Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
Happy New Year!!!

It's been a while since I've posted. Most of my time has been in the iPad and iPhone forums dealing with iPad mini and iPhone 5 upgrades. I've also been spending a lot of time beta testing the Ceton Echo. Glad to see the usual suspects are still around. I saw the following post on AVS forum for someone upgrading their 2011 Mac mini with the 2TB WD Green drive:

Hi all... Just as a follow-up, I wound up getting the iFixit dual-drive upgrade kit mentioned above and putting a Samsung 250GB SSD in there (I also swapped out the original HDD for a 2TB model while I had the guts of the mini open).
I definitely agree with @chefklc that the install procedure is not for the faint-hearted. I actually had a lot of fun doing it because it's been a while since I had to do that much physical work on a computer, and it gave me a lot of appreciation for the really outstanding work Apple put into the hardware design of the 2011 mini. But it's a pretty complex procedure during which every single component of the machine is removed from the case, and unless you get a great deal of enjoyment out of doing that kind of thing, I'd echo the sentiment that going with an external ThunderBolt drive is probably far easier.
Beyond just the physical install, getting OS/X onto a bare drive in a mini with no boot media is a profoundly irritating process during which the mini will download an entire install disk from Apple every time you boot. I finally realized that I could use the recovery partition from the original drive to do it and that sped things up somewhat (I had ordered an external 2.5" USB enclosure which was useful for this). I had already backed the mini up with Time Machine before the surgery, and everything came back perfectly, once I was finally able to get the recovery OS/X thing going.
I also ran into another problem while trying to install Boot Camp on the mini - I hit the dreaded 0x80300024 error and the Windows 7 installer wouldn't install anything in the partition I'd created. Fortunately, it wasn't too difficult to disassemble the mini enough to be able to pop off one of the two drive controllers and then continue the install (although, inevitably, I took the wrong one off and had to shut down, open the case again, replace the controller I'd disconnected and attach the other one, then put everything back together and start from scratch).
[Edit - to clarify the above, if anyone is curious, some Windows 7 install media will run into problems installing the OS onto Macs (and maybe other types of PCs) if more than one internal hard disk is present. Thanks Microsoft! The workaround is to disconnect one of the two drives, install the OS, and then reconnect the drive you disconnected once Win7 boots properly.]
So far the thing works like a charm - much faster and much quieter than my old HTPC. Thanks again for the advice!

I've been running a BTO 2011 Mac mini 2.7GHz Dual-Core Intel i7 with AMD 6630M since release date. The system is bootcamp with Windows 7 x64. I run OSX off a 240 OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS in a Thunderbolt enclosure and only connect when necessary. Windows 7 is on an internal 512GB Samsung 830 SSD with a 1TB Western Digital Scorpio Blue for storage and recording.

I'm interested in upgrading to the 2TB WD Green drive and understand its 15mm. I ordered the drive and was wondering if there are any additional modifications I need to make other than swapping the 1TB for the 2TB. The 1TB is already in the top spot (when the mini is in normal operating position.)

Last edited:

jowie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
London ish
Would it be possible to install 2 x 2TB drives into a Mac mini 2011/2012/server? Or is there not enough height inside?

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Happy New Year!!!

It's been a while since I've posted. Most of my time has been in the iPad and iPhone forums dealing with iPad mini and iPhone 5 upgrades. I've also been spending a lot of time beta testing the Ceton Echo. Glad to see the usual suspects are still around. I saw the following post on AVS forum for someone upgrading their 2011 Mac mini with the 2TB WD Green drive:

I've been running a BTO 2011 Mac mini 2.7GHz Dual-Core Intel i7 with AMD 6630M since release date. The system is bootcamp with Windows 7 x64. I run OSX off a 240 OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS in a Thunderbolt enclosure and only connect when necessary. Windows 7 is on an internal 512GB Samsung 830 SSD with a 1TB Western Digital Scorpio Blue for storage and recording.

I'm interested in upgrading to the 2TB WD Green drive and understand its 15mm. I ordered the drive and was wondering if there are any additional modifications I need to make other than swapping the 1TB for the 2TB. The 1TB is already in the top spot (when the mini is in normal operating position.)

If your 512GB Samsung drive is a 7mm drive, then yes you can fit a 15mm high drive with it. If your Samsung is a standard 9.5 or 12, then no the 15mm will not fit. I also believe if you install the 15mm drive, then your SSD will just have to "float" on top of your hard drive. This really isn't a big deal I had my SSD floating inside my 2011 Mac Mini for a year with no issues.

----------

Would it be possible to install 2 x 2TB drives into a Mac mini 2011/2012/server? Or is there not enough height inside?

No. There is only about 21 or 22mm worth of space inside a Mac Mini for the hard drives. You can only fit a 2TB drive if you go with something like a 7mm high SSD (i.e Samsung). Otherwise the largest drives you can fit are 1TB (maybe 1.5TB now, I haven't looked recently).

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
Yes, I'm using a 7mm Samsung 830 SSD. What position should the 15mm height drive be installed?

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
Additional details about installing the 15mm drive. You can not place it in the bottom spot (when Mac mini is upright) because the SATA cable makes that impossible. The 15mm drive needs to be in the top position as the other OP noted. It also floats because it can not be anchored since all the mounts are not aligned in the top position. A 7mm SSD can fit in the bottom position and be secured with mounting screws. TIP: the logic board must slide over the SATA connector on the 15mm drive. This essentially locks the 15mm drive in place.

A few concerns are the HDD is not secured by screws even though it takes up every inch of space. The SATA cable has to be bent because the drive sits much higher than a 9.5mm. I've already had the SATA cable disconnect once.

Last edited:

Hede

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2011
Denmark
Finaly got my mini upgraded with a 2tb hdd and 16gb 1600mzh ram :D
Having to bend the sata cables is a little tricky and i had trouble getting the main board to fit right. I had plenty of room hight vise for the two drives. Got a 128gb Samsung 830 ssd in there to.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
Finaly got my mini upgraded with a 2tb hdd and 16gb 1600mzh ram :D
Having to bend the sata cables is a little tricky and i had trouble getting the main board to fit right. I had plenty of room hight vise for the two drives. Got a 128gb Samsung 830 ssd in there to.
what 2TB HDD did you use? What are the dimensions I should look for? I've had 16GB for a while and would love to upgrade to 32GB. I wonder if 16GB modules for Mac Minis are being sold yet.

Don't know how people are satisfied with 128GB SSDs. I could only store a fraction of my applications on that. I need at least a 500GB SSD for the OS HDD.

Hede

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2011
Denmark
what 2TB HDD did you use? What are the dimensions I should look for? I've had 16GB for a while and would love to upgrade to 32GB. I wonder if 16GB modules for Mac Minis are being sold yet.

Don't know how people are satisfied with 128GB SSDs. I could only store a fraction of my applications on that. I need at least a 500GB SSD for the OS HDD.

There is only one 2tb drive that fit and that is 2,5. The WD WD20NPVT green drive.

128gb ssd is fine for my use. I uses my mini mostly as a music player.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
So I can install the 2,5. WD WD20NPVT green drive plus 500GB SSD in my Mini yea? Sweet.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
There is only about 21 or 22mm worth of space inside a Mac Mini for the hard drives.
More like 25 or 26mm. So if you really want to push it, you can try to press two 12,5mm drives in there or one 15mm drive and one 9.5mm drive. But I wouldn't recommend either.

lR1QgnCGH5qWSqVW.medium

I'm more interested in solutions where both drives are fixed with screws. One 7mm SSD for fusion drive speed and one 12.5mm HDD for storage space might do it.
This 9.5mm drive with 3 disks and 1.5TB storage, might indicate that a 12.5mm drive with 4 disks and 2TB is also possible in the near future. Though I care more about the best price per gigabyte ratio.

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
More like 25 or 26mm. So if you really want to push it, you can try to press two 12,5mm drives in there or one 15mm drive and one 9.5mm drive. But I wouldn't recommend either.

I'm more interested in solutions where both drives are fixed with screws. One 7mm SSD for fusion drive speed and one 12.5mm HDD for storage space might do it.

This 9.5mm drive with 3 disks and 1.5TB storage, might indicate that a 12.5mm drive with 4 disks and 2TB is also possible in the near future. Though I care more about the best price per gigabyte ratio.

How will you get the sata ribbons to reach? They are very precisely made. I tried a 12.5 a year or so ago and this was an issue.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
How will you get the sata ribbons to reach? They are very precisely made. I tried a 12.5 a year or so ago and this was an issue.
I would say the sata ports stay in the same position relatively to the screw holes. The bigger drive just has more height. When you put the 12.5mm drive in the upper position, it should not interfere with the cables. Anyway it's never easy. I destroyed my first sata cable with two standard 9.5mm drives.

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
I would say the sata ports stay in the same position relatively to the screw holes. The bigger drive just has more height. When you put the 12.5mm drive in the upper position, it should not interfere with the cables. Anyway it's never easy. I destroyed my first sata cable with two standard 9.5mm drives.

If you put in a larger drive than 9.5mm you don't use the screw holes. They just sit there with a bit of padding. From those that I have seen that were succesful in getting a larger drive in there they just let it sit there. I.e. I have seen a 12.5 dropped in the top bay but it could not be screwed in.

I am not saying it cannot be done, but from memory, the sata ribbon will not reach around the larger 12.5 drives to plug neatly into the logic board. I tried to get the 12.5 in the lower bay (just under the wifi grill) and this was an issue for me. I had a good go of this on a 2011 i5 a while back. I could get it in (just) but the sata ribbon would not reach the logic board.

Plus the drives are pretty much touching. It is really not a good stable setup to have drives touching; not screwed in; heat and vibration transference; and sata ribbon plugs almost being ripped from the logic board.

Just go for the new 1.5TB HGST 9.5mm if you are that keen for space. Two of those would give you 3TB internal and if you ran them in RAID-0 you would get good speeds.

P.S. to clarify because so many people get this wrong... the top or upper bay is the bay directly under the top alloy surface of the mini, while the lower bay is the one under the wifi grill. I say that in case you misunderstand what I said.

EDIT: New 2TB 2.5" 9.5mm drive

http://www.seagate.com/about/newsro...ivision-ships-2tb-storage-solution-pr-master/

Last edited:

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
There's a new 9.5mm 2TB Samsung/Seagate hard drive.

Last edited:

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
I would like to take the opportunity to as about the My Passport drives, as appears as an user above has experience opening these external hard drives. Curretnly I have My Passport 1TB Essential SE drive for backup, specifically this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Passport-Esse...0153&sr=8-4&keywords=my+passport+essential+se

I want to open it and replace it for a 2TB drive, as I am about to cross 1TB with my data. My computer has a USB 2.0 connection, so I think a HDD will be fine, no need for SSD

Should I use a 7mm or 9mm drive? Is there a soul out there who can give me advice on this?

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
I would like to take the opportunity to as about the My Passport drives, as appears as an user above has experience opening these external hard drives. Curretnly I have My Passport 1TB Essential SE drive for backup, specifically this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Passport-Esse...0153&sr=8-4&keywords=my+passport+essential+se

I want to open it and replace it for a 2TB drive, as I am about to cross 1TB with my data. My computer has a USB 2.0 connection, so I think a HDD will be fine, no need for SSD

Should I use a 7mm or 9mm drive? Is there a soul out there who can give me advice on this?

WD drives usually have special 2.5" drives that have a built in controller that do not have a standard sata port connection like on a normal HDD so you cannot always replace them. It will depend on the model.

Even if the drive is replaceable, it would be a lot lot cheaper just to but a WD 2TB Passport drive (complete). Standalone 2.5" sata drives are more expensive than similar sized USB enclosed drives like WD passports.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
WD drives usually have special 2.5" drives that have a built in controller that do not have a standard sata port connection like on a normal HDD so you cannot always replace them. It will depend on the model.

Even if the drive is replaceable, it would be a lot lot cheaper just to but a WD 2TB Passport drive (complete). Standalone 2.5" sata drives are more expensive than similar sized USB enclosed drives like WD passports.

Yeah. I guess you are right. I happen to dislike the current design, I will be on the look for new models.

wwohl

macrumors regular
May 2, 2013
Seriously... why?

That 2TB 2.5 inch drive is gonna cost you $250.. For that price, you can buy two external 3TB drives that will each perform better than that 2TB internal will as its likely a 5400rpm drive.

SSD inside with the 1tb and external storage outside

Joelburman

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2014
Interesting thread! I'm gonna upgrade my 2012 mini with some new drives soon. It currently sports the original 500gb HDD drive it came with.

I'd like to put in a 256gb SSD (thinking of moving my current Crucial MX100 drive that is in my macbook pro to the mini) for OSX and iTunes and add another 2.5 inch HDD unit for other media files. Which is the biggest drive I can fit there? I want to install both drives proper with screws etc.

satinsilverem2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2013
Richmond, VA
Interesting thread! I'm gonna upgrade my 2012 mini with some new drives soon. It currently sports the original 500gb HDD drive it came with.

I'd like to put in a 256gb SSD (thinking of moving my current Crucial MX100 drive that is in my macbook pro to the mini) for OSX and iTunes and add another 2.5 inch HDD unit for other media files. Which is the biggest drive I can fit there? I want to install both drives proper with screws etc.

Currently the largest drive you could fit is the Samsung/Seagate M9T 2TB drive. Its also a standard 9.5mm drive so fitment wouldn't be an issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.