Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you upgrade to iPhone 5S?

• YES (currently owning iPhone 5)

Votes: 81 19.2%
  • YES (currently owning iPhone 4S, 4, 3GS, etc.)

Votes: 102 24.2%
  • YES (currently owning non-Apple smartphone)

Votes: 22 5.2%
  • NO (waiting for 6, not interested, no budget etc.)

Votes: 119 28.2%
  • UNDECIDED (5S is not even released yet!!!)

Votes: 98 23.2%

• Total voters

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
I have the iphone5 but Im planning to upgrade just because I like new gadgets. But I think the upgrade is going to be so small that I expect it to be silly if Apple hold an announcement for it even....Though I wish it was something more. My main reason for upgrading is because my 5 has gotten so many scuffs and marks that it´s becoming really ugly. Think I´m gonna try the white this time, looks better with iOS 7 and also hopefully scuffs are less visible. ...I know it´s just vain and superficial...no need to tell me ;)

ratbrain

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2010
ill probably upgrade as i am a tmo user and have had the 5 since launch.

im sure alot of other fellow users like myself will to get it [5S] for the extra aws band support found in the updated 5 model.

LTE is still not a deal breaker for me since i dont have very good LTE coverage in my area. [so cal]

RobocopAndy

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2013
Due to the amount of time waiting for an announcement about the 5s / 6.. I've just signed up on a 2 year deal and get a Samsung galaxy 4. I've always had apple but its taken too long over my contract !

iLuvMyMacToo

macrumors regular
May 18, 2010
Australia
I purposely stayed with my 4S because I anticipated the 5S to be an improved version of 5 (much like 4 to 4S was) so I'm definitely getting the 5S :D

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
It's 90% certain that the coming 5S will look similar to 5, based on recently leaked photos. Hence, the only changes we will probably see are hardware upgrades, which are rumoured to be:
1. Faster A7 chip, faster GPU
2. 1.5-2GB RAM to accompany numerous new features in iOS 7
3. X2 resolution (which results in 461 ppi)
4. 13MP camera with dual flash
5. Fingerprint scanning (some people speculate 'S' in this version refers to 'Security')
6. Wifi ac and LTEa
7. The new MacBook Air line has received a huge battery life upgrade, so some people hope the same thing will happen on the iPhone 5S

Let's see how many of us will upgrade to 5S :cool:. Count me in as one, currently owning a 5 (without a contract).

1. pretty obvious
2. doubt Apple will increase RAM. iPhone 5 is the first iPhone to have 1GB RAM.
3. not happening
4. seems likely
5. been in every rumor
6. 802.11ac seems likely given new MacBook Airs
7. That's due to Intel's Haswell chip, not due to Apple's hardware. Haswell not coming to the iPhone.

Most of these specs seems pretty unlikely and unrealistic...

I wonder how the poll would change if we had some more reasonable specs...

iPhone 5S
iPhone 5 design
4-inch Retina display (326 ppi)
LTE world phone
802.11ac Wi-Fi
A7 chip
1GB RAM
13MP iSight camera with dual flash
Fingerprint scan
iOS 7

Twixt

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
I am still using a 3GS but this 5S does not bring enough for me to buy it.
Screen size is killer concern here...

gniss39

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2007
Eugene, OR
I'm eligible for an upgrade now on Verizon and have had 4S since it's launch that is in great condition. Torn between a 5S or an android after hopefully getting at least $250 for my 4S (pre 5S release). Waiting to see what key lime pie brings to the table to decide on my next phone.

cmanderson

macrumors regular
May 20, 2013
7. The new MacBook Air line has received a huge battery life upgrade, so some people hope the same thing will happen on the iPhone 5S

Stuffing an Intel mobile processor in the iPhone certainly will not result in increased battery life, ala MacBook Air's refreshed battery and bump from Ivy Bridge to Haswell (and clock speed decrease.) Do some people use reason when they hope for things?

CrzyP

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
I'll be going for a 4S to 5S. The wife has a 5 and it really is better than the 4S. The 4S has a lot of lag compared to the 5.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
As someone once told me, the "S" usually stands for sucker when it comes to the iPhones since the changes on the "S" line are usually minuscule.

Hate to tell ya, all iPhone upgrades are minuscule.... :)

Every other year is a good upgrade path whether you are on the S cycle or not.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
I more excited to see what Apple does with iOS 8 and the iPhone 6 now. iOS 7 has paved the way for some really nice changes in the future.

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
I would like to; however, I will only be upgrading to the 5S from my 4S if they increase the storage capacity. I only have 1.2 GB left on my 64 GB model. Aside from storage, I have no gripes with the 4S - it still runs like butter; still holds all my content (for now); and still doesn't have any visual defects.

I'm with you, bring on the 128!
I'm not sure I'd like the taller screen?

----------

Hate to tell ya, all iPhone upgrades are minuscule.... :)

Every other year is a good upgrade path whether you are on the S cycle or not.

true, but I guess it depends what you had before?
I went from the original 8 gig, to the 32 gig 3S and now the 64 gig 4s.
Each time a better processor, ram, storage, camera, so I think the upgrades every 2 years are worth it but the 5s will have to up it to 128!
I don't know how people are dealing with the android phones, too big, you can't fit them in your pocket!
they can have 'em!

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I'm with you, bring on the 128!
I'm not sure I'd like the taller screen?

----------

true, but I guess it depends what you had before?
I went from the original 8 gig, to the 32 gig 3S and now the 64 gig 4s.
Each time a better processor, ram, storage, camera, so I think the upgrades every 2 years are worth it but the 5s will have to up it to 128!
I don't know how people are dealing with the android phones, too big, you can't fit them in your pocket!
they can have 'em!

I agree. I like the big screens they have but the majority of the time my phone is in my pocket or against my head so it makes little difference. That's why I could careless if Apple stuck with 4" screen for years to come. That's just me though.

I'm only interested in processor and GPU if the OS is sophisticated enough to require it. My 4S is still doing fine in that aspect, curious to see how the final release of iOS 7 runs on it.

Lianna westgate

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2013
Reply from lianna westgate:
Absolutely this is a must in spite of these
apparent faults that seem to be transpiring
through network submissions, it seems to be
the glorified superior.

jarden1982

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2013
Memphis, Tennessee
It's 90% certain that the coming 5S will look similar to 5, based on recently leaked photos. Hence, the only changes we will probably see are hardware upgrades, which are rumoured to be:
1. Faster A7 chip, faster GPU
2. 1.5-2GB RAM to accompany numerous new features in iOS 7
3. X2 resolution (which results in 461 ppi)
4. 13MP camera with dual flash
5. Fingerprint scanning (some people speculate 'S' in this version refers to 'Security')
6. Wifi ac and LTEa

Let's see how many of us will upgrade to 5S :cool:. Count me in as one, currently owning a 5 (without a contract).

I read that the new 5s will be operating on a global 4g lte network, allowing it to pick up on all networks. If this is indeed true, I will be upgrading to the 5s. Truth be told, even if it isn't, I still will upgrade to the 5s.

----------

1. pretty obvious
2. doubt Apple will increase RAM. iPhone 5 is the first iPhone to have 1GB RAM.
3. not happening
4. seems likely
5. been in every rumor
6. 802.11ac seems likely given new MacBook Airs
7. That's due to Intel's Haswell chip, not due to Apple's hardware. Haswell not coming to the iPhone.

Most of these specs seems pretty unlikely and unrealistic...

I wonder how the poll would change if we had some more reasonable specs...

iPhone 5S
iPhone 5 design
4-inch Retina display (326 ppi)
LTE world phone
802.11ac Wi-Fi
A7 chip
1GB RAM
13MP iSight camera with dual flash
Fingerprint scan
iOS 7

They are supposed to offer 128 gigs of memory too I heard on the 5s.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I currently have a 5, and also still use my 4S from time to time, however upgraded every year since 3G but now waiting for IP6 for bigger screen, if not, will be staying with my IP5

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
A fingerprint lock or a hardware redesign would make it a dead cert for me. If it lacks both of those and looks exactly the same as my 5 though, I'll probably skip it and buy a PS4.

jcpb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
We don't need a 461 ppi display, and we don't need a quad-core processor. iOS is a very sleek and fast OS. It doesn't need all that power like android phones, as android is a mountain of an OS compared to iOS. However, gpu improvements are welcome (I'm excited to have the rogue processors!)

I hope they optimise the swift cores for power, and I hope the add a new GPU, and I hope they add more memory (for the iOS 7 multitasking). I also want them to bring the CPU timer coalescing, and the other battery life improvements from Mavericks into iOS 7.

iPhone 5 user here. You may think its awkward at first, but when I go back the the 3.5" display, it just feels very cramped.
Wait. You said how a very high-density display is not needed, but then say the 3.5" on the 4/4S is very cramped.

That was... contradictory.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
I purposefully left one of the lines on my account open by handing my 4 to my dad last year. This year I'll likely get a white 5S and give my 5 to my mom or dad. My wife and her family are on my account and they all already have 5's. Next year I'll be able to use my upgrade for the 6 and everyone else can do what they want. :)

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I just bought an S4 last Friday. When Apple decides to compete and innovate again, instead of playing catchup, I'll be back. Hopefully the iPhone 6S (2015) will have a bigger (not just narrower) screen, default apps, and more integrated social networks, I'll be back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.