Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cualexander

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2006
Charlotte, NC
I use the Safari reader function all the time in iOS 6 but in iOS 7 there seems to be no way to adjust the font size on the fly anymore unless I'm missing something. I hope they aren't expecting me to go to the settings app to adjust the font size. Seems like a huge functionality loss to me.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I can't find a way to adjust the font size even in the Settings app -- I even turned on all the text related settings under Accessibility, but no change. Fail!

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
I don't know how many people need to say this.

iOS 7 right now is a developer beta, meant for developers to use to test their apps for iOS 7's launch and NOTHING ELSE.

If you're not a developer stop wasting our time. If you are, you can post in the Apple Developer forums all the bugs and issues you have and get actual, real constructive criticism or help.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
Try either Settings>General>Text size or Settings>GeneralAccessibility>Larger text. I don't have my phone in front of me so can't check to see if either works.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Try either Settings>General>Text size or Settings>GeneralAccessibility>Larger text. I don't have my phone in front of me so can't check to see if either works.

I turned on all the text size settings I could find. No dice.

cualexander

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2006
Charlotte, NC

iOS 7 right now is a developer beta, meant for developers to use to test their apps for iOS 7's launch and NOTHING ELSE.

If you're not a developer stop wasting our time. If you are, you can post in the Apple Developer forums all the bugs and issues you have and get actual, real constructive criticism or help.

Then why are you positing in this forum? This iOS 7 forum is rife with speculation because it's not a development forum. Show me one single thread in here talking about code or functions in an API. There's not, because this is a discussion forum meant to discuss iOS 7, which I am doing.

I am just seeing if I was missing something, which obviously I'm not. This setting is missing currently. Hopefully it will be fixed.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
They fix this in Beta 3?

Yes they did, actually! Well, not quite the same as they had it in iOS 6, where Safari Reader has its own font size controls in-app. In beta 3, the font size of Safari Reader is set by the text size in Settings > General > Text Size.

cualexander

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Yes they did, actually! Well, not quite the same as they had it in iOS 6, where Safari Reader has its own font size controls in-app. In beta 3, the font size of Safari Reader is set by the text size in Settings > General > Text Size.

Thanks for the update. That's better than nothing, I still would prefer the ease of the feature in iOS 6 though.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Thanks for the update. That's better than nothing, I still would prefer the ease of the feature in iOS 6 though.

I think the idea is you just set the font size once and then it applies across all apps and system and you don't have to think about it again. Unfortunately it doesn't work so well in reality because for instance, I find myself wanting one font size in iMessage and another font size for Safari Reader.

Riverton

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2012
I think the idea is you just set the font size once and then it applies across all apps and system and you don't have to think about it again. Unfortunately it doesn't work so well in reality because for instance, I find myself wanting one font size in iMessage and another font size for Safari Reader.

I agree with you 100%. I don't want the text in apps like Messages to be enormous, but I prefer very large text within Safari Reader. Here's to hoping Apple gives us that option back via future updates.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Goodness! Someone's on a power trip. Looks like, if anything, you wasted your own time.

Riverton

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2012
What about Beta 6? This issue any better yet? This is a critical issue for me as I use Safari reader all the time.

No. My iPad 3 is on iOS 7 beta 6, and Safari Reader appears to be unchanged. Looks as though this is a decision Apple made on our behalf, not a bug. :mad:

cualexander

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2006
Charlotte, NC
No. My iPad 3 is on iOS 7 beta 6, and Safari Reader appears to be unchanged. Looks as though this is a decision Apple made on our behalf, not a bug. :mad:

Disappointing. Apple is supposed to allow us more control, not the opposite... I may hold off on iOS 7 until absolutely necessary if they are going to go this way.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC

People are going to keep parroting this same mantra until the final 30 seconds before iOS7 is released to the world. And when all the bugs and MIA features we had previously don't magically remedy themselves...?

You guys make it sound like these betas are a shell of the whole OS, and that every broken/missing feature will somehow magically appear or be fixed upon public release.

I'm here to say that ain't happening. There are way too many anomalies, missing things, broken or overlooked bits of functionality, etc. They will never squash them all this late in the game.

iOS7 beta 9 = GM. Beta 10 = 7.1, etc, until iOS7 is FINAL, when it will then be know as iOS8 Beta 1.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
People are going to keep parroting this same mantra until the final 30 seconds before iOS7 is released to the world. And when all the bugs and MIA features we had previously don't magically remedy themselves...?

You guys make it sound like these betas are a shell of the whole OS, and that every broken/missing feature will somehow magically appear or be fixed upon public release.

I'm here to say that ain't happening. There are way too many anomalies, missing things, broken or overlooked bits of functionality, etc. They will never squash them all this late in the game.

iOS7 beta 9 = GM. Beta 10 = 7.1, etc, until iOS7 is FINAL, when it will then be know as iOS8 Beta 1.
At the same time nothing "final" is ever guaranteed or actually is bug/issue free.

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada

Why did you decide to quote an over month old post of mine? Did it make you feel better replying to it even though a month has passed by?

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
Disappointing. Apple is supposed to allow us more control, not the opposite... I may hold off on iOS 7 until absolutely necessary if they are going to go this way.

I too am hoping for them to bring the zoom feature back, but a temporary workaround has been to read articles in landscape.

Since beta 5, we've seen the return of true full screen reading/browsing with safari in landscape mode. Combined with reader functionality, you get large edge to edge text that's easy to read (although I do agree that reading in portrait feels nicer).

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Why did you decide to quote an over month old post of mine? Did it make you feel better replying to it even though a month has passed by?

Lol what's wrong? Feeling like maybe you gave too Apple much credit? Don't get mad at me for your blanket statement that doesn't age well.

Riverton

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2012

This thread was started to discuss the absence of text size adjustment controls within Safari Reader on iOS 7 and NOTHING ELSE.

If you're not going to comment on the topic of Safari Reader within iOS 7, stop wasting our time. If you are, please post real, constructive criticism or help. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.