Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
If that's the case and apple sticks with the current design. Get ready for some more whine and moan threads. :p

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
If it doesn't do everything that every device running Android or Windows does, then people will complain. The snarky "Android has had that for years" stuff certainly never gets old. I always want to counter with "you mean like major security holes and stuff that maybe works depending on which third of the OS fragmentation you're a part of?"

Not that I care much about the feature, but the Instagram 4.0 update for video came the day of the announcement to my iPhone 4S on iOS 6.x. My friend had a 2-year-old Samsung phone running something in the 2.x range. She had no idea how to update it to the 4.x it required, and neither did I. But for some reason she's going to get a Galaxy S4 later this year.

I don't get it. The iPhone 5 screen is NOT THAT SMALL.

notrack

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
Imo that poll has the flaw that the icons are viewed without being applied to the phone. They might look nice in detail one by one or even better grouped togther, but put them on your home screen and it looks meeeh. Just doesn't work.

Naor

macrumors regular
May 19, 2013
The icons are BEAUTIFUL and FRESH! This poll proves people love the iOS 7 design and it's far from being a disappointment. Apple only needs to change the Safari and Game Center icons.

knightfolk

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2010
Imo that poll has the flaw that the icons are viewed without being applied to the phone. They might look nice in detail one by one or even better grouped togther, but put them on your home screen and it looks meeeh. Just doesn't work.

The latest poll has the icons shown in context on the home screen, and early numbers show a 2 to 1 advantage for iOS 7.

I am sure the vocal minority that dislikes the icons will try to come up with other reasons why the poll numbers don't agree with them, just give it time.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Random people will often simply vote for something new just because it's new, not for any actual even remotely meaningful reasons.

dvir971

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
Israel
It's just pathetic how people always choose the new stuff over the old stuff... It's like they are minions of Apple and they will eat any ***** they will give it... They will never choose what they really think is better they will choose what APPLE decides is better.... Just pathetic

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's just pathetic how people always choose the new stuff over the old stuff... It's like they are minions of Apple and they will eat any ***** they will give it... They will never choose what they really think is better they will choose what APPLE decides is better.... Just pathetic
Most regular people will simply choose what they think is newer/"cooler" simply for the sake of it being new (and thus likely "cooler") to them.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

Apple knows what is best for us. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. :apple:

xcodeaddict

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
POLL:

I care about other people's opinions of something I like, personally:

[ ] <--- (tick) YES

[X] <--- (tick) NO, THAT'S ABSURB

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
POLL:

I care about other people's opinions of something I like, personally:

[ ] <--- (tick) YES

[X] <--- (tick) NO, THAT'S ABSURB
You'd be surprised how many people (pointlessly) care about what other people think about things that are essentially simply of personal taste and nothing more.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Most regular people will simply choose what they think is newer/"cooler" simply for the sake of it being new (and thus likely "cooler") to them.

Or some people are so resistant to change that nothing new will make them happy...or at least that's the category I'm in. I prefer the old Icons, but with a few exceptions I find the new icons tolerable. Some will end up in a folder day one. I actually prefer a few of the new icons (gamecenter).

batman75

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
I think they should stick with it. The minority of moaners is always very vocal.

Every time BMW launches a new car people say the same thing. Then it turns out to be the best selling model ever.

Also this poll is irrelevant because the people being polled didn't hold an iOS 7 device in their hands. This isn't a photogenic OS but it is beautiful to behold in 3D.

gopnick

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007
I agreed with the majority on all but one or two icons. Safari, Game Center, and Settings were my least favorite icons.

I like the new Photos, Mail, SMS, and Passbook icons.

I've been in the Mac universe long enough to see people predicting the death of Apple every. single. time. they release a new OS or product. "Apple doesn't have it anymore!" -- and then it always turns out to be a record-shattering product or announcement.

I'll just let the Chicken Littles keep on whining and enjoy iOS 7 when it is released.

Megakazbek

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
I think it's not correct to compare icons that were designed for two completely different style of looks. For example, the old compass icon is perfectly fine for "old" iOS 6 look, but would look awful in iOS 7, however the new icon looks good in iOS 7, but would be absolutely inappropriate for iOS 6.

The better question would be simply to show only new icons and for each ask do you like it, yes/no? It also is more important question, because icon can be horrible, but still an improvement over previous version.

Also, IMHO icons lack some of attention to details and while generally may be perceived as good, they have some "hidden" flaws that aren't usually present in Apple's designs which usually stand even most nitpicky examination. For example, the Music icon looks fine and the poll result shows that people don't see any problems with it, however for people who are familiar with musical notation, the line with rounded corners that groups two notes is just weird, because in real notation these group lines are never rounded. Why did they round corners on that icon? Even if it doesn't effect user impression of the icon, it also doesn't make any sense, which is not typical of Apple designs where every tiny detail has been thought through.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

Since iOS 7 was announced I've thought that the 3 icons that are really terrible are Safari, Game Center, and Settings. I went into this poll guessing that they'd be the 3 that lost to iOS 6.

It turns out that there are 5 icons where the old beat the new in this poll:

Siri
Safari
Game Center
Camera
Settings

So out of 26 polls, 5 of them lost out to iOS 6 and I guessed 3 of them. Well wow, if this really is a random crap-shoot like you say that's a freaking amazing coincidence for me to guess 3 out of 5 out out of 26 correctly.

Maybe I should play the lottery today!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.