Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Haswell, HD5000, Wireless ac added

No change in size or cosmetically. No TB2. Dropping Firewire and/or Ethernet in favour of a second thunderbolt.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Of course a Haswell update would give the mini better graphics. The CPU performance upgrade is probably minimal and would barely be noticed. The biggest improvement seems to be energy efficiency and battery life which don't matter nearly as much for the mini.

Apple is probably in no rush to update the mini. They will get around to it but it's probably low priority.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
I can't imagine ethernet being dropped.

I can because:

1) if you connect to a thunderbolt display you get it that way.
2) If you replace it with an additional thunderbolt port you still have the ability to have wired internet and have additional flexibility.
3) 802.11ac (for those who have it) eliminates the speed advantage
4) most people connect wirelessly anyway
5) Apple has always shown itself willing to push people away from tech it considers dying, especially when it can give them extra sales.

To wit:

1) As the Mini, Pro and rMBP were revamped/introduced, they dropped the optical drive.
2) They dropped firewire from the Pro and left it of the rMBP
3) they left Ethernet off the rMBP.

I'm not saying it's definite, of course, but it could easily happen

hudson1

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
I can because:

1) if you connect to a thunderbolt display you get it that way.
2) If you replace it with an additional thunderbolt port you still have the ability to have wired internet and have additional flexibility.
5) Apple has always shown itself willing to push people away from tech it considers dying, especially when it can give them extra sales.

To wit:

1) As the Mini, Pro and rMBP were revamped/introduced, they dropped the optical drive.
2) They dropped firewire from the Pro and left it of the rMBP
3) they left Ethernet off the rMBP.

I'm not saying it's definite, of course, but it could easily happen
Sure, they could drop ethernet but there are countless minis being used in small offices around the world. Those peeps aren't looking to buy some adapter thingy.

Outside of probably the Mac Pro, my hunch is ethernet is used by a higher percentage of mini users than any other Mac model, including the iMac. What would be the reason for dropping it from the mini if they didn't drop it from the new Mac Pro?

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
Dropping Ethernet is a bad idea. Sometimes it is just necessary to be able to "plug in".

Drop the firewire for sure. That is about as dead as the cdrom.

Haswell would be so good for the mini! So would PCIe SSD.

I was ever so grateful that they included a HDMI to DVI adapter. I thought I had one but it was something else.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
What is the deal with apple, why does it take so long, in my mind the Mini is the same a the MBP 13.

They update around roughly every year. Last update was October. Next update will probably be September or October, again. New processors likely to be used in the mini will be available in Q3--July to September--so they can't even begin to pretend to have a release available until late summer.

This year will probably see a lopsided release of most all Apple products in the early fall, late summer at best. iPods, iPads, iPhones, the MacPro, iMacs, and the Mini will all tumble out in a short span of time.

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2010
Here's what I can tell you.
The base model will have Intel Core i5 4250U with Iris 5100 and the better model will have Intel Core i7 4750HQ with Iris Pro 5200.

you are boring me....tell me something more...juicy! like 40% smaller , PCIe SSD...etc;)

Titanium81

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2011
If Apple hasn't improved the airflow & overall cooling of these upcoming mini's, I wouldn't buy one on a dare. Just my 2 cents worth.

Really????

I have this Mac Mini and it is very cool to the touch. It is a server that I run 24 hours a day.

picture.php

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012

3) In THEORY. Like here, where there are 50 active networks, even on 5Ghz with ac I only get 10mbit
4) Here in germany there is a lot of Wifi-free zones. Same force as behind the de-nuclearisation of powersupply I guess.
5) They included 2 gbit ports on the Pro. So if their most advanced desktop goes wired, why would they strip it on the Mini?

Ice Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Here's what I can tell you.
The base model will have Intel Core i5 4250U with Iris 5100 and the better model will have Intel Core i7 4750HQ with Iris Pro 5200.

I'm sold on either one of those though more on the Iris Pro 5200.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
3) In THEORY. Like here, where there are 50 active networks, even on 5Ghz with ac I only get 10mbit
4) Here in germany there is a lot of Wifi-free zones. Same force as behind the de-nuclearisation of powersupply I guess.
5) They included 2 gbit ports on the Pro. So if their most advanced desktop goes wired, why would they strip it on the Mini?

3. Then use an adaptor for ethernet.

4. Then use an adaptor for ethernet.

5. Limited space on the back of the mini and two TB are more useful than one and an ethernet since the TB can serve as an Ethernet port with an adaptor.

Now I don't work for Apple, and I don't have any inside information... but everything you said was said about them removing it (and the optical drive) from the new laptop designs and they went right ahead and did it.

So I repeat - if Apple decides it's more practical to have two TB none of the things you've said will deter them for a nanosecond.

hudson1

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012

5. Limited space on the back of the mini and two TB are more useful than one and an ethernet since the TB can serve as an Ethernet port with an adaptor.

Now I don't work for Apple, and I don't have any inside information... but everything you said was said about them removing it (and the optical drive) from the new laptop designs and they went right ahead and did it.

So I repeat - if Apple decides it's more practical to have two TB none of the things you've said will deter them for a nanosecond.
Laptops are supposed to be wireless machines... that's why people buy them.
Apple removed optical drives because that type of media is going away.

Ethernet is not going away but you're making it cost an additional $30.

thestickman

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
Really????

I have this Mac Mini and it is very cool to the touch. It is a server that I run 24 hours a day.

Happy for ya. Hope that mini of yours gives you years of good service.

I used my mini as my studio computer. Mix downs use 620% of the cpu's ability according to activity monitor during a mixdown. When just working within a project its using 220-240% of the CPU and if I just sit and look at the project, doing nothing the temp sits ar 165F.

I wish mine would be cool to touch as well. <Shrug>

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Happy for ya. Hope that mini of yours gives you years of good service.

I used my mini as my studio computer. Mix downs use 620% of the cpu's ability according to activity monitor during a mixdown. When just working within a project its using 220-240% of the CPU and if I just sit and look at the project, doing nothing the temp sits ar 165F.

I wish mine would be cool to touch as well. <Shrug>
Yeah, that's strange. You use your Mac, and your Mac runs hot. Who would have thought it!?

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
I don't want to have wifi problems like I do on my ipad & iphone , I need the ethernet port

Plus I do a lot of downloading if you know what I mean

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey

no fw800

not no ethernet.

While apple can really annoy me and have done so many times.

No ethernet and keeping fw800 would be one of the classic WTF apple moves.

Apple will dump fw800 and add a second tb and if so maybe the 5200.

it would allow a 3 screen setup if all 3 were 1080p
maybe one of these is a go

http://ark.intel.com/products/76087/Intel-Core-i7-4750HQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_20-GHz

http://ark.intel.com/products/76086/Intel-Core-i7-4850HQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_50-GHz

http://ark.intel.com/products/76085/Intel-Core-i7-4950HQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz

and they do have a reason to do so this machine is better then any mini on the market

http://www.zotacusa.com/zbox-id90.html

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney

It was taken off the laptops because the physical latch of the cable wasn't good when tripped over. It's a big fat connector that was effecting the physical size of the device while not used to often due to the mobile nature of the device. None of that applies to a desktop.

One of the single biggest buyers of the mini is MacMiniColo, and there are a few other large buyers who buy them as small compute units in wired networks. The adapter uses one of highband width ports for a low bandwidth use that is trivial to support with intel chipset.

Ethernet is not going to be removed on a desktops like the mini for a few years yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.