Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

This afternoon, a tipster who spoke to 9to5Mac pointed out a new feature in iOS 7's Accessibility menu, which allows iPhone users to control their devices using head movements.

The option can be found in the Switch Control area of the Accessibility menu, which is designed for users who need assistance with physical and motor movements.

ios7headmovements.png
Switch Control allows you to use your iPhone by sequentially highlighting items on the screen that can be activated through an adaptive accessory.
With the feature activated, specific movements can be used to correspond with actions. For example, the setting can be programmed to allow a left head movement to activate a tap, while a right head movement can be programmed to perform to another function. 9to5Mac went hands-on with the feature:
We've tested this ourselves and found it to be quite accurate, but it's quite tedious to control your device this way since it cycles through all of the options on the screen and you move your head when it is bordering around the option you want.

You can also make the left or right head movement act as a home button, start Siri, open Notification Center, open the App Switcher, decrease volume, increase volume, or simply tap.
It is important to note that Switch Control head movements are a beta function and should be used with caution, as the setting disables touch input.

Apple has always had a heavy focus on accessibility, and over the years has worked to provide accessibility options for vision, hearing, motor skills, and learning, turning the iPad and the iPhone into fully featured assistive devices. iOS 7 promises to bring even more accessibility options, further increasing the utility of Apple's devices.

Article Link: New Accessibility Options in iOS 7 Allow iPad or iPhone to Be Controlled with Head Movements

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Apple's iOS 7 has been in the hands of developers for more than two weeks now, but tidbits about the operating system continue to come to light each day. Earlier this week we learned that an iOS 7 API disables Snapchat screenshotting

Who writes these articles? One, do you not know what an API is? Two, your description of that is happening as totally backwards. Correct is:

A change in the implementation of the screenshot feature prevents Snapchat to notice when the user takes a screenshot, which stops a hack used by Snapchat to prevent taking screenshots of photos that the app displays.

Edit: In case anyone is wondering what this post is about, the incorrect text that I complained about has been removed from the article.

Last edited:

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Seems sort of gimmicky really. One of the reasons I dislike the Galaxy S4. Unnecessary software bogging down the phones resources.

anzio

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Innisfil, Ontario, Canada
Seems sort of gimmicky really. One of the reasons I dislike the Galaxy S4. Unnecessary software bogging down the phones resources.

It's an accessibility feature. It's very closed minded of you to think of it as a gimmick. Someone who has a handicap that prevents regular interaction with the phone.

It is not using resources on you.

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
It's not a prominent feature, it's a tool in this case. It won't be for you or me, so that we can move between an email and inbox without touching the screen on a train: it's for someone who doesn't have use, or limited use of their arms/fingers.

They way Samsung advertise it, it's something you'll use all the time. This feature, is for actually being useful for the right person.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Who writes these articles? One, do you not know what an API is? Two, your description of that is happening as totally backwards. Correct is:

A change in the implementation of the screenshot feature prevents Snapchat to notice when the user takes a screenshot, which stops a hack used by Snapchat to prevent taking screenshots of photos that the app displays.

While I do know what an API is and how Snapchat works (I wrote the Snapchat post too), I've opted to remove the part you mentioned as it was superfluous to the post in the first place.

elvetio

macrumors member
May 29, 2012

Maybe you should remember that there are people that lost their members or have some kind of condition that prevents them from using their hands.

Sometimes it feels like these top comments are occupied by people whose only goal is to say something rather than to actually have a decent remark about the article

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Apple has always had a heavy focus on accessibility, and over the years has worked to provide accessibility options for vision, hearing, motor skills, and learning, turning the iPad and the iPhone into fully featured assistive devices. iOS 7 promises to bring even more accessibility options, further increasing the utility of Apple's devices.

Good work. I hope they continue with this in future. I only wish more companies were as committed to helping improve the lives of disabled people.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
While I do know what an API is and how Snapchat works (I wrote the Snapchat post too), I've opted to remove the part you mentioned as it was superfluous to the post in the first place.

So...When people read his post they will say: What is he yapping about? Good move to save face and to make him out as a nut job. It's a win-win. :p

Force332

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2011

Why on earth do people take the time to make a comment but not read the article?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

The stuff that you so cleverly removed from the article indicated that you have only a very vague idea of what an API is. And while I don't know whether you posted an article about Snapchat or not, the description how Snapchat behaviour changed in iOS 7, which you also deleted from the article, was clearly wrong.

Instead of deleting it, you might have just corrected it.

M

Mr.damien

Introducing on iOS7: Stephen Hawking mode.

Alright alright, I am already out...

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
In response to all of the negative criticism, I'll admit I didn't read the last paragraph. However I couldn't help but think of some of the gimmicky features the competition has dreamed up. But in defense of the truly handicapped, I think this would be greatly appreciated, and could prove extremely useful. :cool:

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
Ack i turned this on my mistake and I can't figure out how to navigate my phone. How do I disable it?

I figured it out... I was scared for a bit. It was in a mode where it would scroll through the possible touch zones on the screen one at a time and I had to tap to select the one I wanted. very slow and tedious but I have regained control of my iPhone. :)

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
Whatever, as long as they don't advertise it as a big feature. This is for that tiny percentage of people who can't use a touch screen. Otherwise, it's a gimmick.

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
I figured it out... I was scared for a bit. It was in a mode where it would scroll through the possible touch zones on the screen one at a time and I had to tap to select the one I wanted. very slow and tedious but I have regained control of my iPhone. :)

Unfortunately, I've made the same mistake... I can navigate to the Accessibility section, but can't figure out how to scroll down so that I can attempt to turn this off.

Could you walk me through the steps to disabling this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.