Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macgirl89

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2009
New York, USA
A little while ago I was downloading a big package of videos off the Internet. I realized that it was going to take too long so I quit the download; however, some videos were partially downloaded, so I decided to just delete all of them. I usually empty the Trash securely, so that's what I did and it was stuck on "17" for a while, so I quit emptying the Trash and deleted items one-by-one (thinking it would not take as long/be easier). Well, one of the partial videos I decided to delete is STILL trying to empty! It's been saying "Items to delete: 3" for 10 minutes now. I went in Activity Monitor and quit and force-quit the Locum process... to no avail. The Trash will not empty and will not stop trying to empty. What do I do? Help!!

Punker

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2009
1. i'd reboot and try again

2. If you have path finder installed and it's set to stop finder. Tell pathfinder to restart dinfer, empty the trash and kill finder again

macgirl89

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2009
New York, USA
I ended up doing a hard shutdown, which I really didn't want to do. I wasn't able to do a normal shutdown/restart because Trash was still running. Everything seems to be working fine now, though.

Darthmnkyrpm

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2012
Not sure if this is still relevant, but if you open the Force Quit window from the Apple menu, you should be able to restart Finder, which will stop your Trash from deleting. Then try turning off the Empty Securely setting in Finder preferences. This should make your trash delete much faster.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Not sure if this is still relevant, but if you open the Force Quit window from the Apple menu, you should be able to restart Finder, which will stop your Trash from deleting. Then try turning off the Empty Securely setting in Finder preferences. This should make your trash delete much faster.

I'm not sure if you realize it, but this is a 4 year old thread.:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.