Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SvP

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2009
the NIKE logo only cost $35, they appear to have done quite well despite this ...

This thread has completely gone off on a tangent that has nothing to do with my op. Search for the "designers are snotty" thread, if anyone wants to carry on with this topic

Thanks

It's BS!.
Don't throw in a crappy misinformed argument and then argue the thread has gone off on a tangent. It's like hitting someone and then arguing violence is bad.

A "lucky" idea with is paid $35 dollars for is great, but not anywhere near a proper comparison to ripping off hard working people:

12 years later in 1983, Davidson got an invitation to lunch by Nike where Knight surprised her with a gold Swoosh ring embedded with diamond and an envelope containing Nike stock. How much Nike stock remains a secret between Knight and her, but the stock has split three times since she received it!

wittejoe

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2011
Thanks for dragging this back up. You're right, brain surgery is totally the same thing.

Really a bad analogy. no one has ever died from graphic design, that i know of. Also, design is not an exact science, it's a matter of opinion (ie, art). When Scott Stratten, PandoDaily, Terry Jones and other major marketing experts, tech giants and entrepreneurial experts endorse crowdsourcing and the results... you know it works.

Option A: Pay $300 and get 100 concepts, 25% are good= 25 good concepts.
Optoin B: Pay $300 and get 3 concpets

Bottom line, our Net Promoter Score is over 70, which puts us above Apple and Amazon. Why? Because it works and our clients are thrilled.

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2012
Submitting to these design sites is really like playing the lottery (or playing bingo). You could be Paul Rand and still not win the prize money. If you have the time to gamble and want to give it a chance, or if you're looking to expand your portfolio, then go for it. But, if you want to develop a high quality portfolio, then you need to follow the standard design process. Meet with the client to begin to understand their needs, do your research, ask the client more questions, do more research, begin sketching, etc.

And to answer your original question, no I have not participated in these design contests. But, I will admit that I have been tempted to give it a try in the past.

I also bought one lottery ticket a couple weeks ago...

----------

Really a bad analogy. no one has ever died from graphic design, that i know of. Also, design is not an exact science, it's a matter of opinion (ie, art). When Scott Stratten, PandoDaily, Terry Jones and other major marketing experts, tech giants and entrepreneurial experts endorse crowdsourcing and the results... you know it works.

Option A: Pay $300 and get 100 concepts, 25% are good= 25 good concepts.
Optoin B: Pay $300 and get 3 concpets

Bottom line, our Net Promoter Score is over 70, which puts us above Apple and Amazon. Why? Because it works and our clients are thrilled.

More is not always better. You only need one great logo. You will never receive the quality of work from this site, as you would from an experienced professional designer.

How many globally recognizable logos have been created and sold on the site?

----------

Thanks for dragging this back up. You're right, brain surgery is totally the same thing.

You get what you pay for.

----------

the NIKE logo only cost $35, they appear to have done quite well despite this ...

And I'm sure that countless hours were spent on concept sketches and designing the logo. The price you pay for a logo doesn't matter though. Are you implying that if I design a logo for you for free that the logo is then worthless?

freespiritwenz

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2013
Seems like quite an old post but interesting debate & thus I 1 2 add in my 2cents too. :)
- I named mycroburst supporter (MBS); Anti-(A-MB) & co-founder (MB)

1st of all, for Hermes Monster (MBS) when u started this thread, u seek opinions fro all but yet u became argumentative wen most doesn't sing with u. We all come fro diff BG; diff countries; newbies or experienced but coming tgt here, I believed all of us wanted to learn fro each other or give the best advices (be it historical detours, hicups & experiences). What I believed is to always learn/listen humbly, whether u use it or not is up to ur own discretion.
Every designer is unique (stubborn too), who believe they r right(at all times) & that is exactly what makes us special. The creators & not followers....We tell the clients what is best for them based on the researches we did, experiences (market/public response) & stick with our own principals though we try to customize as much as clients need but......still u r the designer & not the client, pls dun get dictated fro how it goes endpoint. Anyway we have all diff standpoints.

MBS: Understand their concerns as they take it as a platform to start, to experiment & challenge themselves. As always, it is ur self worth. If you feel that putting in 60hrs for a $50 job, u felt good cos u learn sth along the way & u felt satisfied with urself, the design & $, so stick with what makes u feel is right cos is ur time & not others. So what if u have to design 100 to get the basic 20designs pay-out of a free-lancer charges, so long as u deem is worth it. When u design more than 2000 & think is time to up ur worth, then u can always change, no obligations. (Btw, isn't it frustrating if an engineering student came up & said to u: Hey, i started learning illustrator recently, i think i can design now, might b just as good as u).

A-MB: Yes it is totally frustrating & de-value us somehow or rather. (I'm totally with ur, *wink*) Juz like there's always ppl who buy authentic Gucci & others who buy fake & claim classy (ppl here meant customers). So there are still co & also clients that will appreciate the quality work, the effort & details that we put in. But thinking of the new designers, is scary to face the market with or without mentors. Ur know how demanding clients can be.....& for them without proper channels (contacts), how to market themselves without exisitng clientele. Still must eat or pay bills, so i reckon no choice. Without the extensive portfolio that most have here, is difficult to even get referrals, let alone be known.

MB: FOR marketing perspectives, it is definitely good! Cos u r looking at the customers' perspectives when they have more choices & doesn't have to pay more for revisions. But u cannot claim that it is for the benefits of the designers. Cos u have never come in as the angle for designers but you need them. Without them, the sites can't survive. Yes it will be there to stay & I might also design when I'm bored or desperate, u r not wrong either as all these are consenting designers. And if you do want to fight for a balance (as u claim) now or future, for both designers & clients, what is ur directions? Clients perspective mostly or? Basic for designers - give up their full copy rights on logo(as stated in website), can they even publish as their work in their portfolio?

Last but not least, for newbies like me, the exposure is out there, how u seek exposure is how u market urself. The internet makes it so easy nowadays with twitter, behance, AIGA etc.... dun compromise too much bcos of the GIANT out there, ur vision & passion is what led u to continue, grow on it.

*i'm forever & will always be a newbie cos everyday, there is sth new to learn fro someone, something or somewhere* (sometimes I think I might b more of a writer than designer.....:eek:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.