Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xBlack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
I just got my iMac a couple days ago. Previous owner said he removed everything that was his and cleaned it all but the messages icon keeps updating in real time because it's still connected to his iPhone. I'm pretty unfamiliar with anything Apple right now but I am getting the hang of it. Just so I can be at a bit of ease, this guy can't see my information on this computer now can he? How can I disconnect this iMac from his iCloud account completely and have just my own. All I own is the Mac and an iPod, that's all I want connecting to each other under my own account of course.

Sorry if this isn't the appropriate place for this thread but I figure since it's an older mac and there are probably different ways to go about it on here, it might fit okay :rolleyes: Any ideas as to how I can fix these issues would be great! Thanks!

Last edited:

xBlack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
Hey is there anyone who can help answer this for me? Any tips at all would be appreciated. I've asked Apple and still waiting for a response too. Thanks :)

I'm actually going to post this is the iMac conversation instead because I'm thinking now that it's definitely in the wrong spot. hehe

Last edited:

madmacfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
London, United Kingdom
Hey is there anyone who can help answer this for me? Any tips at all would be appreciated. I've asked Apple and still waiting for a response too. Thanks :)

If you're still recieving messages from previous accounts registered on your iMac, it's still signed in to iCloud.

First things first would be to go into system preferences, click on the icloud icon and click Sign Out.

Secondly I suggest you create a new user account in the accounts preference pane and make it an administrator account. Log out and log back in with the new account you have just created, go back to the accounts pref pane, click the padlock in the left corner and then click on the old account on the left. when highlighted click the minus - button below the list of user accounts on the left to delete the old user account

When finished, sign into icloud with your own apple Id and you're good to go.

PS: There is no need To Reinstall OS X

Last edited:

xBlack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
If you're still recieving messages from previous accounts registered on your iMac, it's still signed in to iCloud.

First things first would be to go into system preferences, click on the icloud icon and click Sign Out.

Secondly I suggest you create a new user account in the accounts preference pane and make it an administrator account. Log out and log back in with the new account you have just created, go back to the accounts pref pane, click the padlock in the left corner and then click on the old account on the left. when highlighted click the minus - button below the list of user accounts on the left to delete the old user account

When finished, sign into icloud with your own apple Id and you're good to go.

PS: There is no need To Reinstall OS X

Thank you VERY much. I'll try that out!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.