Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ma1nstr3am

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2013
Is it possible when deleting a Smart Album in iPhoto to delete the original photos at the same time!?

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Is it possible when deleting a Smart Album in iPhoto to delete the original photos at the same time!?

I am not too sure if this is something that you want to do... or if it is something that you are afraid might happen.

The best way to think of it is that your photos "live" in events. Photos can show up in albums (real albums or smart albums)... but those are just pointers back to where the photos live.

So... deleting a photo in an Album, does not delete the photo. Deleting the photo in an event... does delete the photo.

If this is something that you might want to do (permanently delete photos from an album)... then you can select all the pictures in the album... tag them... then select all photos with that tag... and delete them.

/Jim

ma1nstr3am

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2013
I made a lot of smart albums and want to delete them but also the original pictures too.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I made a lot of smart albums and want to delete them but also the original pictures too.

Follow my advice above about tagging them in the smart albums... and then deleting the originals.

I am pretty sure this should work. I am really an Aperture user... but I think iPhoto has this same capability.

/Jim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.