Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Been offered in consumer cameras for a couple years now. Nice to see it added to iOS.

Last edited by a moderator:

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
There isn't a single one with a REAL exposure compensation. They only simulate it via live levels post processing.

CP Pro app, that does exposure compensation when you drag the adjustment section to a dark area of the shot. Works quite well.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Would be nice if they finally introduced true a exposure compensation slider, even if an "advanced mode" needed to be enabled in settings or something.

Unlikely will they add - generally, they don't add brand new functionality during the beta period.

Currently, if you don't want to use third-party camera apps (most of them support exposure carets), you can consider jailbreaking and using CameraTweak's separate expsoure caret to simulate exp. correction. (Assuming there is some darker / lighter area in the image you can position the caret on.)

----------

CP Pro app, that does exposure compensation when you drag the adjustment section to a dark area of the shot. Works quite well.

Yup, most AppStore camera apps do. Nevertheless, I'd go the JB + CameraTweak way, it's the best IMHO.

----------

Is there something preventing Apple from putting a timer on the camera app? Camera plus has it, but no HDR.

BTW, timers are also supported by CameraTweak.

carfac

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
Pretty sue this has been on Android for a few years now... at least something like this was on an HTC phone I was using last year for sure. Multiple shots and it puts them all together.

Its cool and all, but it is sure not unique to Apple or the iPhone.... they are rather late to this game. Again.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Pretty sue this has been on Android for a few years now... at least something like this was on an HTC phone I was using last year for sure. Multiple shots and it puts them all together.

Its cool and all, but it is sure not unique to Apple or the iPhone.... they are rather late to this game. Again.

Yup, it's been present on some other platforms for years.

xcodeaddict

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013

"Good old Android"

Nope, good old digital cameras. Apple may be "rather late", but I'd rather things were late and well done, than early and without due thought and badly executed, just because the OEM thinks the feature is missing and HAS to be in a spec sheet.

carfac

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
I'd rather things were late and well done, than early and without due thought and badly executed...

Are you saying that the HTC implementation of this sucked? Is this based on personal experience on your part?

Or are you saying the Apple version is Gods gift to photography? Again, based on your usage?

You or I don't have a CLUE what Apple's version is like...

xcodeaddict

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
Are you saying that the HTC implementation of this sucked? Is this based on personal experience on your part?

Or are you saying the Apple version is Gods gift to photography? Again, based on your usage?

You or I don't have a CLUE what Apple's version is like... but I guess a fanboi is a fanboi and it does not matter whether it REALLY is good, if it says Apple it MUST be good.

It's simple - Apple's implementations of things may take longer, but are generally FAR better, and that's not something I wish to debate really - it's obvious by mere observation and common sense.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
In addition to a complete redesign and a slew of new features, Apple's iOS 7 offers a number of APIs for developers, including several camera improvements like zoom capabilities for video.

According to 9to5Mac, iOS 7 beta 2, which debuted yesterday, added a new function that allows developers to access image detectors to locate facial expressions within photos.

While face recognition was originally introduced with iOS 5, the new APIs can detect distinct expressions like smiles and blinking, functionality that is found in several basic point-and-shoot cameras.

Since the iPhone's debut, Apple has worked hard to improve both the camera hardware and software of its devices, so it is no surprise that iOS 7 will offer multiple camera enhancements for developers. Each iteration of iOS has included new features, such as the volume shutter controls that debuted with iOS 5 and the panorama capabilities added with iOS 6.

Apple's camera expansion efforts have largely paid off, with the iPhone 4, 4S, and 5 ranked as the three most popular cameras on photo sharing site Flickr. The iPhone's camera was also the highlight of a recent Apple advertising campaign.

Along with software improvements in iOS 7, Apple's next generation iPhone is also expected to feature several photo-focused enhancements. The iPhone 5S is rumored to have a higher megapixel camera and a dual LED flash that was revealed in device photos earlier this week.

Article Link: New APIs in iOS 7 Allow Developers to Detect Blinking and Smiling in Photos

Keep those tweaks comin'.....so in October you can take my $$$..... :D

PollyK

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2013
Sorry but the ignorance in this thread is quite telling. Anyways, please realize this has already been done. GS3 had this feature at launch. Great for iPhone users, nothing new to Galaxy S users. Still waiting for something new to the industry from Apple.

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles
I'd rather them focus on focus. Images appear okay, but if I look closely, quite a few iPhone images aren't in focus. I guess that's what you get with a camera phone though, considering I've had mirrorless cameras that have a tough time with this also.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
It's simple - Apple's implementations of things may take longer, but are generally FAR better, and that's not something I wish to debate really - it's obvious by mere observation and common sense.

Siri was in beta and quite unreliable when it was launched for 4s
Apple Maps was a cynical conundrum at first compared to Google maps
iMessage is flaky at best, sometime ended up as text message instead and is frankly no better than legacy BBm
Late 2012 iMac announcement was a mistake. Too little too early. It wasn't ready yet. Cook himself said so

Apple late to the game but generally far better.. Hmm .. You sure?

xcodeaddict

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
Sorry but the ignorance in this thread is quite telling. Anyways, please realize this has already been done. GS3 had this feature at launch. Great for iPhone users, nothing new to Galaxy S users. Still waiting for something new to the industry from Apple.

It's nothing new to Samsung users because Samsung users can only expect the rushed, clunky showy junk that Samsung create to fill their bullet pointed marketing leaflets. The wise and patient of the iPhone users - granted, that isn't all them - are willing to play the long game and wait for Apple to sit and wait to see how things develop with the bleeding edge, AKA Samsung, then take the parts that are essential and which work, then refine and refine and refine them until their version is insanely "fat free", and works as you expect it to, without all the UI fanfare and silly gimmicks.

You can call it "fanboyism" - I do not deny Apple make mistakes, of course they do, but I call it expectation based upon a concrete, industry-shaping history of successful implementations of tech which others have totally messed up due to them rushing to get it out "on time", or having totally missed the point of the feature they tried to implement (in a rush).

I love this video, because it summarises what I've always thought Apple stand for, and they do SO well:

PS: I'm not defined by what others call me or think of me - if you want to call me a "fanboy" then I cannot stop you, but remember - it doesn't change me, and it doesn't change Apple being amazing, and having formed the smart-phone industry as we know it - they're the "Gold Standard", and I trust their designers exponentially more than those working for the myriad of other "iPhone killer/iPhone toppler" OEMs - mistakes or not, they're worlds ahead.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here

Obviously Apple isn't breaking any new grounds with the addition of this smile and blink-detection API. They're not the first, and for all we know they might not even have the best implementation. But by including this as an API, it makes it much easier for developers to include this functionality in their apps- and that's good news for everybody.

xcodeaddict

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
Obviously Apple isn't breaking any new grounds with the addition of this smile and blink-detection API. They're not the first, and for all we know they might not even have the best implementation. But by including this as an API, it makes it much easier for developers to include this functionality in their apps- and that's good news for everybody.

API's the word! (or acronym :p)

Xcode and iPhone makes it easier by far. Sure, Android may have the functionality, but is that across Android or just with Samsung's closed API? Do I know what hardware my app I am writing will be run on, or do I have to buy EVERY SINGLE Android device in production, and test it on ALL of them?

I'll take Apple, thanks. :)

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
It's nothing new to Samsung users because Samsung users can only expect the rushed, clunky showy junk that Samsung create to fill their bullet pointed marketing leaflets. The wise and patient of the iPhone users - granted, that isn't all them - are willing to play the long game and wait for Apple to sit and wait to see how things develop with the bleeding edge, AKA Samsung, then take the parts that are essential and which work, then refine and refine and refine them until their version is insanely "fat free", and works as you expect it to, without all the UI fanfare and silly gimmicks.

That's the problem of your logic there. You only think Samsung as a juvenile company who'd love to rush out products and half baked services.

Samsung is honestly the only company capable of handling Apple's production demands for chips and ICs.
Without Samsung rushing forward with innovation you might not be able enjoy what Apple has today.

And talking about rushing half baked products, Apple does it often too. You know ... MobileMe, Thunderbolt, Siri, Apple Maps.

Yet Apple often embarrassingly late to the game. Like 1080p iTunes movies, 1080p Apple TV, iPhone 3G, USB 3.0 on Mac, cut paste operation of Finder. Really bro? No reason to delay such things but they did.

Apple makes nice product, no doubt about it. But when I meet people rushing in, bashing out competition and overly worship Apple as if it's the only tech company on planet earth .. it deserves some :rolleyes::rolleyes:

xcodeaddict

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
That's the problem of your logic there. You only think Samsung as a juvenile company who'd love to rush out products and half baked services.

Samsung is honestly the only company capable of handling Apple's production demands for chips and ICs.
Without Samsung rushing forward with innovation you might not be able enjoy what Apple has today.

And talking about rushing half baked products, Apple does it often too. You know ... MobileMe, Thunderbolt, Siri, Apple Maps.

Yet Apple often embarrassingly late to the game. Like 1080p iTunes movies, 1080p Apple TV, iPhone 3G, USB 3.0 on Mac, cut paste operation of Finder. Really bro? No reason to delay such things but they did.

Apple makes nice product, no doubt about it. But when I meet people rushing in, bashing out competition and overly worship Apple as if it's the only tech company on planet earth .. it deserves some :rolleyes::rolleyes:

You're comparing electronic components with consumer products - if you'd thought that through a little more carefully, you'd know that they are ENTIRELY different divisions of the same brand name.

I could supply ship loads of white flour and raisins around the world, but does that make me a baker? Samsung doesn't dictate what parts Apple use - Apple say: "Samsung, we need this specification part - please make us 100,000,000 over the next year, to these measurements and with this connector, and with these voltages and pins", and Samsung fulfil the order(s).

It seems obvious (to me) this is how it works, but having a certification as electronics engineers helps also.

Take care, cheers :)

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
The code says something about a minimum OS X requirement. More artificial limitations? "The older iMac cannot provide the processing power required for blink detection." ;)

Yep. God forbid they add a new feature to new versions of their OSs without backporting them all to the older versions. :rolleyes:

I suppose you want them to backport Grand Central Dispatch and Intel processor support all the way back to Puma, too?

xcodeaddict

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
Yep. God forbid they add a new feature to new versions of their OSs without backporting them all to the older versions. :rolleyes:

I suppose you want them to backport Grand Central Dispatch and Intel processor support all the way back to Puma, too?

LOL!! Yep, you got that right - hehe

I don't expect non-coders/engineers to understand, and I'll explain what I can in layman's terms, but there's a limit to we can say, which people will understand.

4TheLoveOfTech

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013

You can call it "fanboyism" - I do not deny Apple make mistakes, of course they do, but I call it expectation based upon a concrete, industry-shaping history of successful implementations of tech which others have totally messed up due to them rushing to get it out "on time", or having totally missed the point of the feature they tried to implement (in a rush).

I love this video, because it summarises what I've always thought Apple stand for, and they do SO well:

YouTube: video

PS: I'm not defined by what others call me or think of me - if you want to call me a "fanboy" then I cannot stop you, but remember - it doesn't change me, and it doesn't change Apple being amazing, and having formed the smart-phone industry as we know it - they're the "Gold Standard", and I trust their designers exponentially more than those working for the myriad of other "iPhone killer/iPhone toppler" OEMs - mistakes or not, they're worlds ahead.

There are not a thousand no's.

Why would a Billion Dollar company put out a multi-nation campaign and a company that is the "Gold Standard" have a typo/grammatical error in ads and videos?

No's is not a word and has never been in the English language.

I don't think Apple No's what a proof reader is.

Way to set the Gold Standard for the world. It's almost like they are trying to "Think Different" which was never grammatically correct either.

But who No's. The beautiful pastel Easter egg look with iOS 7 may become the new "Gold Standard" because it was designed in "California by Apple".

That means so much to someone in Europe, Asia or all of the other countries that Apple peddle their wares.

The "Gold Standard" doesn't mean a lot when the American dollar or Apple can't back it.

xcodeaddict

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
There are not a thousand no's.

Why would a Billion Dollar company put out a multi-nation campaign and a company that is the "Gold Standard" have a typo/grammatical error in ads and videos?

No's is not a word and has never been in the English language.

I don't think Apple No's what a proof reader is.

Way to set the Gold Standard for the world. It's almost like they are trying to "Think Different" which was never grammatically correct either.

But who No's. The beautiful pastel Easter egg look with iOS 7 may become the new "Gold Standard" because it was designed in "California by Apple".

That means so much to someone in Europe, Asia or all of the other countries that Apple peddle their wares.

The "Gold Standard" doesn't mean a lot when the American dollar or Apple can't back it.

Could it be that Apple, with many, many employees and an impeccable level of detail, have spelt something wrong? They're human; they may have, yes. However, I am willing to bet you a LOT of money that their spelling of the phrase is correct, and yours isn't, since you have no face to lose from it, whereas with Apple it could cost them.

Please refer to: http://www.eng-lang.co.uk/apostrophe_rules.htm

You and I can agree to disagree, and that's alright with me :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.