Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
I sure would like to know when anytime an issue dealing with a piece of software installed on the Mac that it's automatically the Mac's problem? Are developers so perfect that there's absolutely no way that they are at fault? How come it's only Photoshop and not any software that comes preinstalled on the Mac? Gotta love Adobe, it's always Apple's fault. I do suggest to some of the people that are already set to believe it's the Macbook Air's fault to please open your eyes?

It only happens on this years Air. So it is either software (drivers), libraries or hardware. Frankly in some cases it could be both hardware and software.

Think about it this way, if it was an Adobe bug that is this specific why doesn't it show up on other hardware. By the way I'm not defending Adobe here because I like their software or marketing, but rather this really doesn't appear to be a developer issue.

----------

This is why I comment; to bring balance to the unreasonable assumptions that every bit of software can realistically be tested to perfection. It can't be now, never has been and likely won't be for many more decades.

I've seen more than a couple posts about Apples Quality Control slipping but this is garbage. Apple has had issues with software since its inception, that is why we get Mac OS updates with bug fixes security enhancements and other tweaks.

So we agree here and I have to thank you for bringing some balance to this thread. Apparently people have no clue that software isn't perfect here. Further it looks like many see Apples support systems as a last resort not the first place to go to resolve a problem.

News Flash electronic products, or any consumer products for that matter have duds. Hell, even some of the oranges I buy there's bound to be one or two in the lot that are tasteless. The article did mention it was a small group of people experiencing the said problem. Why are people even commenting on this article? Wait, did I just comment on this article? :p

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
A new product like this will have more bugs than something that has had time to gel in the publics hands.

Other companies deal with this by having "beta testing" - so that volunteers find the bugs rather than people who just bought a new Apple.

You'd think that by now Apple would have heard about "beta testing".

Steve is dead. The idea that every new system has to be a surprise should die too.

kahkityoong

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Happens on my 13" MBA when I use Photoshop CS 5
Also with Photoshop CC.
But it stopped with CC after the latest update. So I'm curious about what they did with this latest update that fixed the problem.

musicmanalex1

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2012
New York State, USA
Photoshop is not the only problem!

I also have this problem on my Air but not with Photoshop, but with Virtual Machines. I am emulating Windows 8.1 using VMWare and I have flickering as well. Even though it is not as crazy as this it is still present and since I payed about $1,532 for this thing I want it fixed!

plasticsman

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012
Happens on my 13" MBA when I use Photoshop CS 5
Also with Photoshop CC.
But it stopped with CC after the latest update. So I'm curious about what they did with this latest update that fixed the problem.

I thought it was fixed after that update too but then I restarted the machine, loaded it up again and the problem continued. It seems to be inconsistent for some though for me its pretty constant..

NotHappyUser

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2013
I've never paid attention to this sort of stuff and have never been jumpy about buying an Apple product. Never, in my over 30 years of using Apple products have I EVER experienced any of the glitches reported by that ethereal "some users" crowd. The instantaneous nature of the Internet these days makes stuff like this look common when it is not.:confused:

Hi, I'm "some users", and I bought a faulty 2013 Macbook Air. That's two defective Macbooks in a row now. Try picking one up yourself if you want to join our ranks, it's not too hard these days. Apple's "quality control" is getting worse by the day.

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
Am I the only one that thinks it's amazing that an AIR can even run a full version of photoshop?

Seems like just yesterday we were blown away that Jobs could fit one in an envelope, now we expect it to handle high end graphics applications.

When Apple can't get it right, try to defend and justify Apple...So typical:rolleyes:

toneLA

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2013
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi all,

I decided to join the forum just so I'd be able to reply to that particular thread.

I just bought an Air that too, displayed the flickering issue using Photoshop CC. Reading the news on the front page earlier today, I downloaded the free trial through Creative Cloud and decided to give it a go.

I was instantly able to reproduce the issue with bigger brushes above 450px. Trying to determine whether my machine was from what has been nicknamed a 'bad batch', I spent the entire day going from Apple Store to Apple Store around LA and downloaded on every Haswell Air, PS CC.

EVERY machine I tested instantly showed the same issue.

Makes you wonder whether the so-called Adobe staff member Chris Cox, deliberately tries to sabotage Apple saying they can't reproduce the issue in house. I was successfully able to do it myself with 5 machines total in less than 2 hours.

Another interesting thing happened later when Adobe pushed a random update : the problem is now totally fixed. Funny detail, when CC prompts you to update PS, in the description field, it only shows 'bug fixes and camera compatibility something.' They are obviously too proud to acknowledge that the mistake was on their end and not Apple's.

I find the way that Chris Cox (who's nothing more than a condescending prick) handled the whole thing on their forums completely lame. Instead of blaming Apple, when clearly he's no software engineer (probably a customer service rep), why not taking a minute to tell the truth and let people know that they are investigating the issue instead of jumping to ridiculous conclusions, making everyone fear that the $1.5K machine is due for a return because 'it's clearly hardware', when at the end of the day 'it's clearly ****** software.' I find that particularly irritating but very consistent with what they are known to provide us customers when something they release goes wrong.

So yes, your computers are FINE. You need to restart after the first PS install, reopen CC, check for updates, install, reboot and you're good to go.

I'm on the same boat as you are - I thought I was gonna have to return my laptop in order to get another one. It's a BTO i7 maxed out and I didn't like the idea to have to wait for another 2 weeks total before I could enjoy what I had originally paid for. But after a bit of research and a few tries, I was able to get rid of the problem entirely. I invite you to do the same and take what's on MR's front page with a grain of salt. Lets not even mention Adobe's support pages.

Hope this helps!

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
Hi, can anyone confirm, that updating to Mavericks solves the problem? in that case, that would definitely be SW issue and that means it will be solved sooner or later... so, anyone?:)

toneLA

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2013
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi, can anyone confirm, that updating to Mavericks solves the problem? in that case, that would definitely be SW issue and that means it will be solved sooner or later... so, anyone?:)

Read my post above. Update PS itself.

----------

They've got one week to fix it. After that it's goodbye haswell hello refurb ivy bridge

Update PS itself. No need to go back to Ivy Bridge. Read my post above.

toneLA

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2013
Beverly Hills, CA
No thanks. I don't feel like paying ransom money to the Adobe CC when CS5 suffices.

Oh I'm sorry - I thought you were a PS-CC user. If they've corrected the issue so quickly on PS-CC, you can be sure the remaining portfolio will follow. But at least it makes me feel a lot better to have proof that this isn't hardware related like they want us to believe.

dreamora

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2011
My new MBA did also flicker, but after my flicker (20mins in setting it up), the screen went black.
After a force reboot it worked for another 10 mins and then again gone.
that repeated 2 or 3 times and then it didn't boot up anymore.

Apple just yesterday shipped its hardware replacement from CHN and I have high hopes that it won't repeat the issue. On the other hand, I got what you deserve as 1st wave apple buyer, a device that has a 50/50 chance of going to hell

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
only photoshop ? strange its only due to one app when using a particular tool.

No wonder why Apple can't reproduce it....... If you think this is hash, its like any company.

If no one can reduce the problem, they ignore it...... What else can you do, even with details, and if it still doesn't happen, then ignore is the only option.

This may be one of those times.....

kahkityoong

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Oh I'm sorry - I thought you were a PS-CC user. If they've corrected the issue so quickly on PS-CC, you can be sure the remaining portfolio will follow. But at least it makes me feel a lot better to have proof that this isn't hardware related like they want us to believe.

I used a trial version of CC to see if the problem went away which it did after the update. Strangely I haven't been able to reproduce the flickering on CS5 since installing the trial CC and its update.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
It only happens on this years Air. So it is either software (drivers), libraries or hardware. Frankly in some cases it could be both hardware and software.

Think about it this way, if it was an Adobe bug that is this specific why doesn't it show up on other hardware. By the way I'm not defending Adobe here because I like their software or marketing, but rather this really doesn't appear to be a developer issue.

----------

This is why I comment; to bring balance to the unreasonable assumptions that every bit of software can realistically be tested to perfection. It can't be now, never has been and likely won't be for many more decades.

I've seen more than a couple posts about Apples Quality Control slipping but this is garbage. Apple has had issues with software since its inception, that is why we get Mac OS updates with bug fixes security enhancements and other tweaks.

So we agree here and I have to thank you for bringing some balance to this thread. Apparently people have no clue that software isn't perfect here. Further it looks like many see Apples support systems as a last resort not the first place to go to resolve a problem.

Very well written and I couldn't agree more. Apple most certainly hasn't been perfect over the years.

locust76

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2009
Strobe light edition

untz untz untz untz untz untz untz breakdown!

untz untz untz untz untz untz untz I'm over heatin'

Had to think of this guy
NEC44591-Borderlands-ClapTrap_3-320-640-240-480.png

Nik

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2007
Germany
Have you taken the machine to an Apple store or in other ways tried to contact Apple about the problem yourself. Frankly rushing to a forum over a broken laptop isn't the most productive way to a fix.

First off you would need to know if it is a hardware or software issue. Some of what I've seen seems to indicate a hardware issue. That doesn't completely rule out drivers though.

Beyond that you can hang around forums and feed your concerns or you can do something about it. Talk to Apple! Further there is a very high likely hood that you aren't even discussing the same problems when you converse with a bunch of random forum members.

No it shouldn't. At the very least you need to get this problem on record with Apple because honestly if the coming driver updates don't fix it you will want to have the hardware replaced. At least one of the videos I've seen leads me to suspect hardware but you really never know.

----------

So have you taken it back to Apple for replacement, examination or at least get the problem on record? Seriously, if you are having problems why are you posting here?

Who are you to judge anyone on this?
The whole point in posting to a forum is to get other people to examine for theirselves if they have the same problem in Photoshop. This way more people report the problem to Apple and it gets resolved faster!
What is wrong with posting an exact explanation of the problem so everyone can take a look if they can reproduce it?
BTW what I do with my time is none of your concern.

Apple is closely watching what is happening in forums and social media. The more people talk about it the better. I made the video immediately after seeing a news post about it. Apple Care was not reachable at 1am in the morning (EST).

daviddth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2009
Australia
Kinda unsure why this is considered front page news. The amount of people with a 2013 Air (announced just days ago) using Photoshop might be around the 500-600 mark.

I'm one of them then :)

i7 version of the 13" 2013 Air, with CS5 installed. I have not noted the issue, but have not used the brushes in Photoshop yet, so will have to do that to test... I usually use the PC at home for Graphics work, and the Air is for portability

MacJman

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2013
I have an i7 version, I see the problem with VMware 5.0.3 and Windows 7. It's only the bottom half of the screen that is affected and it appears to be worse when using Outlook 2010. Closing outlook the problem appears to go away. I stopped using Outlook in Windows for now until a software fix is available from Apple or VMware so I am not entirely sure if it is just Outlook or unrelated. But it definitely only happens when the virtual machine is in focus. If the virtual machine is out of focus it stops for the duration until the virtual machine is back on top.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.