Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
My experience with the game under OS X are not good.

In terms of framerate, in bootcamp I get steady 35+ on high-highest settings, while the Mac version suffers greatly. It seems to get better with time, but I am still getting maybe half of fps than in Windows. The single player is playable, but I cannot imagine multiplayer being fun under these conditions.

Another thing is, Max Payne 3 loads up resources behind the scene, during cutscenes. Portions of those that are "in-game" are just skipped completely as the OS X struggles to do load files and render visuals simultaneously.

Also, when I tried to change Shadows from Medium (very ugly blocky dark layers) to High, I got an error message telling me that my files are corrupted and I need to reinstall the game.

Then I got another error message when trying to change Shader quality.:D

I think I just let it sit on my hard-drive for a while and continue with the addiction to the Windows version, until maybe an update comes along.

See ya in game!:)

Yikes. I just read a post from somebody in another thread that the game was running quite nicely for them at high settings and high resolution on their iMac, I forget which model/year now but my own has a more powerful GPU so hopefully I'll be fine. I guess we shall see.

What hardware are you running on?

----------

Oh, they also mentioned a friend with a Mac Pro that uses an Nvidia card was having terrible performance issues so he wondered if there was any problem with Nvidia and the port.

imacken

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
From posts on other sites, it does seem to be a cider port by Transgaming.
Can anyone tell me why it takes a year to release a simple Cider version?

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
It looks like it has a good performance wih ATI gpus while performing very poorly on nvidia ones.

imacken

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
Probably because they only recently decided to do it. I highly doubt it took Transgaming a year.
I guess that was my point, why has it taken a year to do a simple Cider port? i wasn't suggesting that it was a year of work!

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
What happens if any bug fixes are required? A 30+GB download each time?

If you wait a few days after the patch usually Apple's servers have calculated the delta update. I find if you update straight away you will often get the entire thing. Weird but the last few Feral patches that how it worked.

Download first day the patch is launched and you have a full download, do it a week later and it's now a small delta!

Edwin

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
If you wait a few days after the patch usually Apple's servers have calculated the delta update. I find if you update straight away you will often get the entire thing. Weird but the last few Feral patches that how it worked.

Download first day the patch is launched and you have a full download, do it a week later and it's now a small delta!

Edwin

Cheers! I didn't know the MAS did delta updates. Makes more sense.

imacken

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
Edwin
Edwin. I have never seen a delta update on MAS. That's why I buy most of my stuff on Steam or developers sites like Feral!
Just a side question, why would the Apple servers have to calculate the delta? Surely the devs can just supply the delta.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Edwin. I have never seen a delta update on MAS.

If you have updated your OS or any Apple software like iPhoto you will have used a delta update. If you update as soon as you see the Red circle you are much less likely to see it.

I have seen Delta updates on everything from XCOM to BBEdit. However I have not worked out why or when they appear.

That's why I buy most of my stuff on Steam or developers sites like Feral!
Just a side question, why would the Apple servers have to calculate the delta? Surely the devs can just supply the delta.

No we can't, for MAS releases you (the developer) have to provide a mpkg to Apple they then test, rebuild and resign the installers etc before they are made live on the MAS store.

I believe they then run a diff between the previous and current builds and make a delta updater. However this is all guesswork as MAS is a black hole system.

You don't get to find out how the sausage is made, you just provide the initial ingredients and wait for the final packaged product to spit out the other end :)

Edwin

imacken

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
Thanks Edwin.
Yes, I've seen deltas for Apple updates, but never any 3rd party apps.
Must just be me!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.