Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ios_7_business_icon.jpg
As noted by The Verge, Apple has launched a new page on its website highlighting some of the features in iOS 7 targeted at business users.
iOS 7 provides enhanced security, powerful new ways to configure and deploy devices at scale, and features to help businesses purchase, distribute, and manage apps with ease. Features including per app VPN, enterprise single sign on, App Store license management, and new mobile device management (MDM) configuration options are just some of the new capabilities in iOS 7 that provide more for organizations of all sizes.
Among the features highlighted by Apple:

- Manage which apps and accounts can be used to open documents
- Configure individual apps to automatically connect to VPN when opened
- More flexible management of App Store licenses for companies
- New configuration options and streamlined enrollment for mobile device management (MDM)
- Single sign on for authenticating corporate credentials across apps
- Passcode protection of data in third-party apps
- Mail improvements
- Server caching of software purchases and downloads for more efficient distribution

Apple regularly address enterprise adoption of the iPhone and iPad during its quarterly earnings conference calls, noting during its most recent call that according to one study iOS devices are currently accounting for 77% of enterprise device activations. Nearly all of the Fortune 500 companies have piloted or deployed iPhone and iPad with new authorization from the U.S. Department of Defense to use iOS devices on secure military networks, boosting the status of iOS as a secure platform.

Apple has posted a similar page highlighting iOS 7 features for education users. Many of the same features as those highlighted for business are included on that page, with AirDrop, Apple TV enhancements, and iTunes U and iCloud backup for students of all ages unique to the education page.

Article Link: Apple Highlights iOS 7 Features for Business and Education Users

Megakazbek

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
I just don't understand how you can use iOS efficiently in business if you cannot even copy document to/from it without iTunes

GenesisJLS

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2009
The ability to transfer documents to and from any iOS device is severely crippled with being attached to iTunes at the hip. Oh, don't even get me started about iCloud. I wish it was simpler to transfer documents to the iPhone without iTunes.

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
I just don't understand how you can use iOS efficiently in business if you cannot even copy document to/from it without iTunes

You can over the internet, but yes, with the lack of a file system (or lack of access to) it is pretty difficult to transfer documents without iTunes.

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
For transferring files cant you just use the "Open with" option on your iphone and it will copy said document to said app's folder? Then, app permitting, you can email the file...

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011

The ability not to store documents (easily) on the iPad is a feature for many companies by the way.

Sora

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
New York, NY

Its an archaic way of file management. Reminds me of Windows 3.11
With cloud computing - copying a file, or access to a local "file" is a thing of the past.

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD

I have all kinds of documents on my iphone and ipad and I never had to connect to itunes. In fact itunes doesn't even have my phone.

Needing a file browser is so 2000s. And in the corporate world documents come from 4 places. Web, Email, Self, or corporate document repository.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
What Apple can do is provide us with a file manager that limits the folders you can see and also give us the ability to transfer files to these folders directly via USB or downloads. It's just a wish and I don't think Apple will ever implement this.

Megakazbek

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
I have all kinds of documents on my iphone and ipad and I never had to connect to itunes. In fact itunes doesn't even have my phone.
So, you just dragged document onto iPad icon to put it there?
Oh, wait, there is no SIMPLE way to do it, you have to use elaborate multi-step schemes involving clouds/mail/whatever, just to do the simplest task ever.

Needing a file browser is so 2000s.
I never implied that I want any kind of file browser or file system.

And in the corporate world documents come from 4 places. Web, Email, Self, or corporate document repository.
So explain, what is the simplest way to use iPad to modify an excel table situated on corporate file server?

litmag01

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2009
Corporate app development and purchase/license management is key. Hopefully this will include better app control.

Last edited:

Snowshiro

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
The ability not to store documents (easily) on the iPad is a feature for many companies by the way.

While it may be true that companies don't always want employees copying files onto mobile devices (for obvious security reasons) this is almost always done on the computer side, by having heavily locked down USB options on corporate PCs.

The problem with Apple's approach, is that it doesn't give the company a choice. They have to go with what Apple decides, rather than the flexibility to do it themselves, or not.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
What Apple can do is provide us with a file manager that limits the folders you can see and also give us the ability to transfer files to these folders directly via USB or downloads. It's just a wish and I don't think Apple will ever implement this.

I think any "file browser" like app that Apple will implement for iOS would be based on tags. An app that can list all tagged documents across various application sandboxes to allow you to view them in different contexts. Possibly with some sort of quick view feature.

I'd bet on viewing only. No way to transfer documents between applications. Sharing would still be handled by the app that owns the document.

Could be in iOS 7 based on Apple's mention that tags created in Mavericks sync to iOS devices.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu

A lot of this they already did for you with DOS 3.3 that shipped with the Apple II.

Local manipulation of documents is not going to be around forever. May as well adapt now so it isn't as much of a shock later. While you're at it, you can also remove those floppy and zipp drives.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
We use WebDAV server for our iPads; as they are per single-device-policy there is no iTunes. As lots apps support WebDAV this is not a big deal. GoodReader is also very helpful go mange file structures; though borderline from information security point of view; actually too flexible.

But also agree, file management is not most user friendly. Improvements in this area still welcome. Required actually to avoid Win8 to take over the business iPads.

Single-sign-on, yes, please. Pain in the neck today with those constant web logins.

EricTheHalfBee

Suspended
Mar 10, 2013
Hilarious watching people come up with BS excuses or problems that don't exist to try and downplay this or the use of iPhones/iPads in the enterprise.

iOS already dominates enterprise over Android and BB. Now Apple has made a huge upgrade to security and device management for those same users. Game over for Android and BB as far as enterprise goes.

Quercus Alba

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2013
Wont airdrop help with that?

You'd think it would, but (so far) Apple has made the genius decision of not allowing airdrop to work between Macs and iOS devices, crippling it for no good reason.

Dear APPLE:

How to fix iOS:
1) Add a Finder.app for file management and transfer
2) Let AppStore apps access and modify files saved in Finder
3) Fix AirDrop
4) Let Finder access iCloud on iOS and OS X and let us put whatever files we want in there
DONE. iOS IS NOW PERFECT.

How not to fix iOS:
1) Ruin all the icons
2) Make everything blindingly white
3) Make the wallpaper blow bubbles and wobble when you move
4) Make the font eye-itchingly thin.
OH WAIT, WHOOPS.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Feature request

I have a feature request. I want to be able to sort incoming email (arrived mail) by sender and search by sender then sort for it.

I would like an app that follows my web forums and subjects and displays new messages for forums and threads I want to follow ala Newswatcher, which was a VERY powerful Usenet app.

Rocketman

No5tromo

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2012
Maybe they should also release a professional looking theme that doesn't look like Hello Kitty meets My Little Pony and let all of us benefit.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i cannot even add my work email to the iphone ... and i cant access our server with all the documents stored on either ... failed iPad pilot project at work.

now they got those horrible samsung tablets that actually work on this aspect but suck on any other matter which are less important for work unfortunately and didnt justify keeping the ipads at work

Megakazbek

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
Local manipulation of documents is not going to be around forever. May as well adapt now so it isn't as much of a shock later. While you're at it, you can also remove those floppy and zipp drives.
First of all, you cannot force the same level of modernity to your clients or partners. For business use, your system necessarily has to be compatible with archaic methods.
Second, even if am not using local document manipulation in my business, how do you suggest I set up iOS to read and edit corporate documents? There aren't easy document access and manipulations features in iOS even if it's non-local. It only supports highly limited and proprietary solutions like iCloud and iWorks that aren't going to be widely implemented in corporate world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.