Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dirkjello

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2013
Hi folks,

I installed a new NetGear R6300 WiFi router as an access point into my existing wired network this weekend. After some difficulties in getting the new router configured as an access point, I finally got everything working this afternoon... except that screen sharing no longer works.

I can tell that the other systems on my network are capable of sharing, but every time I try to connect to one of those systems, screen sharing hangs and eventually times out. I figure it must be a setting somewhere in the router config, as everything worked fine until I had to swap hardware around. However, I don't see anything obvious that might be the culprit.

Does anyone have any advice for getting screen sharing working again?

Thanks,
Jeff

dirkjello

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2013

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I have to open ports for the internal network? I'm not trying to do Screen Sharing from outside of my network, only between machines in the house...

I don't recall having to set up any ports on my old router; unfortunately, it's fried so I can't go back and look at the config.

Then reset that router and set it up again! Then think about replacing that router if it keeps getting fried. That should be your clue to replace that flakey cheap router.

OldManEmu

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2013
Are you using the 10.0.1.1 IP numbering or the 192.168.1.1?

I know in my networks the 10.0.1.1 is the only system that is "discoverable" between macs. Only machines with an IP starting in 10. are listed in the Shared section of Finder...others are not.

However Screen Sharing does still work, simply use the IP of the machine you wish to connect to and specify port 5900 or 5901.

example: 192.168.1.1:5900

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.