't had much effort put into it and move onto a different source (something you seem to do as well) but I still find the Verge to have some worthwhile commentary and opinions. Not all, but some.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Fair enough. As tech journalists, they try to always break the story first and develop it later. I agree that they do post some thoughtless stories, but again, they can do what they like. I feel that as a reader I know when something hasn't had much effort put into it and move onto a different source (something you seem to do as well) but I still find the Verge to have some worthwhile commentary and opinions. Not all, but some.

I think it's a shame because it could be a great site. There aren't a lot of them out there. Maybe I'll go back when they come off their google high. :)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Maybe you ought to stop reading The Verge. Just a thought.

I didn't go directly to their website, I stumbled across it looking for other stuff. I haven't gone directly to their website for almost 2 weeks now.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I think it's a shame because it could be a great site. There aren't a lot of them out there. Maybe I'll go back when they come off their google high. :)

Out of curiosity, have you every thought that they may be on this 'Google high' for a reason? Like they prefer Google's software over Apple's? Just because they prefer something Google based over Apple's equivalent at the moment, doesn't make it any less of a great site.

Or are all sites that have a bad thing to say about Apple's tech condemned to your 'biased' list? I say this because I think the iOS 7 article you complain about raised some valid points. (Not that I care, I'm a Windows Phone user at the moment and I have never used Android in my life. I'm just failing to see this apparent bias.)

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
The Verge has their collective head so far up Google's arse it isn't even funny.
Very true. It's time to look elsewhere for your tech news I think. As this source (The Verge) is no longer within the realms of acceptable bias.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
Knowing how little Apple has added to iOS7 and how both Android and Windows Phone 8 / RT have become much more featureful, I think, criticism is well founded.

and exactly how little has Apple added to iOS 7?

Are you using it?

Are you developing for it?

If no then you know nothing about how much or little has been added. You've seen the public bit. Under the skin there are many additions.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Engadget is probably my favorite tech site.
I agree. That and AnandTech.

----------

I have to agree the Verge is even more censorship like with their forums and comments then any other tech website I have been to. This one (MR) (though a few issues on this front) is nothing as like as bad as the verge.

You agree 100% with the verge's opinions or you have your comments/forum posts deleted. It's a shame when big influential companies or organisations lose their objectivity and just become paid shills for whoever hands out the most money or information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.