Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
California
Is Quickbooks the only app that handles multiple "lines of business"? In quickbooks, that's called "classes" and is a great way to distinguish between locations or whatever.

I find it hard to believe that other accounting packages don't do the same thing but call it something else, but I have yet to find one. Maybe it's only in super high end systems costing thousands of dollars?

Is there a fundamental way other accounting systems are addressing "classes" that I'm simply missing?

Quickbooks is one of few apps that keep me from being fully operational on an iPad. An accounting app on the iPad that also handles lines of business would be great.

RUGERMAN

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2010
Multiledger

Is Quickbooks the only app that handles multiple "lines of business"? In quickbooks, that's called "classes" and is a great way to distinguish between locations or whatever.

I find it hard to believe that other accounting packages don't do the same thing but call it something else, but I have yet to find one. Maybe it's only in super high end systems costing thousands of dollars?

Is there a fundamental way other accounting systems are addressing "classes" that I'm simply missing?

Quickbooks is one of few apps that keep me from being fully operational on an iPad. An accounting app on the iPad that also handles lines of business would be great.
If you were talking about working on a Mac I would say take a look at MultiLedger, excellent program that I think is better than Quickbooks. Don't know about the iPad.

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
California
If you were talking about working on a Mac I would say take a look at MultiLedger, excellent program that I think is better than Quickbooks. Don't know about the iPad.

Also look at AccountEdge. Not cheap, but not 'thousands' either.

OK, but how do those two do the equivalent of classes to track multiple lines of business? I perused their sites, and I'm just not seeing it.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
OK, but how do those two do the equivalent of classes to track multiple lines of business? I perused their sites, and I'm just not seeing it.

Check with a consultant (in Canada the consultants can sell and service AE, and therefore there are the place to go to get questions answered.) I don't need that feature, and therefore I don't know how it is done.

yvr

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
account edge

I use Account Edge for my wife's law practice. I use the "jobs" feature to distinguish a particular client/file. You can name the job whatever you want, it's independent of the particular account(s) a transaction is posted to. I think this would work for your classes matter. I've also used the phone support service from Account Edge, both pre and post purchase, and found them very helpful. The online help topics are easy to follow. Downloading transactions from the bank also works well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.