Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Dear Apple,

Please give me more options for using cellular data! I would like to use cellular data for iTunes Radio, but NOT automatic updates. I do NOT have unlimited data and cannot be downloading apps/app updates, ibooks and such, but WOULD like to be able to use cellular data for iTunes Radio ALONE!!!!

The switch in iOS 7 b2 (under settings-itunes & app stores):

(button): "Use Cellular Data" (on/off)
"Use cellular network for automatic downloads, iTunes Match, and iTunes Radio." (keyword: AND)

So, by turning this on, I can use iTunes Radio on the road, but, it will also automatically download updates without my knowing it. I will burn through my data plan way too fast!! I'll have to stick to Pandora if they do not fix this by the time iOS 7 is GM. This is a MUST FIX ISSUE!

(I seem to have a bug where I turn off automatic download for updates, but the switch gets turned back on without my knowing, I assume when I use cell data for iTunes Radio...I drive listening to music, later I look in my notifications and it tells me how many apps it updated!!:confused::mad::mad:)

ALSO: Apple: if you want me to use iTunes Radio the way I use Pandora (very often), you will also need to add the ability to "Shuffle" stations the way Pandora does. Thanks! :apple:

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
Dear Apple,

Please give me more options for using cellular data! I would like to use cellular data for iTunes Radio, but NOT automatic updates. I do NOT have unlimited data and cannot be downloading apps/app updates, ibooks and such, but WOULD like to be able to use cellular data for iTunes Radio ALONE!!!!

"Use cellular network for automatic downloads, iTunes Match, and iTunes Radio." (keyword: AND)

So, by turning this on, I can use iTunes Radio on the road, but, it will also automatically download updates without my knowing it. I will burn through my data plan way too fast!! I'll have to stick to Pandora if they do not fix this by the time iOS 7 is GM. This is a MUST FIX ISSUE!

(I seem to have a bug where I turn off automatic download for updates, but the switch gets turned back on without my knowing, I assume when I use cell data for iTunes Radio...I drive listening to music, later I look in my notifications and it tells me how many apps it updated!!:confused::mad::mad:)

ALSO: Apple: if you want me to use iTunes Radio the way I use Pandora (very often), you will also need to add the ability to "Shuffle" stations the way Pandora does. Thanks! :apple:
Why are you posting this here? You can just submit this through their bug submission page >_>

benji888

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Why are you posting this here? You can just submit this through their bug submission page >_>

Mostly posting here to let others know, in case others have unlimited data plans and don't notice what's happening.

maybe I'm not a developer, but, if apple employees get to try out iOS 7 beta, why not anyone that wants to?

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
Dear consumers,

Research before you buy.

Sincerely,

Everyone who works in anything retail/customer service related.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Dear User:
When you write, "Dear Apple," you aren't actually contacting Apple.

Now, I can use cellular for the radio and turned off automatic updates. What is the issue? Am I special or something?

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Dear Apple,

Settings -> Cellular

Scroll to: Use cellular data for: and turn App Store off.

Also the App Store has a limit for App sizes to be downloaded off WiFi (it's like 10 or 25mb or something)

benji888

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Dear consumers,

Research before you buy.

Sincerely,

Everyone who works in anything retail/customer service related.

? this has nothing to do with anything. iOS 7 is in beta. If you're a troll, please leave, tired of reading all the B.S. not related to thread posts in these forums. Seriously.

----------

Dear User:
When you write, "Dear Apple," you aren't actually contacting Apple.

Ok, so, I'm a dufus, I thought maybe somebody at apple reads some of the forums, plus, I would submit a bug report, but, not a developer (there I said it) so I can't.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
United States
...Now, I can use cellular for the radio and turned off automatic updates. What is the issue? Am I special or something?

If you had read my post, you would know that I DO that, but it still downloads updates!

Settings -> Cellular

Scroll to: Use cellular data for: and turn App Store off.

Also the App Store has a limit for App sizes to be downloaded off WiFi (it's like 10 or 25mb or something)

That would be iOS 6, this is the iOS 7 section of MacRumors forums.
___

This is how it looks at the moment (bottom of that section):
IMG_2175_zps18f63ece.png

I am at home now, but, when I was trying out iTunes Radio, it was set like this, but, later, I saw that it had downloaded updates while I was out, the switch for "updates" was turned on, even though I had turned it off previously.

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
? this has nothing to do with anything. iOS 7 is in beta. If you're a troll, please leave, tired of reading all the B.S. not related to thread posts in these forums. Seriously.

It has everything to do with everything. You come into a forum that discusses the iOS 7 beta and make a complaint post addressed to Apple about how you don't like that using radio over cellular data uses your data plan. You also feel the need to warn us about it?

benji888

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
United States
It has everything to do with everything. You come into a forum that discusses the iOS 7 beta and make a complaint post addressed to Apple about how you don't like that using radio over cellular data uses your data plan. You also feel the need to warn us about it?

does everyone just read the first paragraph???

the warning is that, even though it was set NOT to download Updates (App Updates), it was downloading updates over my cell data connection WITHOUT MY KNOWLEDGE!!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Sure, lets other users know about this too. Seems like as part of the research you mentioned that users should do, another user could come across a thread like this and find the information new and/or useful to them.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
The problem isnt iOS. The problem is Carriers think a 2GB minimum data plan is good enough for a smartphone.

My buddy got a new iphone through T-Mobile and blew past his 2GB mark in a few days and got throttled with crappy 3G speeds for the rest of the month.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
United States
The problem isnt iOS. The problem is Carriers think a 2GB minimum data plan is good enough for a smartphone.

My buddy got a new iphone through T-Mobile and blew past his 2GB mark in a few days and got throttled with crappy 3G speeds for the rest of the month.

I partly disagree, I don't think it is at all necessary to download app updates while I am not at home, some of these can be quite large, I don't want my phone doing this when I'm not on wifi. If data amount wasn't an issue, I still would not have updates downloaded when not on wifi, it just isn't necessary, and I don't want that downloading going on in the background when I'm trying to do something else.

I do agree what you say about the carriers though. I don't see how, in this day & age, it matters how much data one streams, it's the access and speed we (or the carriers) are paying for, is it not? But, let's save this for another thread, please! Thanks!

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
I partly disagree, I don't think it is at all necessary to download app updates while I am not at home, some of these can be quite large, I don't want my phone doing this when I'm not on wifi. If data amount wasn't an issue, I still would not have updates downloaded when not on wifi, it just isn't necessary, and I don't want that downloading going on in the background when I'm trying to do something else.

I do agree what you say about the carriers though. I don't see how, in this day & age, it matters how much data one streams, it's the access and speed we (or the carriers) are paying for, is it not? But, let's save this for another thread, please! Thanks!

Are you not able to go to Settings > Cellular and disable App Store? The option is there for me.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

App downloads over cellular are limited to 50MB. unless you're auto-updating tons of apps every day I don't quite see this as too much of a problem It's not like you are updating a 1GB game over cellular.

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
App downloads over cellular are limited to 50MB. unless you're auto-updating tons of apps every day I don't quite see this as too much of a problem It's not like you are updating a 1GB game over cellular.

Still, 50MB a day from just app updates would eat up a good chunk of your 2GB data plan. My mom has a 300MB plan from AT&T and this would kill that. She normally averages 175-220MB a month without it. 2 App updates could cause her to go over her average.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
OP your title isn't really related to your post which may be part of the confusion. Also, you have the controls you need, it's just that one of them is apparently broken in your beta. Apple knows this and shouting in the forum is going to get you, well, the responses you're getting.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
United States
OP your title isn't really related to your post which may be part of the confusion. Also, you have the controls you need, it's just that one of them is apparently broken in your beta. Apple knows this and shouting in the forum is going to get you, well, the responses you're getting.

My post was trying to inform people that you may end up using more data than you intend if you use itunes radio. (app updates may download themselves in the background without prompting you).

I want to have a separate control just for iTunes Radio, (or iTunes Radio & Match), why should this option affect app updates? It should be entirely separate. (see pic posted previously, the switch is to enable cell data for iTunes Radio, Match and (not or) Updates)

That is what my post is about, so I don't see a problem with my title.

As far as shouting, I have not been shouting, but it is frustrating to have to repeat myself because, people (possibly honestly trying to be helpful), only read the first sentence or paragraph (or a post within the thread) and tell me to do something I already did, which was stated in the original post.

Also, in the hopes to not incriminate myself, I am not a developer. I see no reason why anyone that wants to try a beta shouldn't be able to, especially since apple said employees could get it if they wanted to. (of course, one must realize it is not supported yet as it is not the released version yet, so you won't have apple support, which is likely why they don't do it without a dev. account). (This is my first time working with a beta iOS, though I did jailbreak a previous iphone). So, that is why I posted "Dear Apple..." as I do not have a way to report a bug to apple.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
United States

That could add up quickly, as apps are updated daily, I had about a dozen apps update automatically that day, some on cellular data, some maybe on wifi. (as I said, I turned that function off, but later checked it and it was turned back on). Without app updates, I sometimes get very close to my data plan limit. Also, updates are probably more frequent right now as developers are getting their apps ready for iOS 7.

Also, I used pandora a lot more than itunes radio, since putting ios 7 on my phone, I looked at app cellular usage and it shows more data used for itunes radio, so, it would seem to use more data, but this is not long term enough to know for sure. I also have pandora setting for "high quality" turned off.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
That could add up quickly, as apps are updated daily, I had about a dozen apps update automatically that day, some on cellular data, some maybe on wifi. (as I said, I turned that function off, but later checked it and it was turned back on). Without app updates, I sometimes get very close to my data plan limit. Also, updates are probably more frequent right now as developers are getting their apps ready for iOS 7.

Also, I used pandora a lot more than itunes radio, since putting ios 7 on my phone, I looked at app cellular usage and it shows more data used for itunes radio, so, it would seem to use more data, but this is not long term enough to know for sure. I also have pandora setting for "high quality" turned off.

I guess we need a "your experience may vary" clause on this. The apps I have installed barely get an update once every few months.

aimee.elizabeth

Cancelled
Sep 28, 2012
Dear Apple,

Someone here mentioned earlier about turning off cellular for App Store, and I think you misunderstood him. If you go into Cellular option right under Bluetooth, then scroll down, there are many apps listed where you can individually select which apps are allowed to use Cellular data, and which aren't. The App store is one of those along with iTunes and Music app. So I think even if your phone somehow randomly turns the automatic downloads on, it'll only do so in Wifi if you toggle that option under Cellular off.

I included a picture.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    176 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
does everyone just read the first paragraph???

the warning is that, even though it was set NOT to download Updates (App Updates), it was downloading updates over my cell data connection WITHOUT MY KNOWLEDGE!!

This DOES NOT happen to me. That is what I'm saying.
I have the same setup and I DO NOT experience what you experience. There is this sensational and misleading title and then you're having an issue that others do not. I'm not sure why, but it doesn't happen to me, that's for sure.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Someone here mentioned earlier about turning off cellular for App Store, and I think you misunderstood him. If you go into Cellular option right under Bluetooth, then scroll down, there are many apps listed where you can individually select which apps are allowed to use Cellular data, and which aren't. The App store is one of those along with iTunes and Music app. So I think even if your phone somehow randomly turns the automatic downloads on, it'll only do so in Wifi if you toggle that option under Cellular off.

I included a picture.

Thanks for this post. That picture helped me restrict updates to wifi which is ace!

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
Not to be condescending (for lack of a better word) or anything but isn't this to be expected? I wouldn't have expected to be any different from any other streaming mobile service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.