Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rampancy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
So as I have mentioned in other threads, people who are completely unaware that the Intel transition ever happened see only a cheap Mac. They may wonder why it looks a little different then the newer Macs but they still assume they are getting something that can run Mountain Lion. Then they find out everything we have to tell them and they aren't happy. Because they did not do their research, because they believe they were fooled and because they made a wrong decision. People will do almost anything to avoid admitting they were wrong. Admitting it to yourself is often the most difficult. Add in the PC lens as mentioned above and you have uninformed users who would rather blame the product then their bad decision.

This reminds me of something I've seen on eBay, Kijiji and Craigslist that really bothers me; people trying to pass off their iBooks and PowerBooks as "MacBooks", especially the later aluminum PowerBook G4s. Your later point has also made me wonder if this also extends to early Intel Macs too; people snap up a cheap 2006 MacBook but don't realize that they're limited to either Lion or Snow Leopard.

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
the mac pro even uses ide dvd drives :rolleyes:

In 2009 they switched to SATA DVD drives for the Mac Pro.

I have a few PPC Macs and they're a lot of fun. Technically, there really isn't anything that I do that I couldn't do on a PPC, but some of the tasks would take orders of magnitude longer. The PPC RISC architecture was superior, but it was outnumbered.

I definitely think the PPC Macs were the best looking Macs. I live the clean lines of the aluminum Intel boxes, but the PPC Macs had character.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here

I have a few PPC Macs and they're a lot of fun. Technically, there really isn't anything that I do that I couldn't do on a PPC, but some of the tasks would take orders of magnitude longer. The PPC RISC architecture was superior, but it was outnumbered.

I definitely think the PPC Macs were the best looking Macs. I live the clean lines of the aluminum Intel boxes, but the PPC Macs had character.

No worries he's left for "greener pastures"

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
I think you're right but it is understandable to a certain degree. Most people I know are Windows users that have started the move toward Apple thanks to iOS devices. The only thing is that they have been using Intel machines most of their computing lives and they are only now making the switch over to Apple(which as you know is now Intel only as far as their computers go). So telling someone that is a new Mac user that older macs exist that are non-intel and no longer supported view them through the Windows lens of Windows-based computers that are the same age that they(and most others) consider to be almost useless.

It just comes down to correcting that inaccurate association.

It's funny, because you're exactly right. I'm one of those windows users and I actually just dropped by the Powermac forum to see why all you crazy people are still using such old computers :D I can see using one as a family or home computer because most people don't upgrade very often or need a brand new computer. It's much harder for me to picture using an old computer for actual work, especially graphics based stuff and photo editing.

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador
It's funny, because you're exactly right. I'm one of those windows users and I actually just dropped by the Powermac forum to see why all you crazy people are still using such old computers :D I can see using one as a family or home computer because most people don't upgrade very often or need a brand new computer. It's much harder for me to picture using an old computer for actual work, especially graphics based stuff and photo editing.

yeah, because photo editing is impossible on a ppc mac... http://www.flickr.com/photos/rodol

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011

ALmost my whole family thinks I'm crazy because of my using PPC Macs, but even though they're unsupported as far as Apple is concerned and most other developers, I have used mine a lot and for everything I need. I'm also discovering on a daily basis that these machines can do more than even I realize. And many, MANY people still use them as their primary machines for photo/video editing and production as well as web development, web servers, media hubs, file servers, and other tasks that require a lot of power. As long as you can get by the feeling of being on an unsupported platform, getting the 2.5 quad PowerMac fully loaded shouldn't cost more than $400 with a display and necessary accessories. I would love to have this machine but have ZERO money for it. That machine would be more powerful than the iMac I sold and it would be less expensive as well.

These machines are still awesome.

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013

PPC was superior, until Intel figured out they just couldn't keep pimping extreme clock speeds to make up for the inferior CISC architecture. Once Intel figured that out and started pumping out processors that were RISC-enough, PowerPC was doomed.

Why were they doomed? They simply couldn't keep up anymore. The edge they always had from RISC being able to do more at the same clock speed was destroyed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.