Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jroth21

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2012
Okay I had a thread open saying $30 unlimited data hotspot for iPhone 5. Is there a way on Verizon to not get interrupted by an incoming call? Like turn calls off or have them block from coming in so you do not get interrupted?

I really did not think about this til someone posted this in my other thread but was wondering if there is a workaround. I know you cannot talk and surf at same time but is there away to shut calls off?

Thank You,

jroth21

dornbosj

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2013
good question

I too am wondering this same thing. I'm happy to be on Verizon's network but need a workaround for the interruptions to a hotspot connection. Does turning the DND on an iPhone work for this? I've looked in 'My Verizon' and don't see any universal blocking features.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Okay I had a thread open saying $30 unlimited data hotspot for iPhone 5. Is there a way on Verizon to not get interrupted by an incoming call? Like turn calls off or have them block from coming in so you do not get interrupted?

I really did not think about this til someone posted this in my other thread but was wondering if there is a workaround. I know you cannot talk and surf at same time but is there away to shut calls off?

Thank You,

jroth21

I too am wondering this same thing. I'm happy to be on Verizon's network but need a workaround for the interruptions to a hotspot connection. Does turning the DND on an iPhone work for this? I've looked in 'My Verizon' and don't see any universal blocking features.

Move to an android device that doesn't have the limitations of the iphone on CDMA. Many of the Android devices on Verizon can handle voice and data simultaneously.

Cheers,

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Thank You,

jroth21

Yes, there is.
Switch to AT&T or Tmobile:D

dornbosj

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2013
iphone5 and verizon workaround

Thanks for your responses, but I'm looking for a way to block all calls on my verizon iphone5. I'm not interested in leaving verizon or my iphone 5.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Thanks for your responses, but I'm looking for a way to block all calls on my verizon iphone5. I'm not interested in leaving verizon or my iphone 5.

Honestly I don't think there is a way to do that.
Phone calls take priority on Verizon and Sprint and all data stops in order for the call to come in to the iphone.
That would drive me nuts if I was tethering and downloading something and the download keeps dropping every time someone decided to call.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Honestly I don't think there is a way to do that.
Phone calls take priority on Verizon and Sprint and all data stops in order for the call to come in to the iphone.
That would drive me nuts if I was tethering and downloading something and the download keeps dropping every time someone decided to call.

I've never seen a way to do that either. It a limitation of the CDMA versions of the iPhone which I hope is remedied in the next release.

Cheers,

Diseal3

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
I've never seen a way to do that either. It a limitation of the CDMA versions of the iPhone which I hope is remedied in the next release.

Cheers,

Aren't we all. Pretty sure they would have to change the antenna design so it might be delayed for iPhone 6. I'll try to keep optimistic though.

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
Well if it's the same people calling that always interrupt and if you never want to talk to them ever again, you can block 5 phone numbers through your account preferences on My Verizon. :eek:

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Does VzW allow you to forward your calls via the network? You might try that - but you'd need a number to forward them to...

Edit: looks like they do, use *72 followed by the 10-digit phone number to activate.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
I seem to remember seeing somewhere that if you use GoogleVoice you can turn on their DND and all calls go to VM. These folks had the full GV / Sprint integration so I'm not sure how it would work on Verizon.

Cheers,

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
The option I gave above should work - basically the network is told that any calls for your number should be forwarded to the specified number.

The iPhone isn't involved, the network intercepts the call and doesn't ring your phone.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
The option I gave above should work - basically the network is told that any calls for your number should be forwarded to the specified number.

The iPhone isn't involved, the network intercepts the call and doesn't ring your phone.

That option will work as long as the person has another number to fwd to. Many people do not. It would be nice if Verizon had a simple send all calls to VM feature.

Cheers,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.