Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
I'm about to abandon iPhoto and Aperture as the managed library simply does not work for me. The usual workflow everyone probably follows is to import pictures from a digital camera and delete the ones that are bad. In iPhoto, those pictures aren't really gone until you empty the trash in iPhoto (and I've read the osx trash too). Fine. Except for me, this never works - newly imported files never really get deleted.

After every single import I have to repair permissions on the iphoto library, which seems to allow me to delete. If I forget to do that, picture files are deleted from iPhoto but remain on disk. A repair database would put those so called deleted photos back into the iphoto library. I've tried a 'rebuild' as well, but that doesn't fix anything. In fact a brand new library has the same problem. Aperture is no better and has the same issue.

Has anyone else encountered this? I'm ready to, at best, switch to a referenced library. But I'm seriously considering just moving to lightroom or something else at this point. I searched google to no avail...

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
I'm about to abandon iPhoto and Aperture as the managed library simply does not work for me. ....
Has anyone else encountered this? I'm ready to, at best, switch to a referenced library. But I'm seriously considering just moving to lightroom or something else at this point. I searched google to no avail...

This not how iPhoto is supposed to work, and is not normal. There is another underlying issue with your installation, I believe. This issue needs to be resolved first. Repairing permissions this often is a key indicator of a much more serious problem. I can't remember the last time I needed to repair them. I'm sorry, but I have no idea where to start for you.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I agree with sbberk, you must have something else wrong with your computer.

What is very odd is that you say that it happens with both iPhoto and Aperture. This indicates that you must have a problem with your photo database... not either application.

I am a bit perplexed why you would be using both. Generally, nearly everyone would stop using iPhoto once they upgraded to Aperture. If you are switching back and forth between the two, you might have uncovered some type of bug. For sure... I would recommend doing all importing and organization via Aperture. About the only reason I might want to try iPhoto is to use some particular "project feature" such as making a calendar or photo mug that may have a template not in Aperture. Even for that... I would probably just export a few pics from Aperture and import them into a different iPhoto library.

/Jim

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
I am a bit perplexed why you would be using both. Generally, nearly everyone would stop using iPhoto once they upgraded to Aperture. If you are switching back and forth between the two, you might have uncovered some type of bug. For sure... I would recommend doing all importing and organization via Aperture.
/Jim

Thanks for the reply. Would be nice if that was the answer. I've stopped doing that (set the default program for photo libraries to be Aperture). I also switched to referenced files, makes me a bit more comfortable controlling where the images go. And finally, I'm going to use Image Capture app to import from my camera. Hopefully that will be enough to fix this problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.