Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Cannot be more uninterested in this service and I actually think it's a mistake to go the Pandora route. Spotify, Rdio, and Google Play Music All Access are more appealing and more in tune with how a lot of youngsters consume music. I believe Google Play also gives you Radio functionality, while giving you the ability to save songs to playlist for offline listening.

Radio is dead. Let me choose what I want to listen to when I want to listen to it. I'll pay you 10-20 bucks a month for that service.

Aug 26, 2008
It's not going to cost Apple a dime. They have just created a new stream of revenue for their advertising platform and with more purchases at the iTunes stores for actual album sales from listening to the artists its a win/win for Apple and the publishers.

I suppose that is the projection. Was not thinking about the ads because I have iTunes match, so whatever they pay would directly come out of their pocket. Also, I highly doubt iTunes radio is going to convince people to buy more songs on a large scale. I could definitely be wrong but...

Just seems like for most people it's going to be a free music gravy train.

Not my problem or concern, just thought it was interesting it seems so much higher than Pandora.

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
May 25, 2010
Still don't see a point in Apple duplicating what Pandora already does so well.

Also, can someone please take iAd out back and shoot it?

Because it seems to be predicting what I want to listen to better than pandora as well as seems to be a better quality stream.

Time to take pandora out back :rolleyes:

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
...or they lose money on their infrastructure of management, attorneys, staff, studio equipment bills, etc..

To me, this screams that the system is broken. There is too much management between the music and the listeners. Too many people with their hands out, doing nothing but pushing paper across a desk.

I'm not about stealing music, but if there were a better agency for bands to use to get promoted-- Apple would be a good start with iTunes, Radio. Maybe even working with ClearChannel directly (although I have no idea what CC really does, just know they own radio stations, billboards).

Uhg... just makes me sad.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
iTunes Radio is great so far. Unlike Pandora and Slacker, it actually plays music that if you listen to that artist, you'd actually listen to. I haven't had the need to use the skip feature until after like 20 songs or so. That's REALLY going to help set them apart from the others, having that HUGE database of purchases and knowing their audience so well because of it.

People don't want to DISCOVER music, they just want to hear the stuff they like, and these other services don't seem to get that.

Exactly. Also, Pandora's interface is really annoying. I tried using Pandora and hated it. I put in Led Zeppelin and got some weird scream/death metal rock by "Led ****ing" something. They seem to have improved, but I still get the Beatles when I put in Led Zeppelin, which stinks. And their audio quality is worse, right?

iTunes Radio right on my Music app will be great. Couldn't Apple also gather MASSIVE data from Genius and put it into this? It seems like Apple is in the best position to do Internet radio.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
To me, this screams that the system is broken. There is too much management between the music and the listeners. Too many people with their hands out, doing nothing but pushing paper across a desk.

There is a better way. His name is V.G. Varun.

mtbgtr

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2009
A cent? Are you kidding? It takes 7 1/2 plays of a song to make one cent. (.01)
You know how much it takes to make $5,000? 3,846,153 plays.

I recommend you go google what Pink Floyd had to say about Pandora, et all.

I've talked to a couple smaller bands. They are big enough to play venues in most big cities and travel the world non-stop playing. They said they are making no money off their music anymore. It's all about getting out there and playing live and getting gate money as well as getting some extra money from merch they sell at shows.

To the extreme, you can read what Metallica wrote. Basically, they have to tour every year or they lose money on their infrastructure of management, attorneys, staff, studio equipment bills, etc..

It will be interesting to see what happens in the near future as more and more people move to these streaming services or just steal music outright.

If they aren't making money off their studio albums it's their music company ripping then off not a few torrents or some streaming services.

cassiar

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013
Vancouver, BC
I kind of wish apple would really step up and blow away the other services (pandora) and double what they would pay. Steve always spoke about how it's all about the artists and the music. Apple could afford to set a new standard and really show that they value not just the customers but also the artists. My two cents.

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
These royalty rates are interesting. Looks like it could cost Apple a fortune?

Cost Apple? Do you know anything about bussineses?

If anything this will make more money to Apple. People hear a song they like and buy it for $1.29 which is also good for record labels because they get money from that sale.

0.13 cents is $0.0013

Record labels need to play 769,231 songs to make $1,000 dollars.

Last edited:

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
In the beta it won't play song with explicit lyrics. It bleeps them out, very annoying. Hopefully they will put in an option for this.
I would also like to be able to shuffle different stations together like on pandora, can't do that either.

That's most odd, since I've had it swearing like a trooper at me. The 'E' in the screenshot clearly represents 'Explicit Lyrics'.

Attachments

• IMG_0657.PNG
    IMG_0657.PNG
    671.9 KB · Views: 112

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Spotify... Pandora... a million others... is there even room for Apple in this?

I know Apple's "thing" is copying and improving but it's kind of hard to make streaming music any better. Maybe brand name and big, expensive advertising will do their things though.

Also, if those screenshots are from iOS 7, iOS 7 is looking like a weird combination of Metro and the old Blackberry 5/6/7

bluski9

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2012
Does ITunes radio replace the current setup of radio stations under the radio icon in the Appletv or Itunes??

I would hate to lose my favourite radio stations that I currently listen to under the present scheme and most are adfree..

BobbyCat

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Beyond
I've been an Apple fan since 1984, but I'll skip this one :apple:

No way I'm going to pay for listening to music on radio. And if the price is annoying advertising in my ears, then I'd rather avoid it altogether, and keep on supporting independent stations like Radio Paradise at my own pace.

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011

If Mercedes-Benz does so well making cars... Still don't see a point in BMW duplicating what Mercedes-Benz already does so well.

Hahahahahaha.

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
But what's the deal with it only being available in the United States? This stupidity have to stop, there is no reason why customers outside the United States shouldn't be able to use all services like iTunes Radio, iTunes Match and not have all the content available through the iTunes Store.

I know this has something to do with all the goddamn stingy content providers and their filthy business about making various rules for different regions and whatnot, but please for the love of God fix this nonsense once and for all so we don't have to bother with this kind of feature fragmentation and frustration any longer.

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Anyone care to explain how the music industry works these days? How do small independent artists get on itunes or pandora? Surely they're not associated with a major music label, right? And what do major music labels do for artists, why would they want one?

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
But what's the deal with it only being available in the United States? This stupidity have to stop, there is no reason why customers outside the United States shouldn't be able to use all services like iTunes Radio, iTunes Match and not have all the content available through the iTunes Store.

I know this has something to do with all the goddamn stingy content providers and their filthy business about making various rules for different regions and whatnot, but please for the love of God fix this nonsense once and for all so we don't have to bother with this kind of feature fragmentation and frustration any longer.

Stupidity!!?? Strong word buddy, since you have no idea what it takes to stream/play music all over the world, it took Spotify 3 years to launch in the USA, Pandora is only available in United States, New Zealand and Australia.

It took Apple almost a year to make iTunes Radio happen only for the USA, there are contracts, tons of music labels, copyrights, different laws in every country, can you imagine making contracts with every country in a week so you can have iTunes Radio wherever you are.

And you just want the stupidity to be over in one second.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
Cost Apple? Do you know anything about bussineses?

If anything this will make more money to Apple. People hear a song they like and buy it for $1.29 which is also good for record labels because they get money from that sale.

0.13 cents is $0.0013

Record labels need to play 769,231 songs to make $1,000 dollars.

<Insert Verszon Rant>

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010

Because Pandora is having trouble on how to make money and stay in business. Apple on the other hand does not rely on just music for its income has many revenue streams that would help pay for itself.

fortysomegeek

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012
What's odd to me is that Apple is paying higher royalties than competitors. I thought that Apple could leverage deals with the music labels/publishers because of their strong iOS ecosystem and established iTunes presence in the music industry.

The only competitor who has a better deal was Pandora. That was big fluke and the record labels, specifically said they learned their lesson from that mistake.
They didn't think Pandora was going to get as big as they did.

iPadPublisher

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
Or we could all go back to stealing music if you'd like?

"we / all" nothing. I never stole music in the first place. I've always paid for it, regardless of the format it was available on, because its the right thing to do.

----------

Also, I highly doubt iTunes radio is going to convince people to buy more songs on a large scale. I could definitely be wrong but...

Just seems like for most people it's going to be a free music gravy train

You're mostly right about that, but all music discovery platforms do incrementally increase sales, even if just a little bit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.