Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DblEGT

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
With all the early reviews, most people were saying generally stay away from the i7 if you don't want to cook eggs and don't want to hear a jet engine.

For those of you with the i7 CPU, it this really the case, or did the early reviewers just get it all wrong?

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2009
Well, it depends on perception. If you were used to 12" Powerbooks, the MBA feels cool and refreshing. Those could get really hot, about 55-60 °C at the underside or at the top-left corner just above the keyboard. Not so with the MBA. Maximum measurements outside were 40°C at the underside and 40°C at the top-left part of the keyboard for the i7 models, when running for 1 hour under max load. This is not different from previous models. In fact, they became a bit better in this regard thanks to the asymmetric fan introduced last year.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I haven't had any heat issues at all with my i7. It consistently runs cooler than my 2010 i5 MacBook Pro does.

Woyzeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012
No issues here as well (i7/8/256). Idle temp is about 50°C.

It only gets hot when I do heavy compilation stuff, init the iPhoto lib etc.

leslie11

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2013
Running the i7/8/256, unfortunately, mine is running really hot now, downloading some stuff via Transmission and three tabs on Safari. CPU is hardly being pressed.

I'm going to give the i5 a go and hope for less heat.

DblEGT

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
Running the i7/8/256, unfortunately, mine is running really hot now, downloading some stuff via Transmission and three tabs on Safari. CPU is hardly being pressed.

Interesting! That is exactly why I went with the i5 too. Slight difference in power didn't mean all that much to me, and I'd rather have it cool and quiet.

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008

If the CPU is not beng taxed, maybe it's not the i7. Could be the wireless chip.

I have a 2011 i5 that gets hot on long, large wireless transmissions as well.

Appledreamer

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2011
Belfast
How are you measuring this?

i have istat pro and Temp Gauge. i know its on like 99% idle while i am typing this to you. and its sitting at 36C thats the current CPU temps. i have been on it all day and it has not went above 40. i would certainly not be happy if it was sitting at 50c on idle. would you? i have only got safari....runing three tabs. mail is open, imessage.

cheers guys

Woyzeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012
50c oh dear thats not what id call good or cool. mine sitting now at 35c on idle while i type this. i5/4/128.

I have to admit that the surrounding air is currently somewhere at 32°C. It's quite hot where I'm living right now. Wish I had my own body-fans as well.

And my MBA is not exactly idle. Syncing with TimeMachine and my old Mini.

curtoise

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
i have istat pro and Temp Gauge. i know its on like 99% idle while i am typing this to you. and its sitting at 36C thats the current CPU temps. i have been on it all day and it has not went above 40. i would certainly not be happy if it was sitting at 50c on idle. would you? i have only got safari....runing three tabs. mail is open, imessage.

cheers guys

Yes i5/4/256 here and temp is 32C

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
I have to admit that the surrounding air is currently somewhere at 32°C. It's quite hot where I'm living right now. Wish I had my own body-fans as well.

Post some nude pics and you may end up with more body fans than you know what to do with.

leslie11

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2013
If the CPU is not beng taxed, maybe it's not the i7. Could be the wireless chip.

I have a 2011 i5 that gets hot on long, large wireless transmissions as well.

Boy it was hot!

I run Transmission on my iMac mostly, though it never ran that hot on my late 2010 13" MBA.

AppleMacNerd

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2013
United Kingdom
Just to compared your results to mine.

My 2011 13" MBA i5/4GB/128GB SSD.

At around 95% idle runs the cpu temp at 48'C reading from iStat Pro.
So in theory the 2013 at the same spec should run much cooler than that :)

Just thought i'd add to it incase you's wanted to compared before they changed the fans.

DblEGT

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
Apple Insider Review: http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/06/23/review-apples-new-11-inch-macbook-air

i7 11" MBA. Final comment section: Ultra quiet, near zero fan noise

Might have to return my new i5 for the i7. Fedex says I get it on Tuesday, so I'll evaluate fully. Just not sure since this is my main computer, although most of what I do is generally on the lighter side and not too taxing to the CPU. But, what about what I might want to do in the future.....:confused: I'd hate to say in 6 months..."Why didn't I get the i7"??

sofakng

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
I don't have numbers, but after playing pretty much any game the fans spin up quite loud and the bottom gets almost untouchable because of heat. (I have both 11" and 13" i7 models)

If I'm not gaming though, the fans do not even come on.

I'm wondering about the difference on the i5 as well...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.