Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

macbookair13crop-500x283.jpg
Following complaints from a number of new Macbook Air owners concerned about Wi-Fi performance issues, 9to5Mac reports that Apple is investigating the problem.
In the United States, Apple Geniuses and Advisors should capture MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2013) and MacBook Air (11-inch, Mid 2013) computers with any Wi-Fi issues.
Users suggest that while the Wi-Fi on affected machines will connect, the connection will time out after a minute or two requiring a restart. Apple is reportedly offering some customers new machines in order to get ahold of problematic units that will be sent back to Apple for further investigation on the source of the potential issue.

The June 2013 MacBook Airs use the newest 802.11ac Wi-Fi standard, which is designed to offer faster connectivity and bandwidth. Earlier today, new reports suggested that a separate Wi-Fi software problem might be causing MacBook Air users to experience slower-than-expected speeds on their machines.

It is unknown if the two issues are related, but both may be solved through simple software updates once Apple isolates the problem.

Article Link: Apple Looking into MacBook Air Wi-Fi Complaints, Issuing Replacements

toronado455

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2009
confusled

:confused:

So if this is not a hardware issue, why does Apple need the "problematic units" to study?

yongren

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2011
I haven't had this problem with my 2013 MBA, is there some way to reproduce the bug & see if I have it?

11" base model

Reksy

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2013
No issues on mine. Some posts ive seen suggests that if you put windows on it, the issue goes away...So i imagine its a driver issue.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Even if it is a software problem Apple would still offer replacements to dissatisfied customers because there is as yet no fix.

But hopefully it really is just a driver/software issue and not due to bad hardware :eek:

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
One issue that Apple may have to address is whether the on-board wireless network adapter works correctly with arguably the two most popular 802.11ac wireless routers out there, the Asus RT-AC66U and the Netgear R6300. If not, Apple may have to update the MacOS X 10.8 NIC driver to resolve this issue.

Ingot

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2010
No issues for me so far. This has been a great little computer for the past 6 hours that I've owned it.

No issues with mine either yet. Had it for a few days and nothing out of the ordinary has come. I hope that trend continues. MBA 11" 256gb flash and 8gb ram.

I am using it way more than my iMac 27" 2009.

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
And this is how they'll capture those MacBook Airs:

Jack "TONY IT'S JACK! I NEED THAT HELICOPTER NOW!"
Tony "Jack, I can't, CTU's resources are all tied up."
Jack "Damnit, Tony! WE NEED TO CAPTURE THOSE MACBOOK AIRS!"
Tony "You got it, Jack. Helicopter will be there in 10 minutes."

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Even if it is a software problem Apple would still offer replacements to dissatisfied customers because there is as yet no fix.

But hopefully it really is just a driver/software issue and not due to bad hardware :eek:

That's just funny.

Apple have serious Wi-Fi issues with products for over 4 years. The past response has been tough luck, deal with it. Even when you prove it infront of the staff in store.

I would imagine there will be many angry MacBook, MacBookPro owners when they see this.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Always with the WiFi.. Always

I guess Apple just hates WiFi.. Or is it the other way around? :p

palmharbor

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2007
Basic functions

Apple is always adverse to improving basic functions such as the ability to wirelessly connect to the net via wifi.

They are adverse to fixing Apple Mail.
they are advers to fix address book
They are adverse to improving copy paste, unchanged since OS 8

More interested in esoteric issues of no consequence

flash84x

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2011
:confused:

So if this is not a hardware issue, why does Apple need the "problematic units" to study?

Sometimes it is very hard to reproduce an issue, getting your hands on a device that is already experiencing the issue helps speed the debugging process up.

revisionA

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
I've been fine on two different networks, WPA and WEP and neither was AC type... guess I'm cool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.