Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waa1futs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
Which option would you prefer?

- Upgrade to an iPhone 5 right now for $99 (no upgrade fee)

or

- Wait 3 months to pay $236 for the 5s (199 + 36 upgrade fee)

Please explain why you chose the option you did :)

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
I am planning on waiting for the new model. I would like to get it at launch time, but if I don't get it then the Black Friday deals could get me if they are similar to last year.
Regarding the activation fee I have had decent luck getting those waived in the past, but I have heard that has gotten harder. With a handful of lines out of contract the cancellation department will often offer a waived activation fee to keep a customer.

The 4S is holding up very well for me so far.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
:(

C'mon guys, lets say you HAD to chose between those two options (5 now for $99 or wait 3 months to pay $236 for the 5s). What would it be?

Now.

What more can 5S bring?

Any CPU boost unnecessary.
Any LTE boost unnecessary.
Display not changing.

Camera might get a big boost for low light.
Maybe they push a big battery boost? Unlikely.
Fingerprint security rumor.

How much do you put in those last 3? Me, not much

ogremoustro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Im on the same boat. I don't know whether I should get the 5 now or wait and get the new iPhone when it comes out. My 4S is a bit beat up, Sleep button barely works and the speakers sometimes don't work.

fedecape

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2011
Miami, FL
If you feel uncomfortable with your current phone, go for the iP5. As somebody said, you can always sell it later. If you're fine wait and get a new device.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Neither. I love my 4s and will hang on to it until it falls apart.

Very smart decision. I've had every new iPhone including the iP5 I'm currently using. The 4s is far and away the best iPhone overall.

With IOS 7 a new addition to the 5S, it's the perfect time to stick with what we have. There's going to be loads of problems and annoyances to let others suffer with.

Besides the iPhone 6 is sure to be introduced with much fanfare from Apple. That's most likely going to be the iPhone to have.

waa1futs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
Im on the same boat. I don't know whether I should get the 5 now or wait and get the new iPhone when it comes out. My 4S is a bit beat up, Sleep button barely works and the speakers sometimes don't work.

Glad I'm not the only one wrestling with this decision :(

It's a really damn tough one to make. I keep going back and fourth, back and fourth over the last few days. Do I want the 5 for $136 cheaper? Or should I wait the extra time and pay the extra money for the 5s? :confused:

Any more thoughts on the matter?

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
Now.

What more can 5S bring?

Any CPU boost unnecessary.
Any LTE boost unnecessary.
Display not changing.

Camera might get a big boost for low light.
Maybe they push a big battery boost? Unlikely.
Fingerprint security rumor.

How much do you put in those last 3? Me, not much

This says it all.

How much of a boost do you think the 5S will get? Probably not enough to suffer through the phone you currently have. I don't even understand why people say the 4S is better than the 5. The 5 is AMAZING. So much thinner and lighter and faster and just plain better.

ogremoustro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
This says it all.

How much of a boost do you think the 5S will get? Probably not enough to suffer through the phone you currently have. I don't even understand why people say the 4S is better than the 5. The 5 is AMAZING. So much thinner and lighter and faster and just plain better.

Yeah, you're right. I've decided I'll get the 5 now.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
I think i'll wait for the 5s or 6, but I won't get it until at least 2 months after release. I'm not waiting in some line in the morning.

sam2428

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
Houston, TX
4S owner here and I contemplated the same thing. At the end of the day I'd rather wait and see what the 5S has to offer when it is officially announced and then make a decision.

You don't want to pull the trigger now and regret it later... The $99 dollar deal will still be there.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
How's that phone?

So far so good. Seems like using a regular S4, but a little more weight/heft and grip to it (a good thing). Camera seems to take pictures that are just as nice... just with less pixels (13MP vs. the Active's 8MP). The LCD screen is a helluva lot better in sunlight than the regular GS4's AMOLED.

I know the phone is water poof, but I am not going to go dunking it like some people because if the charge door isn't properly closed or the batter cover properly attached, water can get inside and the warranty can still be voided. I will just utilize the "water proof-ness" and "dust proof-ness" once our Arizona monsoon rain/dust storms get going for the summer. Also useful when I take my getaways to western Washington state too.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Which option would you prefer?

- Upgrade to an iPhone 5 right now for $99 (no upgrade fee)

or

- Wait 3 months to pay $236 for the 5s (199 + 36 upgrade fee)

Please explain why you chose the option you did :)

The fact that you're asking strangers means its not a need, but a want. People who want now will want later. So I say wait for the 5S. Getting the 5 today will make you happy for a couple months, but miserable once the 5S is announced.

Problem solved. Next!

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
What would you rather do: iPhone 5 right now for $99 or wait and pay $236 for...

Glad I'm not the only one wrestling with this decision :(

It's a really damn tough one to make. I keep going back and fourth, back and fourth over the last few days. Do I want the 5 for $136 cheaper? Or should I wait the extra time and pay the extra money for the 5s? :confused:

Any more thoughts on the matter?

I have 5. Girlfriend and others have 4S.

Trust me, theres not much difference,

9mbps HSPA+ to 50mbps LTE sounds big, but when using it? Maps, webpages, meh.
camera is about the same
Same pixel density
Both dual core, and 4S doesn't struggle with any apps... So.... Meh

My 5 looks great on paper. And it was a great upgrade from a 4: but compared to daily use on a 4S... Meh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.