Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ucladave

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
I have an iPhone 4s that is configured to Sprint. I think that the 4s models were able to be used on any of the different carriers as there is a sim card tray on it.

My question is, can I use this phone on T-Mobile? Specifically I am trying to tell if this phone is the same as the one that T-Mobile sells in their stores right now. If it isn't, would I get the same performance out of it or would I be better off selling it and getting an actual T-Mobile branded one?

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
I have an iPhone 4s that is configured to Sprint. I think that the 4s models were able to be used on any of the different carriers as there is a sim card tray on it.

My question is, can I use this phone on T-Mobile? Specifically I am trying to tell if this phone is the same as the one that T-Mobile sells in their stores right now. If it isn't, would I get the same performance out of it or would I be better off selling it and getting an actual T-Mobile branded one?

You can but you'll need a turbo sim and it depends which iOS your iPhone is on to work.

Best bet is to get a T-Mobile branded one.

SoIsays

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2011
OP, you can use it on T-Mobile using a GPP chip found on ebay or amazon. I tested it out on my Verizon unit and it worked. For a few days, I was on T-Mobile in the Washington DC area. The closer I was to Washington DC, the better chance I was able to hook onto a 3G signal (speeds were 4-8mbps dl). Unfortunately, most of the time I was on Edge since I live outside the city. For signal comparison inside a grocery store T-Mobile was 1 bar or less. On Verizon, it was 3 bars. Both would have an edge connection inside that grocery store.

Try it out. If you're not satisfied, just restore back to your Sprint backup.

ucladave

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
OP, you can use it on T-Mobile using a GPP chip found on ebay or amazon. I tested it out on my Verizon unit and it worked. For a few days, I was on T-Mobile in the Washington DC area. The closer I was to Washington DC, the better chance I was able to hook onto a 3G signal (speeds were 4-8mbps dl). Unfortunately, most of the time I was on Edge since I live outside the city. For signal comparison inside a grocery store T-Mobile was 1 bar or less. On Verizon, it was 3 bars. Both would have an edge connection inside that grocery store.

Try it out. If you're not satisfied, just restore back to your Sprint backup.

I am in Los Angeles, and I believe that the T-Mobile branded iPhones get the 4g speeds. I could be wrong.

It sounds like I can use the GPP sim to get it to a T-Mobile signal, but at that point is there a difference between the T-Mobile branded phone and this one? Like does the T-Mobile branded one have different radio receivers? Or would there be no difference between the ul/dl speeds I would get either way?

If there is an advantage to the T-Mobile branded one I might just sell this one and get a new one...

SoIsays

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2011
The difference with your 4S and the the Tmobile iphone is that your phone is one year older and lacks LTE. If you want a newer phone and the LTE speeds, the Tmobile iphone is a better choice.

ucladave

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
The difference with your 4S and the the Tmobile iphone is that your phone is one year older and lacks LTE. If you want a newer phone and the LTE speeds, the Tmobile iphone is a better choice.

So there are no new frequency receivers in the T-Mobile branded one? I know that with some of the older "unlocked" iPhones you were only able to get 3g speeds in certain areas because of the lack of radio frequency capability...is that not the case with the 4s that I have?

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
So there are no new frequency receivers in the T-Mobile branded one? I know that with some of the older "unlocked" iPhones you were only able to get 3g speeds in certain areas because of the lack of radio frequency capability...is that not the case with the 4s that I have?

Even if you had an unlocked 4S or used the GPP interposer on your Sprint 4S you would still be limited to getting 3G only in T-Mobile 1900mhz refarmed areas.

Unofficial map here: http://www.airportal.de

If you want good service on an iPhone with T-Mobile then your best bet is the T-Mobile iPhone 5. It's the only one that supports all of their 3G/4G/LTE frequencies. They're doing a trade in where you can trade in your Sprint 4S and get an iPhone 5 with no money upfront.

ucladave

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
Even if you had an unlocked 4S or used the GPP interposer on your Sprint 4S you would still be limited to getting 3G only in T-Mobile 1900mhz refarmed areas.

Unofficial map here: http://www.airportal.de

If you want good service on an iPhone with T-Mobile then your best bet is the T-Mobile iPhone 5. It's the only one that supports all of their 3G/4G/LTE frequencies. They're doing a trade in where you can trade in your Sprint 4S and get an iPhone 5 with no money upfront.

Oh so there are frequency differences then...

Does the T-Mobile branded 4s not have the same receivers that the 5 has? I actually prefer the 4s over the 5 if at all possible.

ucladave

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
The Tmobile 4S has the same frequency issues.
In order to get 3G on both bands that Tmobile uses is if you get the tmobile i5.

If that is true, it dosent make sense to sell off this one and get the T-Mobile branded one. Can anyone else confirm this?

If that is the case, I'll likely try the GPP option. Are there any special settings I would need to input after using the GPP?

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
If that is true, it dosent make sense to sell off this one and get the T-Mobile branded one. Can anyone else confirm this?

If that is the case, I'll likely try the GPP option. Are there any special settings I would need to input after using the GPP?
You need to sell your sprint iPhone 4 and buy a T-Mobile iPhone 5.

ucladave

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
You need to sell your sprint iPhone 4 and buy a T-Mobile iPhone 5.

I don't want a 5. I mean to ask if there is no advantage to using a T-Mobile branded 4s vs using the 4s I have now and unlocking with GPP.

Never used the GPP before, so I was asking about settings for it...

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
I don't want a 5. I mean to ask if there is no advantage to using a T-Mobile branded 4s vs using the 4s I have now and unlocking with GPP.

Never used the GPP before, so I was asking about settings for it...

T-Mobile does not have its own 4S. People who use 4Ses on T-Mobile brought them from other networks, mostly AT&T. They use refarmed 1900 MHz.

So if you really want a 4S on TMobile, your best bet is to trade yours for an unlocked AT&T one on Craigslist or something.

If you want to have an actual tmobile iPhone, you need to get their 5 or wait for the 5S.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
T-Mobile does not have its own 4S. People who use 4Ses on T-Mobile brought them from other networks, mostly AT&T. They use refarmed 1900 MHz.

So if you really want a 4S on TMobile, your best bet is to trade yours for an unlocked AT&T one on Craigslist or something.

If you want to have an actual tmobile iPhone, you need to get their 5 or wait for the 5S.

T-Mobile does sell the 4S in stores in reframed markets. The only difference from the AT&T model is that it's locked to T-Mobile instead of AT&T. It still doesn't have the AWS bands that the Tmobile 5 does though.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
T-Mobile does sell the 4S in stores in reframed markets. The only difference from the AT&T model is that it's locked to T-Mobile instead of AT&T. It still doesn't have the AWS bands that the Tmobile 5 does though.

Huh. I haven't seen them in my area, and my boyfriend just went through the trouble to unlock his AT&T 4S and switch.

I'm also on Verizon, so I don't get this whole unlocking and switching network thing :p

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Yep, pretty much even if you buy the tmobile 4S or use the one you got you will get the same exact hardware and bands.
So mind as well get the GPP and save yourself some money and time.
I heard the GPP's work fine and they're not that hard to install and use but haven't tried one personally.

pradeepv

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2013

Did some one here try the GPP chip to unlock sprint iphone 4s .I want to unlock sprint iphone 4S and use it on t mobile. Some one who has done this before ,please help me .

Thanks,
Pradeep

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.