Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

White Shade

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
Hello everyone.

I'm having troubles with my dad's old Macbook, which he gave up on about 4 years ago. I've taken it upon myself to attempt to bring it back to life. However, it does seem to have a very large set of issues that I'm having a lot of trouble solving.

Tech Specs: Macbook Pro (Late 2006) - 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Running OS X Version 10.5.8. Software all up to date.

Issue #1: The infamous battery issue; battery not recognized. MagSafe charger shows a very faded green light. Battery icon on the top bar is "X'd" out and 3 attempts at resetting the PRAM and SMC have ALL failed. Battery while plugged in shows a single bright green light on the left. An attempt to replace the battery with an aftermarket battery showed no sign of success and this battery had NO lights lit up at all. Also, this is what I got from pulling up battery info with the battery CONNECTED:

Battery Information:

Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 0
Fully charged: No
Charging: No
Full charge capacity (mAh): 0
Health Information:
Cycle count: 0
Battery Installed: No
Amperage (mA): 0
Voltage (mV): 0

Issue #2: The Macbook will randomly shut itself off without warning, usually after about ten minutes of light use. The problem has seemed to water itself down a bit, but it still does occur quite frequently.

Finally, if any solutions I receive do not work, will a complete wipe of the hard drive solve these issues? Since this Macbook is so old, none of the files it contains are very important anymore, so if it comes down to it, I am willing to format the system but not before troubleshooting these issues.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012
Is it possible to boot from an external hard drive? A reinstall could help.

Try repairing permissions in disk utility.

I'd bet issue 2 will be solved with issue 1

White Shade

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
Is it possible to boot from an external hard drive? A reinstall could help.

Try repairing permissions in disk utility.

I'd bet issue 2 will be solved with issue 1

It boots alright, in fact I'm typing on it right now, but there's no way to tell when/if it will shut off again. I am verifying disk permissions right now and I'll update once I attempt a repair.

*UPDATE* Permissions repaired. No changes.

Last edited:

White Shade

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
Update #2: I took the MBP apart thinking I would find a ton of dust buildup, but it was actually pretty clean inside. The next time I booted, the charging icon on the battery flashed for about 2 seconds, then went back to the "X". No problems resolved yet.

Last edited:

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012
Is rubbing alcohol safe for computers? Perhaps take some of that and compressed air and really blow / wipe the connectors for the battery clean

devilcm3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2011
South Melbourne, Australia
Is rubbing alcohol safe for computers? Perhaps take some of that and compressed air and really blow / wipe the connectors for the battery clean

why not?
in fact it is recommended to use rubbing alcohol compare to other liquids as they evaporate relatively quickly.
if battery connectors are properly disconnected he can proceed with cleaning it.

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
How old is the battery? Sounds like a dead battery to me.

----------

why not?
in fact it is recommended to use rubbing alcohol compare to other liquids as they evaporate relatively quickly.
if battery connectors are properly disconnected he can proceed with cleaning it.

Yes. (And 91% evaporates faster than 70%)

White Shade

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
How old is the battery? Sounds like a dead battery to me.

----------

Yes. (And 91% evaporates faster than 70%)

Upon removing the battery and holding it at eye-level, I noticed it was slightly beveled and thus not lining up to the connectors. By putting force on the battery while it was in the Macbook, the X on the battery indicator disappeared and the battery began charging. Success! Since I don't think holding my battery in while attempting to use the MBP sounds very practical, I will purchase a new battery and then restore the MBP and see what happens. Hopefully this might fix the auto shut-off issue as well.

----------

Update #3: I noticed some gunk in the MagSafe port. Maybe this is what is causing the shut-off issue; a flimsy connection? I tried wiping it out but it's really stuck in there and it almost looks like jelly or something o_O; Anyone know where I can buy a new MagSafe board/port?

Asuriyan

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Indiana
I found that a random shut-off issue I had with that computer's brother (the 1,1 Core Duo) was actually related to the battery. It worked fine with the battery removed entirely.

As for the MagSafe board, on that model (if I recall correctly) it was built into an I/O board containing the left side ports. You can try replacing it, or you could try near-pure isopropyl and a swab to clean out the existing jack.

White Shade

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
I found that a random shut-off issue I had with that computer's brother (the 1,1 Core Duo) was actually related to the battery. It worked fine with the battery removed entirely.

As for the MagSafe board, on that model (if I recall correctly) it was built into an I/O board containing the left side ports. You can try replacing it, or you could try near-pure isopropyl and a swab to clean out the existing jack.

Something like this?: http://bit.ly/11H10rq

Realistically, the laptop is 7 years old, so it won't be long before the port is done-in anyway. Plus the contacts look pretty worn down.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012
it sounds like the problem with the battery is that it has expanded and just doesn't fit right. a restore probably won't be necessary for that.

White Shade

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
it sounds like the problem with the battery is that it has expanded and just doesn't fit right. a restore probably won't be necessary for that.

True, but I was planning a wipe anyway since it's my dad's old laptop from forever ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.