Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nowhereelse.fr shares [Google translation] a pair of photos of what may be the rear shell of Apple's rumored lower-cost plastic iPhone. While the site acknowledges that the part could simply be a Chinese clone of an iPhone 5 rear shell, certain features such as a round rear microphone hole and rounded rear edges are consistent with previous claims for the lower-cost iPhone, including leaked design drawings from a case maker.

iphone_green_plastic.jpg
Apple has been said to be planning to release the lower-cost iPhone later this year in an array of colors, with one report claiming that Apple would be using essentially the same colors as found in the company's line of iPhone 4/4S bumpers, although that report indicated that green appeared to have been excluded from the set. This green rear shell is indeed fairly close in color to the green iPhone bumper.

Update 10:03 PM: Nowhereelse.fr has spotted two more photos [Google translation] showing the same part also in yellow and red.

iphone_plastic_yellow_red_green_1.jpg
iphone_plastic_yellow_red_green_2.jpg

Article Link: Possible Photos of Plastic Rear Shell from Apple's Lower-Cost iPhone [Updated]

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Yay for rounded edges, this might convince me to back to iPhones if it carries the same specs as the iPhone 5.

Kohkane

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008
If it had the same specs (or slightly better) than the iPhone 5, I would be all over a colorful iPhone.

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
Actually looks kinda cool, but the plastic looks wayyyy too thick.
Knowing apple it'll come with a monochrome screen. Why have a colour screen when you have a colourful phone!

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
I'm liking this a lot. Recently sold iphone 5 since it was so fragile.

Edit: Let me clarify. My 3GS and 4s iPhones held up way better than the 5 did. My 5 bent just from having back pocket. I was able to bend back. Marks all over edges were also present when trying to be extremely careful. I don't think aluminum was the right choice on this device.

Last edited:

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
I'm liking this a lot. Recently sold iphone 5 since it was so fragile.

Plastic is more fragile than metal.

Sorry, I've been informed by the Plastics Industry Council that the statement I made above is not true. Plastic is stronger than metal.

Last edited:

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2012
honestly i think the color looks awful then again i have the navy blue/green otterbox defender on my iphone 5 and i think it looks magnificent, but anyway i know a lot of people who would absolutely love to buy a green phone, two right off the bat, my sister and my girlfriend without hesitation

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.