Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is the ios7 announcement an important factor in your next upgrade?

• No, I am planning to stick with iPhone no matter what.

Votes: 65 52.4%
  • Yes, ios7 and/or the 5S design better impress, or I'm leaving the iPhone behind.

Votes: 30 24.2%
  • Definitely trying a new system (andriod, windows phone, etc)

Votes: 20 16.1%
  • Not planning an upgrade

Votes: 9 7.3%

• Total voters

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
I guess it depends on when what comes out.

Right now I have an iPhone 4 (Verizon) so its been about 1.5 years. Hopefully iPhone 5S and Nexus 5 come out around the same time.

If I were to go Android I want to go stock, I dislike Touchwiz or Sense.

Two main barriers from me getting an Android phone are:
1) I'm somewhat invested in iOS ecosystem
2) iPhone is on Verizon on Day 1, I know lots of Android phones which carriers control and stuff. its annoying

Both the HTC One and S4 Google Editions (pure Android) are available on Google Play right now shipping in two weeks. No Sense or Touchwiz. The 32GB is an especially good deal at $599 compared to the S4 and iPhone 5 which are $600+ for only 16GB.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Both the HTC One and S4 Google Editions (pure Android) are available on Google Play right now shipping in two weeks. No Sense or Touchwiz. The 32GB is an especially good deal at $599 compared to the S4 and iPhone 5 which are $600+ for only 16GB.

That's the problem, its $600 unlocked.

I go by Verizon with 2 year contract.

Yes I do know all that 'you actually save more money' but I'm also on a family plan and Verizon is actually good where I live.

Galaxy S4 32GB for Verizon did come out yesterday for $299 though...

jcpb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
I guess it depends on when what comes out.

Right now I have an iPhone 4 (Verizon) so its been about 1.5 years. Hopefully iPhone 5S and Nexus 5 come out around the same time.

If I were to go Android I want to go stock, I dislike Touchwiz or Sense.

Two main barriers from me getting an Android phone are:
1) I'm somewhat invested in iOS ecosystem
2) iPhone is on Verizon on Day 1, I know lots of Android phones which carriers control and stuff. its annoying
I had a 4S when it launched so its a bit over 1.5 years. Currently playing with an unlocked S4 (int'l LTE i9505) rooted and flashed to CM10.1.

An iPhone without a SIM card is essentially an iPod with GPS, as in, you can't make calls with it or use 3G/4G/LTE data with it, but can still use it with offline map apps.

----------

That's the problem, its $600 unlocked.

I go by Verizon with 2 year contract.

Yes I do know all that 'you actually save more money' but I'm also on a family plan and Verizon is actually good where I live.

Galaxy S4 32GB for Verizon did come out yesterday for $299 though...
Verizon S4 has locked bootloaders and Touchwiz, plus you have to wait for the telco to release updates unless you root unlock and flash ROMs yourself.

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
Congratulations, you've successfully used the first fallacy of MacRumors: All Android phones lag

For your next challenge, try the following:

'I'd love to try Alternative Product X, but I'm too invested into the ecosystem, so I'm going to invest some more'

I do not accept the price as I didn't say all android phones lag, I said the GS4 lags what do you want me to say?

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I'll give you that. But until they take the layer of frosting off the top (Java)---it'll take more powerful hardware, more RAM, faster GPU and storage JUST to achieve parity with iOS and it's 'smooth-ness'.

Any data to back this up? How do Android Apps which utilise the NDK fit into this little theory of yours?

Given that stock Android is *much* smaller than iOS in terms of required storage, how does storage figure into this?

Can you provide me some information with regards to some of the "tricks" that iOS uses to achieve this smoothness? Compare this to some of the same sorts of things Google has been doing with Android has been doing in the last year?

Would you care to comment on my opinion - From the start Apple concentrated a large amount of resources into "superficial" aspects of iOS such as this fluidity you mention at the expense of depth of features. Google has done the opposite with Android, they initially placed all their emphasis on reaching (and then significantly exceeding) the feature set of iOS and only in the last 12-18 months or so have been concentrating on UX.

Considering you're speaking with all the authority (albeit without any hard facts backing you up) of someone who is an expert (maybe developer) i'm pretty sure you'll have no problems providing specific answers backed up by sourced data.

(hint: I can provide you with a pretty detailed run-down on all of the above questions I've asked).

----------

Apparently you just don't 'get it'. Apple releases features when they're ready for prime time. When they DON'T slow down your user experience.

Really? I can go digging for many many threads in this forum about how the initial releases of both iOS 4 and 5 bogged down on anything but the absolute latest iPhone.

Did you ever use OS X 10.0 or 10.1? I did and I felt like a beta tester.

Apple is as much a victim of software regression as any other vendor. Perhaps you need to remove those Apple coloured glasses!

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I like having both iOS and Android, so iOS 7 would have to crash and burn pretty hard for me to dumb the OS altogether. I may just skip the 5s upgrade though. I already feel like upgrading to the 5 from the 4s was a complete waste for me.

I feel precisely the same as you do. I'm using my iPhone 5 and my Galaxy S4 concurrently. Like anything else both have their pros & cons.

For my heavy usage using it for a plethora of tasks, the S4 meets my needs ideally. The iPhone 5 doesn't. Yet as a huge Apple enthusiast I'd sure like to see them catch up.

In the mean time I'll stay with my iPhone 5 and not make the same mistake I did by selling my much loved 4S for this stretched out likeness.

I'd like to think the iPhone 6 will be a good rival, yet I may have to wait till iPhone 7. With Apple one never knows.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
yes they do lag. even the GS4 lags

Jony delivered, do not want android

the GS4 lags because Touchwiz is a poorly coded skin. Not Androids fault. Put pure Jellybean on the GS4 and the lag disappears.

I've had skins severely lag up my iPhones when I installed them on Cydia, doesn't mean iOS "lags". (It does though, iOS always has and still lags in areas.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
This whole "Android lags" is laugh out loud funny.

I switched from a iPhone 5 to a Note 2 and never have experience lag. Maybe cause I'm conscious about what I install but I feel that goes both ways; if you install tons of crap on your iP5, you're going to get lag.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.